QB who should start next week in Montreal.

Thats the media twisting a quote around to make it sound like something was said that really was not. “because he can pitch in” says it all. If Marcel is smart he will stick with Porter and use Glen if needed.

Actually it does cause I buy more Cat’s tickets than most of the people on here…

Just because the Cats beat two horrible teams doesnt give you the right to be snooty or rude.

Hate to say it but section31 is correct. In my opinion, Montreal is unbeatable at this point in the season especially in Montreal. That's not to say a miracle can't happen but ....
Judging from what I saw in yesterday's Montreal game, whoever starts as QB is going to be running for their lives if they can't get the ball away real quick. That's why Cats should start Glenn. He has the tools to deal with the Als ferocious pass rush right now. I think the coaches have to make decisions based on the tools each player offers at any given time. And Glenn is the guy for the next game. However, considering the strength of Montreal at this time of the year, even if the Cats start Glenn, Porter will be in by the second half and vice versa.
In saying that, I wonder how long it will take before Montreal gives their backup some meaningful time at QB. They seem to be betting everything on Calvillo and that's dangerous. Montreal will be beatable in the second half of the season but right now their offense is too far ahead of most other team's defences. But it will be interesting to see what ours can do next week.

I'd put my money on Porter starting but I think Glenn should. In fact, I think KG should've been the starter in Game 1 with an eye to working in QP over the course of the season to eventually being the 1st string QB. But now that they've made the decision to make QP the starter, they can't really appear to be playing musical chairs at QB at this point.

Unless QP really bombs, it's his job to lose now.

An Argo-Cat fan

If you don’t want me to be “snooty” then don’t come here saying it won’t matter who starts next week. If you want to come here and troll you will take what comes at you. Go back under your bridge, troll.

Also, just because you buy things from the Cats doesn’t mean your opinion matters to me or anyone else here.

IMO, it’s unlikely Quinton will not start next week, oskee.

and he will be told who is starting by the first practice.

Marcel didn’t want to commit in the media right after the game.

Why should he? That would help Montreal a tiny bit with their game prep.

Coach Sal said on the radio broadcast that Marcel was
frustrated several times with some things Quinton did

and Khari Jones relayed several suggestions over to Quinton.

Marcel is a big believer in not thinking that he can completely assess
any player’s performance from his spot on the sideline during the game.

The things that Quinton appeared to be doing wrong
will be looked at on film and discussed with him.

Then, Quinton will know some things he has to improve on
if he doesn’t want to pulled next week and in the future.

I don't believe there is (or should be) any QB controversy here. Kevin Glenn was brought in to be an experienced QB off the bench should Porter falter. That's exactly what happened yesterday; Porter was having difficulty moving the offence into the red zone; Glenn came in and led the Cats to 2 TDs. That is the role he was brought in to play. I expect Porter to start in Montreal, and if he falters, in will come Glenn.

Porter should start against Montreal.
But I thought it was a smart move putting in Glenn last night.
We needed a spark to catch Winnipeg off-guard and who better to provide that than the former Bombers QB.
I don't think this had anything to do with any QB controversy. It looked to me more like applying good strategy because we were playing Winnipeg. :thup:

I don’t expect my opinion to matter here, anymore than yours or anyone else’s.

This is a public forum for fans of the CFL in general and the Cats in particular.

If it makes you feel better to name call, thats OK with me because I suspect that next Friday morning you might not be quite so frisky.

Miracles can and do happen, but it is very likely that the Als are going to win regardless of who starts or finishes.

That is my opinion, and is probably shared by many here…

I don’t expect it to “matter”…it should’nt matter to you. What should matter is your family, your job, your health, your happiness.

If my opinions are contrary to yours, big deal! Don’t read them…

Or better yet…tell me in a civilized why why you think I’m wrong…calling me a troll doesn’t prove me wrong.

Bellefeuille said in the post-game show on CHML that he put Glen in to allow Porter to step back and get a different perspective. He indicated his intention was that Porter would go back in, but as the half proceeded, he chose to leave Glenn in.

Porter’s last play was a bad pass forced by a pass rush that was intercepted. It was a bad decision to throw the ball. Porter paid the price by being hit hard.

