QB career numbers

almost every time one tunes in to an NFL/CFL game we're told how much the league is ' QB driven league ' and we're told of the great passing stats posted by Marino, Moon, Elway, Favre, Manning, Flutie, Calvillo,mcManus Brady etc. just think how radically different these numbers would be if the QB's were given the yards thru the air as opposed to yards after catch? Many times you read about a 65 yrd td pass when in reality it amounts to a pass of 25 yds thru the air and 40 yrds gained after the catch, why should a QB be given yrds gained on the ground? I think the career yardage of the guys who played in the 60's 70's was a more accurate reflection of their passing skills/accuracy as a lot of those WR's were possesion type receivers with good route running skills and there were very few guys back then with what we refer to as 'world class sprinters speed'

well.

I also think if it were that way, then you'd have to adjust the receivers as well.

since the QB's pass would be only to the point where the receiver caught the ball, then the receivers yards would be only from where he caught the ball to where he is tackled or scored.

so both the receiver and QB would have very different #'s.

IMO, often the difference between a 25 yard pass play vs. a 65 yard pass and run play is the QB's ability to throw the ball to a spot where the receiver can catch the ball in stride.

If the receiver has to stop/slow to catch the pass or dive for the pass, it ends up being a 25 yard pass play only.

In addition, there are times where the QB finds the open receiver due to blown coverage for an easy 25 yards through the air and then 40 even easier yards after the catch.

YAC yards are a function of the QB and the receiver. I'd bet that Calvillo/Marino/Favre's receivers get more YAC than do Cleo Lemon, Micheal Bishop or Ryan Dinwiddie's receivers.

Of course without the O-line there aren't any completions let alone YAC. :wink:

of course, and there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. There's be far less 300 yrd passing games to the QB's credit, the career passing numbers of these so called HOFers would look very ordinary and I think it would give a far more accurate view of a QB's numbers. I must admit i do like high scoring offences but if you looked at the stats from a texas tech game that read 47-62, 450 yrds it looks like a mighty impressive QB day but then watch the actual game, how many passes of 20 yrds or more are completed down field? few if any what you actually see is a truck load of 8-12 yrd completions with the receiver adding anything from 15-25 extra yardage. I guess thats why QB's from Texas Tech and Hawaii havent been taken seriously over the last 8-9 years

I think cfl and tommy both made excellent points. It's a combination of the two. If you take the yards away from the QB, then you have to take the yards away from the WR, as well, and if you did that, how many 100-yard games do you think a WR would have? Zero. It's teamwork.

Then there is also how many sure catches and yards were taken away from pass interference?

Yes I absolutely agree that its a team game and one component of the team cannot function without the other but if the point of the game is to move the ball down the field in increments of gained yardage and eventually score, it doesnt matter whether a receiver has hundred yard games. In my opinion, its the numbers of the QB that would be significantly altered, how often do QB's throw the ball 45 yrds thru the air and the WR runs it in 20 yrds for the TD? it does happen for sure but not very often and not every week, whereas it WR are always taking short catches and running for big gains. In this league winning teams routinely have guys held under 100 yrds receiving 5 catches for 85 yrds is a good day for a lot of WR so from a stats point of view decreased game yardage might seem like a lack of production but I'm pretty sure most players would happily go thru a season with not one 100 yrd receiving game if it led to playing and winning the Grey Cup or the Superbowl. So even though I agree with you, I still contend that QB's yardage should be those gained whilst the ball is in the air, anything after that should be creditied to the WR. Of course its not going to happen but there you go.

QBs have a pass attempt and pass completed ratio, recievers only have passes caught, how difficult would it be to include in the recievers stats number of catchable balls verses number of catches, ( as this would be a judgemental catergorie what would the criteria be?? )
any thoughts on this?

No doubt almost akin to the tracking of errors in baseball, as all interceptions are charged to the QB no matter what even on a ball the receiver tipped up for no good reason, a drop or such errant tip leading to an interception ought count against the receiver not the QB.

There is an old saying amongst any receivers out there that if you can touch it you can catch it. It's not quite that clear cut, but this is pro football mind you and it is true more than 90% of the time lest a defender make a great play as in a well-time hit or breaking up the arms once contact with the ball is made by the receiver.

Drops and receiver errors ought be tracked just as are all fumbles for all players. If they are in lieu of an interception so be it too I say.