Q: Whitlock Or Porter? A: Both!

I really doubt we see both Whitlock and Porter on the 42 man roster for a game this season, but you never know. Good to keep them both around with how often RBs are injured.

When DE Williams is back, I see him taking Sykes' spot on the 42.

Possibly swap 6 foot 4 Marcus Henry in for Ray Fisher(he had the only drop of the day from our corps I can remember, if he keeps doing that he won't get many chances) once he recovers from his injury. Tall receivers with reliable hands seems to equal success in the CFL(see Montreal) with how small most teams CBs and HBs are.

CB Pittman is supposed to be the real deal, and he's played a bit in the NFL with the Ravens. I'm guessing he'll find his way somewhere in our secondary once he recovers.

Also going to be interesting to see if the team continues to sit Nichols on the one game injured list or if he eventually makes his way onto the 42 in place of Ward. Tillman said they will be keeping both around, but with so little time to evaluate either in real game situations, maybe they rotate them on and off the 42 man roster throughout the season?

[quote

At some point we'll have back all the following import players:

RB Whitlock
DL Williams
OLs Coston, Parquet, or Washburn

And I think three of following imports would have to be off the active roster in exchange:

DB Bonner
DB Bradley
DT Sewell
DB Pittman
[/quote]
One name missing, Duval.

Perhaps Duval will be on the list when Ottawa selects in the 2013 draft?

Essks123: How good is Henry? I didn't see all of pre-season, but from what I did watch, I saw him drop a few passes.

I don't think he was involved much in the pre-season games, but from the comments the coaching staff have made, it seems as though they wanted him starting this week. Like I said, I really think this coaching staff is big on receivers with size.

For the next game against Hamilton; I feel the rush on Ricky Ray will be more so and often. Quick throws into the flat, lots of plays going to the slotbacks along with a strong running game is what I expect. On Defence; this could be the year for an increase in interceptions for the Esks too, although a more sack total would be nice.

it would be aweome if they stuck with a canadian running back

I think all of us on these forums would love to have more Canadian content. Putting the best possible team on the field with the way the Ratio stands right now is important to me. However, the Eskies do have a few Canadian Running Backs on their roster…Off topic; I’m a season ticket holder of the Eskimos and I live in Campbell River B.C., sounds crazy but the way I look at it is a charity with the option to donate my seat. Other charity for me is the Cancer Society and The Heart and Lung Foundation.

They just may do that with Jerome Messam; :cowboy: THE UNDERTAKER"

I didn't know Messam is Canadian (or NI, anyway). We could potentially go with Messam/McCarty. Of course, the problem with Messam is some in BC have said he has a bit of an attitude problem. It'd be great if some of our veterans could reign him in.

At the end of this season will prob have to get rid of one of our RB's out of Messam, Whitlock, Porter and McCarty
I could see Portor going considering we have a bruising back in Messam with speed and elusiveness, a speedy, shifty, big play maker in Whitlock and McCarty is a pass catching route running back with good ball carrier vision and can throw his weight around as well

They interviewed ET on the Team 1040 today and apparently Kavis Reed has taken the kid under his wing,and in return Messam is teaching him how to count past 12. :roll:

Chief, I am not sure if you really mean to bring up the past as clearly Messam is moving past, but what is your issue with him now?

Allow me to point out the simplest explanation, looking back through events, as is also most likely the actual explanation. 8)

1. It’s obvious that with a decent line that Messam is an above average back.
  2. How could you not know he was an NI after all the wails in Paolo style coming from BC when they got rid of him including on these fora?
  3. Could it be that Messam’s attitude was affected in some way by none other than the now apparently awful Wally Buono, who basically amongst other coaching blunders has gone out of his way to not start (drum roll please) 34-year old Jamal Robertson but also to have ZERO backup for him? :roll:

Could you just be happy and accept that at worst we lucked out to get Messam and clearly Messam is in better hands of whomever in Edmonton with the sweet fruit on the tree readily apparent each week?

May all our backs stay healthy all season, and guys on all this business about “too many backs” damnit do you remember last season for awhile when Whitlock got hurt? We were in no-mans land for a few games with the likes of …Fils :roll: before Porter showed up.

Our offence cannot have too many backs given the susceptibility to injury to the position and its prominence or dominance in our game. Hello Cory Boyd anyone?

It’s far easier to replace a key receiver than a feature back, so on with the steamroll of our running back by committee offence! :cowboy:

What in the hell are you talking about? I seriously don't get the hostility. :expressionless: I don't recall ever having an "issue" with Messam.

No hostility here, but I don’t get your comment as is critical of Messam after two games as stated below. :roll:

If your comment were made two weeks ago I could understand the concerns, but why now?

How good does Messam have to perform in order to not even have to mention whatever past he had in apparently a town that was not right for him and now we know is not right for ANY back there!?

And also I don’t get the whining of sorts about having “too many backs” that is creeping in here in other posts too.

Then again there are limitations sometimes when reading words typed by people whom you have never met. :stuck_out_tongue:

Be happy with what we have now I say and let the rest work itself out. :thup:

Like I said in earlier posts,we are the deepest team with talent in the running game in the CFL . Kudos to ET he sure knows how to evaluate talent,on and off the field .

I make an innocent comment and Paolo cries. OK. I won't comment on your boy Messam anymore. :wink:

There could be rumblings going on behind closed doors so to speak that the Esks may/will be bringing players in for certain defensive (ARE WE THIN - THOUGHTS ANYONE?) positions. I have this feeling once Whitlock is ready to go (likely at McMahon) player roster movement is going to happen before the end of July.

Well indeed that would make more sense though I think we’ll be out to the end of August not July. Both Whitlock and Porter in that stable of ours will be heavy bargaining chips in that regard, but then we are into a whole new thread I think for sake of whom we would target now at LB on another team. Teams with quality LBs are not going to give them up now in my opinion even if they need a back.

Here are the two teams that come to mind who seriously need additional backs now though:

Toronto
BC

Toronto has already lost a starter at LB, so that’s not going to happen there in my view. Like Backer stated in the other thread, they could be looking at Cobb as released by Montreal.

Maybe we have something else to examine now on BC when watching the game this weekend?

I would be careful when calling someone a “Boy” :stuck_out_tongue: