QB Rakeem Cato Signs

You're probably right. I just really want to see Johnson gone, and I don't understand why it's taking so long when we've got a logjam at receiver and the guy failed to show up for mini-camp. Does he have incriminating pictures of Popp and Higgins?

Pas très motivé, le gars. Il arrive avec la tête ailleurs.

[url]http://new.loganbanner.com/news/sports/153547771/Herds-Cato-signs-with-CFLs-Montreal-Alouettes[/url]

Ça commence à être douteux. Croyez-vous une seconde que les Alouettes lui ont promis 100 000$ par an maintenant?

[url]http://www.wvva.com/story/29083908/2015/05/16/marshalls-cato-signs-with-montreal[/url]

Ugh. “The ultimate goal still remains to become an NFL quarterback, but I intend to make Montreal the best team in the CFL and to win championships,? Cato said.

Oh, thanks, Rakeem. We’re so grateful that YOU will make us “the best team in the CFL”, because without you, why gosh, we’d have no chance at all. :roll:

Catos signing was tweeted by his agent Joseph Schulz ESQ. (thats his handle), and also announced in his hometown newspaper:

[url=http://www.loganbanner.com/news/sports/153547771/Herds-Cato-signs-with-CFLs-Montreal-Alouettes]http://www.loganbanner.com/news/sports/ ... -Alouettes[/url]

Like the Collin Kline signing last year I am not getting too excited.

You also have to feel for a guy like Cato, and Bridges also for that matter.

These guys have trained, practiced, played all their adolescent lives with the dream of making it in the NFL. They fail to make it through an NFL tryout camp and their next best alternative is the CFL. But in the CFL they start as the No. 4 or 5 QB, with limited reps and with the best likely scenario of ending up on the practice roster at $500-600 a week.

They can always retire and get a real job :wink:

The problem is if you go by their resumes, when they flip the burgers they`re going to miss the spatula. :smiley:

Your BAD !

Je comprends, mais de se pointer à Montréal avec le but avoué de retourner dans la NFL montre qu’il n’a pas le coeur au présent. Son idée n’est pas qu’il doit apprendre le métier et qu’il aura une opportunité de le faire (comme Marsh) mais qu’il est déjà si bon qu’il ne sera que de passage à Montréal avant que la ligue aux gros salaires ne lui fasse signe. C’est exactement l’attitude qu’il faut pour qu’il ne survive pas à la première semaine de camp.

Comment pense-t-il que serait perçu au sud de la frontière de ne pas avoir réussi à s’aligner avec les Alouettes?

Il devrait se commettre entièrement à devenir un quart-arrière professionnel maintenant, plutôt que de croire que de s’y investir à reculons. Il a de la concurrence sérieuse dans cette brigade, ne serait-ce que celle de Marsh. Ce dernier n’a pas eu les faits d’armes de Cato dans la NCAA, mais il est au sein de l’équipe depuis 2013, il est un des meilleurs sur les faufilades et il est loin d’être perdu sur un terrain de football. Cato a des croûtes à manger avant de rêver à la NFL.

LeStaf. I think a lot of guys come in the league with this idea. He's hardly unique. Popp once said, players don't know this league or this country for the most part, so you never know till they show up.

For what it's worth.

Cato skipped an awards dinner this past Sunday where he was going to be named West Virginia's Amateur Athlete of the Year for the 2nd year in a row. He could not make it because he was going to Canada.

[url=http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x370453180/Cato-misses-VAD-because-of-CFL-commitment]http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x ... commitment[/url]

Good for Rakeem for doing this. I think deep down we are all rooting for him.

As an Alouette fan for more years than I care to admit, I tend to get cynical because of all the high profile QBs that have passed through without leaving a mark. Also, we all love our CFL here on the forum, and tend to get sensitive when we think someone is just using it as a stepping stone to the NFL.

I'll root for him if he has the right attitude. Like sheldon, I've grown weary of all the high-profile athletes who think that the CFL is just a pit stop on the way to fame and fortune. These kids all think they'll be "the one." Well, the number of QBs who end up in the NFL after having been bypassed in the draft is pretty damn small. Focus on what's in front of you and excel at that; take it seriously enough to put in the work and don't ever think that our league has nothing to teach you. Nothing puts me off a prospect more than unearned arrogance.

Comprenons-nous bien. Je souhaite à Cato tout le succès du monde, et si cela peut lui permettre d’avoir un poste de rêve comme c’est arrivé à Flutie, tant mieux!

Cela dit, ce n’est pas une recette gagnante que de prendre un travail en pensant à celui d’après. Cato ne réalise peut-être pas qu’il part de loin, mais c’est faire preuve d’un certain lot d’arrogance que de dire qu’il va mener les Alouettes à un championnat pour aboutir dans la NFL. Il n’a pas encore un match professionnel dans le corps et il va nous mener au championnat dans un style qu’il n’a jamais pratiqué, sur un terrain qu’il n’a jamais fréquenté, avec des règles dont il ignore encore tout? Il devrait s’attarder à prendre cette occasion pour en apprendre le maximum, parfaire son art et réussir à se tailler un poste chez les professionnels. C’est déjà assez difficile juste de faire ça.

Pour l’instant, il a devant lui 2 quarts qui ont 2 saisons de LCF derrière eux, un qui en a 3 et un autre qui a été partant dans la NFL. Disons qu’il a des croûtes à manger.

Terriblement vrai! :thup: :thup:

Je comprends très bien ces jeunes,LeStaf. Ils ont grandi aux Etats-Unis et leur rêve est/a été de jouer dans la LNF.

J'ai beaucoup plus de problèmes avec des joueurs canadiens tel Byron Archambault. Lorsqu'il a été invité à un camp de la LNF, il se croyait le meilleur au monde et ne parlait pas trop de la LCF; de même pour son entraîneur. Il me rappelait Etienne Boulay lorsqu'il a eu un essai aux Etats-Unis en 2008. Tout lui semblait si facile. Ne fut même pas invité au camp et ne fut jamais le même à son retour dans la LCF.

J'étais content que Jim Popp ne repêche pas Archambault.

Richard

Pretty clear this team is still looking for "its" quarterback.

Of course. It’d be silly to think Crompton is a franchise quaterback after one season, and Popp knows it. It’s a good thing to be stocking up on quarterbacks, regardless of whether they make it through training camp or not. It’s good competition, if nothing else.

Maybe one day soon one of Popp’s rookie QB signings will last the full 2 years & actually be a wanted free agent when his contract expires. Hey, I’m a dreamer. :wink:

L’article parle d’un contrat de deux ans avec un valeur d’a peu prêt 100,000$, plus les bonis et un option pour un troisième année; pas 1000,000$ par année.

The article refers to a two-year contract with a value of almost $100K, plus bonuses and an option for a hard year; not $100K per year.

Well, this is Popp’s one failure, to date, as a GM. He has not brought a single QB into the CFL who has gone on to any success in this league. We’ll see in the next few years whether Jim can address this hole in his resumé.