Purolator Food Drive!!!

Just remembered they are collecting food tonight… bring lots!!! :slight_smile:

This deserves a bump. 190k lbs is a huge number.

Congratulations Hamilton. By far the best stat of the night.

For public relations reasons (i.e. to not discourage people or sound ungrateful), hunger charities tend not to be vocal about this, but donating money is a much better way to help. Monetary donations allow charities the flexibility to acquire the types of items they have the greatest need for at a particular time (including perishable items that can’t safely be donated), and their consolidated buying power allows them to stretch a donated dollar farther than you can stretch it at your local grocery store.

I get there’s a tradeoff with the awareness and publicity associated with particular campaigns and big reported weight numbers, but if you’re deciding “should I donate food items, or donate cash?”, know that cash helps more.

I agree. But you still need to find a way to get rid of that can of Cream Of Mushroom Soup that nobody in your house wants. ;D

"For public relations reasons (i.e. to not discourage people or sound ungrateful), hunger charities tend not to be vocal about this, but donating money is a much better way to help. Monetary donations allow charities the flexibility to acquire the types of items they have the greatest need for at a particular time (including perishable items that can’t safely be donated), and their consolidated buying power allows them to stretch a donated dollar farther than you can stretch it at your local grocery store.

I get there’s a trade-offwith the awareness and publicity associated with particular campaigns and big reported weight numbers, but if you’re deciding “should I donate food items, or donate cash?”, know that cash helps more."

IMO food items at least get distributedas for donated monies that gets distributed among the CEO’s and such…always donate food items!!!

I’m too lazy to comb through it myself, but if you find a smoking gun in Hamilton Food Share’s audited 2017 financial statement, be sure to let us know:

http://www.hamiltonfoodshare.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-Audited-FS.pdf

Have to agree safetyblitz. We have friends who work at the local food bank, and while food donations are absolutely vital, money allows them to purchase fresh items, and items that people rarely donate, such as toilet paper, dish and laundry soap, toothpaste, hygiene products, etc.

Also, money does not have a “best before date? which for food items, if passed, cannot be distributed. Some of us donors apparently have been known to use the food bank as a means to clear out old pantry stock, if you can believe it :)!