QB's 2017

Not to deviate from the position too much, but I’m wondering if Williams is back next year. Torn ACL in October? A 6-month recovery puts us just in time for camp. Might be optimistic. Maybe they bring him back at a reduced price due to the uncertainty as to his status.

I think Williams is going to be a FA, too. I wonder what interest he’ll garner from around the league. He’s always a danger when he touches the ball, but he’s not the most sure-handed receiver in the league. Add in the injuries and high salary and I’m not sure how Ottawa will handle him.

To deviate even further! :stuck_out_tongue:

IMHO, Williams was Harris’s favorite go to receiver, as Ellingson was Hanks favorite.
If they plan on Harris as the starter, I would think that he would like to see Williams back.

That being said with Earnest Jackson, Ellingson and Williams all 1000 yard guys and all free agents,
One will have to be released, you cannot keep all 3, which one is the question.

The priority is signing Jackson and Ellingson. Criner replaced Williams and made some incredible catches in the Grey Cup and in the East final, he may not have the blazing speed that Williams has but he looks like another 1,000 yard receiver. If Williams had not got injured I think they would have tried to re-sign him but it is a bit of a gamble to keep a guy that may or may not be as fast as he was and it’s a long recovery period.

Williams other role of punt returner was lost while he was healthy . Williams will not be resigned . Jackson and Ellingson are too important to the team .

Williams not resigning frees up lots of money for the other two and a defensive player resigns as well .

Harris will need to adapt without Williams .

If Franklin (25) is as good as they say and with Reilly’s (32) style of play, why would Edmonton even consider trading Franklin, a star of the future ?
Reilly maybe ?
ask Toronto how this works out.
I can see the possibility of moving one of the 2 but defiantly not to the Riders ?
even though they have had dealings this past year, the players involved were not franchise players.

Franklin is only under contract for next year and he wants to start and make starting money, and if he has NFL aspirations, needs to get his resume started sooner rather than later (not happening for awhile with Reilly there, and probably doesn’t just want to be an insurance policy), if he goes FA in 2018 Hervey gets nothing for him. Depends who comes up with the best offer…and in light of the situation, nobody’s mortgaging the farm for it.

We are in a mess.
The cupboard is definitely bare.
Ray has been done for a couple of years now.
The team and I blame Barker and Milanovich, made huge mistakes in first letting Collaros then Harris go.
Now with the stupid trade for Willy, who knows what plan B or C may be?
Like everyone else out there in the Franklin trade hunt, that's one possibility.
I am not sold on Nichols and Durant.
The latter is a few years younger than Ray but still on the down side of his career.
Would remind me of the horrible Joseph signing when we had Bishop?

I can see Reilly being potentially moved because of age and contract. ?
the intangible is that Franklin is unproven but 6 years younger and showing a lot of potential ?
the but factor is that potential does not always translate into success.

Argos in this league with so many FA’s can recover quickly. Also I think, GC champs can loose what they have in 1 season because of it. If FA is going to stand in future then roster size in the upcoming CBA’s have to increase. 5 more at $65/yr is $325,000.

Willy’s game film must be assessed until FA period starts. If they don’t like what they see, then they try to sign Durant, and Willy becomes a backup under a new contract and Ricky becomes a player/coach. They could if they wanted to work a new contract with Willy right now . If he won’t sign then they release him.

Also during FA period, Argos must be fully active picking up the best OL and DB’s they can sign. We saw Calgary’s OL, teams need to be near NFL caliber but faster to make the CFL game work. sprinkle in a wideout to give Argos QB’s a target and sign your own FA before Feb if you like the work they had shown. They also have the tenth pick so they should be able to draft something pretty decent. sounds easy doesn’t it, ArgoT

Basically right on. However one major move will happen/ which one!!!

First two picks are dead wrong
Last two picks maybe!!!

As there is a flow of a few players between the NFL and CFL annually, it’s noteworthy that the NFL is a mess in this regard too.

Let’s take the current QB stats in 4-down pro football, sorted by yards per game, for starters:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS_GAME_AVG]http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... S_GAME_AVG[/url]

The top 20 through Cam Newton, who is having a poor season but is going nowhere, are solidly here to stay plus guys like Tony Romo (probably near retirement anyway), younger quarterbacks like Trevor Siemian, Carson Wentz, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, and Paxton Lynch. And so we have about 30 QBs who are going to stick with the NFL and have potential as starters if not already and then as for the rest, well, have a look and do you want them? :roll: Some will manage to turn into decent backups down here too.

Let’s note it’s not as if all the guys on the list above could play 3-down football well too either even if they were inclined and available.

Out of the NCAA, well often some fine passers who do not make the NFL cut do come out of the spread offenses of the Big 12 and the non-Power conferences plus out of the second division FBS and third division Division II. And so the few solid CFL backups plus these guys are your new talent pool.

So is the overall talent pool at QB for the CFL thinner than usual? I’ll leave it to you fans of the CFL who have been at it far longer than I to discuss that matter.

I’m thinking that Burris retires at the top, for that’s a great way to go out. How did his situation to obtain Canadian citizenship work out though? I read that he was encountering many challenges.

As far as I know Burris is still waiting on his citizenship .

All the more reason to retire from football and get a real “full-time job”. :roll:

I think he was trying to obtain “landed immigrant status” or Canadian residency. Citizenship takes another 5 years after becoming an official resident. He was trying to fight the rules because they defined the CFL as temporary work, the same status as the temporary workers that come in from the Carib etc at harvest time.

I think the league needs a franchise player exclusion rule to the cap.
I know people will say that's what got the league in trouble in the 90's.
It won't now with the SMS and much higher TV dollars, this has to come into play on top of the current cap.

Montreal - Vernon Adams Jr. will be the starter (lots to learn but lots of potential)
Ottawa - Harris will be the starter. Burris will back him up.
Toronto - Who knows? I would start Lefevour if I were them. Willy is done. Ray will be the back up.
Hamilton - Collaros will be the starter. Agree that Lefevour back in Hamilton would be a good option.
Winnipeg - Nichols will be the starter.
Saskatchewan - Durant will be the starter.
Edmonton - Reilly will be the starter. Franklin will back him up for more money.
Calgary - no change.
BC - no change.

No, Masoli is there. They are about equal.