Was he shaken up? Was Bellefeuille’s decision an attempt to settle his young quarterback down? Was the choice made at a “gut level”?

Regardless, it worked. It contributed to a very exciting game and an emotional victory.

What has to happen next is clear.

Porter had a very strong half and is the starting quarterback. If he is not 100%, or if he faulters, Hamilton has one of the best back-ups in the league. As a team, the Ticats need to continue to put their strongest lineup forward, and win.

The coaches need to keep it simple and their message clear: Play as a team. No individual egos. No quarterback controversy.

Know your job. Do your job. Win.

Here is an idea… we Cat fans have not had a winning team in years. Let us enjoy a bit of happiness without coming here and saying it won’t matter who starts. You’re being a buzz kill. We deserve to enjoy a win.

Am I on the Als forum being a buzz kill for your teams recent victory?

I knew it.:wink:

Now, Tom, time for a BGR poll. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do not forget the Adam Tafralis or “Danny McManus sans mothballs” options. :wink:

I mean, if we want a QB controversy, might as well go whole hog and make it a revolving door.

Oski Wee Wee,

Start Porter and use Glenn in the second half if he falters. Just like this last game.

Disagree.

He wasn’t too bad. but I thought he could have played better.

He missed some open guys while under no duress. He was slow in decision making and was unable to finish any drives. You’re not going to win many games with a couple of field goals per half.

I still think he shows lots of promise, especially with his poise. He’s still learning.

That’s too easy. I recall Marcel using the word “blueprint” after the BC game. It would be nice to have one. Let the lad learn, knowing that Glenn is there to provide a spark if need be.

Oski Wee Wee,

I don't think we can win a Grey Cup with Glenn. He's proven to be a "good" quarterback but not a great one, and that isn't going to change. Porter still has a lot of upside. I like the decision to yank him (we DID win), as long we continue to start him in the future. Porter could have won us the game too, by having some time to think about what they were doing to him on the field at half-time, we'll never know. We must developer Porter, and you can't do that properly with him on the bench.

Using that m.o., Mike Holmgren would have BURIED Brett Favre, year one after he came in for Don Majkowski. Yes, if Quinton does force the ball and make bad decisions, affect his playing time. Make a shorter hook. But understand this: Kevin Glenn is not the future of this team at the QB position, IMHO. And Bad Glenn does enough against what Good Glenn accomplishes that the present won’t be helped along by having Porter carry a clipboard and go in cold when we are trailing etc. etc.

Porter can learn from the sidelines watching AC at work when the O is off the field or when he gets pulled for being egregiously stupid with the ball. Not as Captain Clipboard when his team has won two in a row with him starting games.

There is a formula at play and it’s working – a “blueprint” as Marcel called it in B.C. To paraphrase Holmgren, it’s time for Marcel to tell Porter that he is joined at the hip with him and run with Porter as the de facto starter. Glenn is best for what he did last night, my armpunting heart attacks aside watching him.

Oski Wee Wee,

Yes.

This is exactly why we brought Glenn here.

Porter is not a rookie. He was on the roster all of last season. If he has to play a full season as a starter, how is he ever going to get in if you think he’ll always be a rookie?

Guys don’t learn on the bench. They have to play. When he gets in trouble, then you pull him. Plain and simple.

Porter looked okay last nite. The INT wasn’t his fault as he got smoked just as he was releasing the ball. He missed a couple receivers high and a couple bad snaps by Hage threw off the timing of some plays.

Glenn looked okay last nite. The first INT was behind the receiver, the second INT he should have just ran. I noticed that he had happy feet and wasn’t set when he was back in the pocket and he too was overshooting the receivers. Again, Hage had some bad snaps.

What Glenn did last nite, Porter could do any day of the week.

I think it’s a good sign though that we were moving the ball early in the game. If you look at Winnipeg, they were only moving the ball by running. Our run defense looked bad in the first half and don’t understand why Winnipeg just didn’t pound the ball all nite. Lefors didn’t complete a pass in the air for more than 10 yards (meaning that he threw the ball no more than 10 yards before the yac yards) and was not accurate at all.

Porter is the now and the future. This is the guy we need to go with. He needs the experience and he can take what he saw Kevin Glenn do and apply it to his own game.

Sounds good to me Al. :thup: