Proposed Rule Changes for 2019

One of the minor recommendations is the following:

· A kicked or thrown football remain live instead of becoming a dead ball when it touches a goal-post ribbon.

Can someone please tell me what a goal post ribbon is.

I think it’s the wind streamers on top of each goal post–but that’s just a guess.

Weird. Does anyone ever remember a play like this happening? A play blown dead after the ball hits the goal post ribbon?

TORONTO – The Canadian Football League’s Rules Committee is looking to do even more to protect the quarterback.

“There is a real focus here on player safety in general and the health of quarterbacks in particular,? said Darren Hackwood, the league’s Senior Director of Officiating, as the committee wrapped up its annual meetings here.

To further protect quarterbacks, the committee is proposing:

• The ability for the Command Centre to upgrade a 15-yard roughing the passer penalty to a 25-yard penalty for a direct blow to the quarterbacks’ head or neck with the helmet when that player has a clear view to the quarterback, and there are no mitigating circumstances such as a quarterback ducking his head.
  • Allowing the Command Centre to assist Referees with called and non-called roughing the passer penalties including instances where an obvious roughing the passer penalty was not called because a referee’s view was blocked.
  • Whistling a play dead anytime a quarterback carrying the ball gives himself up by sliding .with any part any part of his body. Currently, a quarterback can only “give himself up? by sliding feet first.

The Committee also recommends:

• Coaches should be entitled to a second challenge if their first is successful, giving them a potential maximum of two per game instead of just one.
  • A 10-yard objectionable conduct penalty be assessed for faking or embellishing contact, otherwise known as diving.
  • Spearing on any player be upgraded to a 25-yard penalty by the Command Centre when a blow is delivered with the top of the defender’s helmet and he has a clear view to the opponent and there are not mitigating circumstances such as the opponent ducking his head.
  • If a player receives two 25-yard penalties in the same game, he be disqualified from that game.
  • A kicked or thrown football remain a live ball instead of becoming a dead ball when it touches a goal-post ribbon.

I wonder with all these changes we’re going to see four hour games again :-X

Not I . . . unless ‘ribbon’ actually means ‘post’ in this case . . . or does the league plan on implementing much larger ribbons this season for some reason?

Odd proposal, isn’t it?

25 yards? This has to be the dumbest rule ever ,why not just free points?
Already the most protected player on the field,besides the kicker.

I don’t think it’s a dumb rule, especially if it works and head shots are reduced. Besides, if YOU were the one to get your bell rung, your career and long-term health jeopardized, and fans are robbed of the excitement a quarterback helps provide, you would probably welcome any rule that helps prevent that from happening. 25 yards is huge. No player is going to want one of those hung around his neck, not only because it hurts his team, but because a couple of those could very well be the end of your own career in football. The spears to the head have got to stop for the health of the players and the league. Fans have spoken loud and clear about that.

Except most ruffing the passer has nothing to do with bad hits its players ducking, falling and speed of the game.We all want player safety,I just think there is a fine balance.

That is all covered by the rule change, but of course we’ll have to wait and see how it’s applied in real games.

The ribbon currently is considered part of the goal post. This is simply one of those occasional tweaks and a good one for the odd occasion when the ball hits the ribbon on a very windy day. Play on with the change instead of dead ball, so why not?

This is one of a few good changes proposed however infrequent the new rule would be applied. I hope they don’t do too much else to slow down or screw up more of the game.

Less is more right now CFL.

Get your video review right first before you start making an inordinate number of new rules that also you won’t call or enforce consistently.

Overall good recommendations though definitely they easily can screw up the first two, so unless they do it EXACTLY as noted below I’m against those changes.

In order of the 8 listed above (one has a double bullet):

1. Yes only if it is absolutely 100% clear upon further review - otherwise the call stands

2. Yes though the key word is OBVIOUS. If not obvious, call or no call stands.

3. Absolutely not - QB either slide feet first or ball is live

4. Yes

5. Yes but only if on field and TWO or more officials agree. NO REVIEW OR CHALLENGE.

6. Yes

7. Yes AND the first half of the next game if in the fourth quarter or in an overtime period (i.e. “the late cheap shot rule”)
    8 ) Yes

I don’t know if this protects the Quarterback more or just allows the injurer to get caught easier. By the time these changes come into play, the damage is already done.

kind of an aside, but which already existing rules would you like to see overturned?

i hate that defensive players can only make contact within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. too much embellishment added and too much ground lost on those ridiculous calls. especially because its easy to embellish, the defensive team gets way too penalized

I would like zero contact allowed

Maybe they could start calling receiver initiated contact correctly? No rule change required.

maybe they should use touch FB rules for dbs and receivers. Nobody touches anybody in anyway until somebody touches the ball.

Worst change is the proposed penalty for flopping. Ty Long did it once and everybody demands immediate action. People acted like he committed a crime against the sport.

Or just go back to the old rule - contact allowed within one yard of the line of scrimmage or make it two yards now to eliminate some of the ambiguity off the waggle or line

No thanks. That’s when I stop watching, for then I might as well watch flag football and of course there is no professional flag football league with mass appeal for more than one reason like this one.

“Gee, let’s just let the QB have a almost free pitch and catch like it’s their team workout.”

Uhhh, no. ::slight_smile: