Printers

The Bombers took a look at Printers at a spring free agent camp but didn’t pursue him. Obviously they weren’t impressed enough by him then to give him a call now.

Back then Kelly was his more stubborn self and was convinced how Lefors was the answer.

What does that have to do with calling Printers now? The Bombers would have used their spring evaluation of Printers when making a decision on what QB to go after now and obviously, Printers wasn’t sufficiently impressive in the spring to warrant the call.

I think the point argotom was making was that given Kelly's state of mind at that time, the second coming of Warren Moon could have showed up at that camp, and Kelly still would have only had eyes for LeFors.

On the otherhand, they actually signed a QB from that evaluation camp…

…One of Kellys remarks about a qb. at the camp was…’ We had a guy in here (qb.).who thought he knew more than the coaches’… I wonder who that could’ve been :roll: :wink:

Given how things have gone to date, that player may well have been correct.

:thup:

…You mean the player who is presently unemployed and will probably remain in that position the rest of the year…lol lol
…don’t think Kelly was too far off on those remarks…
…argotom…brilliance at the head honchos position was definitely NOT your coaches stong-suit, judging by the last play of your last encounter…and who was the opposing coach…oh yeah …let’s see,the guy who made the comments about a certain qb.lol lol :lol: :lol:

Agreed pappy, Andrus blew it big time by not calling the timeout before the first FG.
Also, I heard Andrus on TSN while being interviewed in Montreal and saying how to the effect he is extremely pleased with the play of Joseph.
Say what, this is exactly what your Kelly was saying about Lefors before coming to his senses? Now will our guy do the same if another bad outing is involved tonight?

Sorry but I still don't see how not calling the timeout was Andrus' fault. He's on the sideline. . . how can he anticipate that the snap count would put them into a delay of game penalty? Eiben's the holder, he's calling the snap count, he can see the time clock. . . if he realized he wasn't going to get ball before time ran out it was his responsibility to call the timeout. Andrus is way over on the sideline, how could he possibly know at 4 or 3 seconds to go that the ball wasn't going to be snapped on time? Even if he did good luck in getting an officials' attention to call a timeout. Sorry, I see it as Eiben's responsibility.

Anyway back on topic. . . I can sure understand argotom why you want them to call Printers. There's a problem though. The Argos went through a QB controversy last year. . . I am sure they want to avoid a repeat of that. Joseph went through it and you can be sure he doesn't want a repeat. And make no mistake about it, bringing in Printers will cause a QB controversy. If they brought in Printers I don't think Joseph would take the hit as gracefully as LeFors has done. Just my impression. If Printers is brought in my guess is Joseph will demand a trade (BC, perhaps?), and then the Argos would have a starting QB with no training camp and little time to get up to speed. So it doesn't look likely (unless maybe BC would ship either PIerce or Jackson to Toronto in a Joseph trade, thus letting one of them be the starter until Printers gets up to speed).

Yeah, that player. Say what you want about Printers, it is hard to imagine how Kelly could have been more wrong in his pre-season assessment of his QB position.

Yes a QB controversy can indeed be detrimental and divide the dressing room as it did last year. But, that in my opinion was caused by the way Stubler and the management yes were divided themselves and subsequently the HC entered the year and did not name the starter until the end of camp.
Plus, Joseph was deemed as the cancer with his attitude and then going to the owners for an ultimatum.
The bottom line is this, the guy has done virtually zip since he came highly touted in the trade.
At what point do you cut your loses and decide it was a mistake, like Kelly of the BB.
For me there would be no controversy as I would sign Printers, name him my starter and then cut Joseph. What the heck is the difference whether you continue losing with a soon to be 37 year old or what appears to be an upside 28 year old?
There is certainly no one else on the horizon as out stable of QB is bare.

Can't say I disagree with any of that but for the suggestion of cutting Joseph. You might be able to get something in a deal with BC for him, Wally can't be happy with the production he's getting from his QBs.

If Joseph plays poorly this evening, and if BC falls at home to the Green Riders, it may happen. . . Pierce or Jackson for Joseph, maybe a draft pick or two thrown in either way.

But other than BC I can't see any other team trading for Joseph, so if I was Rita and I was going to bring in Printers, before releasing Joseph I'd call Wally and see what interest he might have.

But if that's a no-go, then I think you're right Joseph would have to be released; otherwise it's QB controversy again and I don't think anyone in Toronto wants a repeat of that. And again, the problem there would be that the Argos would have a guy starting who doesn't know the playbook, might be a tad out of shape, and no one really to back him up (other than Don Matthews last year, is there anyone who thinks Cody Pickett has what it takes to be a CFL starter?).

Joseph makes more than $330k per year....that makes him virtually untradeable. If he's released, other teams may pick him up because then he's a free agent and they can sign him to a new deal.

Valid point; but in trade talks perhaps convincing him to take a pay cut might be do-able. If Printers was brought in and Joseph then wanted to be traded, he might accept a paycut to make it happen. Stranger things have happened. . .

The Argos should stick it out with Joseph this year, it's not all his fault. But they need to get him involved running the ball a bit, that loosens him up I've noticed, heck he was a safety in the NFL for while.

It's a puzzler to me Earl; everyone knows that Joseph is a better runner than he is a passer, but ever since he landed in Toronto they've tried to convert him into a pocket passer; both Buratto as O/C last year and Andrus this year have gone that route; talk about trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Add to that a decimated receiving corps that isn't strong to begin with and an offensive ine that is playing poorly, and it's not exactly a recipe for success.

Agree MJ.

Earl, we did after last year and there is no real improvement and so far this year. After tonight if the outcome is as predicted, do we continue to spin our wheels with a QB who is clearly on the downside if not finished part of his career.