protocol?

I have some questions...Should or are the police required to remove their hat at the singing of the national anthem? There are several cops that don't in our section and i find it slightly offensive.

IIRC they should be saluting while wearing uniform hats.

The Police (and military) should not remove their hats during the anthems.

They are required to stand at attention. The should salute, but are not required.

The Police are neither required to remove their hats nor salute during the national anthem. On a personal note, and quite frankly, I find it more than slightly offensive that some people take any/all opportunities to criticize those who put their lives on the line each and every day to keep the peace! I am certainly not suggesting that the Police are above scrutiny, in situations such as this however, I do suggest that you should concern yourself with more important issues!

Ditto to Mr. Stanley !! :cowboy:

If you find is offensive then I suggest that you don't look at them.

Honestly.. are you at the game to watch football or cops? Let people decide for themselves how much patriotism to show.

+1

What's with this cultural tendency to get so easily offended? Grow some skin and think before you post/speak.

I don't see why people are being so critical of tequila.

Tequila said that it seemed slightly offensive that the police didn't remove their hats during O Canada. So he (she) asked an honest question here in a straightforward way. What's wrong with that? Why does asking a question call for some pretty sarcastic criticisms of tequila's priorities or sensitivity?

I had no idea what the protocol on the police wearing hats during the anthem is. It never occurred to me. Some people have advised here that the protocol is to keep them on. Thanks for that, it's good to know. I guess it is the normal practice, now that I think about it.

The point people are making is that it's a ridiculous thing to be offended by. No one should ever be offended by someone not removing a hat unless you live in a police state.

Wondering why they don't is harmless but being offended by it is ridiculous and kinda creepy.

Thanks Stevehvh. An honest post. Many people on here get their shorts in a knot when our military are slighted in any way. So the Op asks an honest question about the police at the game and gets slammed. I get very annoyed at people who do not remove their hats at events when the national anthem is played. Maybe they are military, maybe they are not. Who know? IMHO if they have their hat on, they should be saluting. There are a few hypocrats on this site.

A REVIEW of all the recent posts show we are in the mid season doldrums.. with a .500 team -- but guys and gals no need to get nasty with tequila for an honest and i suspect innocent question (though i strongly suspect getting offended by the officers actions is not the way to score brownie points here in the tiger's warren)

to set record straight- no they are not required to doff their hats... be happy they are wearing them at all

they are not even required to stand at attention if they are "actively engaged in crowd management." ..: though most situate themselves in locations where it is readily possible for them to stand at attention.

saluting? should do- most police and para military training calls for it but again the codecile... when it is practical and the member is not engaged in crowd management or police related duties requiring their immediate attention....

and that's the rule book from RCMP depot, Ontario Police Academy and most major police services cross the land...

on a lighter note... bring back Ray Bavel and the trip in the 57 grey cup... and ask yourself where were the boys in blue at that moment of Grey Cup history (in those days there were no girls except at the cattle crossing between Eatons and Simpsons) :cowboy: :lol: :lol:

I'm not bothered by the people who don't remove their hats, but I get really angry when people can't stay quiet for the national anthem. There are some people in the endzone who carry on very loud conversations during O Canada despite the dirty looks that they get from fans around them. Last game I had heard enough and actually vocalized my disgust really loudly at the group talking. Of course they showed their class by yelling some rude profanity at me and telling me that they can talk all they want because it's a free country. I just wonder how they think that actually happened, I'm pretty sure it's because our military fought and died for it. I mean how hard is it to stand up and shut up for 3 minutes?!?

From the Government of Canada website:

[b]Etiquette during the playing of the national anthem[/b]As a matter of respect and tradition, it is proper to stand for the playing of "O Canada" as well as for the anthem of any other nation.

It is traditional for civilian men to take off their hats during the playing of the national anthem. Women as well as children do not remove their hats on such occasions.

There is no law or behaviour governing the playing of the national anthem; it is left to the good citizenship of individuals.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm#a11

Two things to note. First, it states that "civilian men" should remove their hats. Service personnel in uniform are not required to do this; in fact, removing their hats is often reserved for special memorial ceremonies, e.g. Remembrance Day. And second, it is tradition only, not a law, so people are permitted to leave their hats on, even if others consider it disrespectful. The same goes for talking during the anthem.

As it says at the end, it all comes down to "good citizenship". Unfortunately, some people haven't realized yet how great their country is, and take it ,and its freedoms, for granted.

While only a "tradition" for civilian men to take off their hats, why did Barrin Simpson leave a sweat band on his head during the playing of the national anthem? Was it that he thought it wasn't a "hat"? Was it ignorance on his part of the tradition to remove "hats"? Was it an intentional slight to our country? Was it the fear that his sweat from the pre-game workout might drip into his eyes? (lol). I only hope that it was something totally unintentional rather than a sign of disrespect.

Sorry zen, but I have to disagree with you. It actually quite ticks me off when people don't take their hats off. I'm a woman and I take my hat off whether it' is required or not. I obviously can't dictate to people what they should or shouldn't do, but that doesn't change the fact that it ticks me off. Almost as much as people who talk through the anthem.

This is not the forum for such an observation ... save it for Bill Kelly and his phone-in show on 900CHML.

It's not what's on your head it's what's in your heart that counts.
Now can we get back to Football ?

Very well said!

8) When I see people eating in a restaurant, that don't take their ball caps off, I find that slightly offensive !!

What if they were wearing a fedora or a cowboy hat?

Maybe try not looking at them. I can't speak for you but when I go out to eat I concentrate on just that.. eating. What is or is not on people's heads is irrelevant to me as it has nothing at all to do with me.

Maybe you just like to stare at people. Didn't your parents ever teach you that was rude?