Printers fumbles away chance to play hero

Cleveland’s Chris Barclay dashed toward the end zone — and dashed the Chiefs’ chances for a victory — with a kickoff return for a touchdown. Barclay’s 88-yard score came with 1:36 to play and after the Chiefs took the lead on a field goal.
CLEVELAND | Casey Printers was 4 yards away from burying the miserable memories of his dreadful preseason last year.

He was that close to leading the Chiefs to an improbable comeback victory in the final moments.

“When I went out there for the last drive, I told the guys in the huddle, ‘This is what dreams are made of right here.’ We were going to take the ball down the field and win the game,? he said.

That was before Printers fumbled on third and goal from the Cleveland 4 with 30 seconds left. The Browns recovered, allowing them to hold on for a 16-12 win.

The play was only one of the significant ones in a wild fourth quarter. The Chiefs tied the game 9-9 early in the period on a safety, took the lead on Justin Medlock’s 42-yard field goal with 1 minute, 48 seconds left and then lost it when Cleveland’s Chris Barclay returned the kickoff 88 yards for a touchdown.

The final drama belonged to Printers. He finally did something neither Brodie Croyle nor Damon Huard could, which was get the Chiefs into scoring range.

A perfectly placed 21-yard pass to Chris Hannon put the Chiefs at midfield. Printers later scrambled 14 yards and, combined with a Cleveland personal foul penalty, pushed the Chiefs to the Browns’ 8.

Two plays later, Printers fumbled coming out of center, ruining his storybook finish.

“He’s trying to pull out of there (too quickly). He knows they were blitzing,? coach Herm Edwards said. “It would have been fun for the young guys. He orchestrated a nice drive there. He made a couple throws. He got out of the way (of the pass rush) and scrambled a couple of times.?

Printers said, “I knew what they were trying to do. In order for me to get the ball off, I was going to have to shoot back from center because I knew they were bringing the house.

“It was just a miscue I wish I could have back.?

Printers, who was dismal in an infamous preseason loss in Houston last year, wasn’t significantly better this time. The Chiefs went three plays and punt in each of his first three possessions.

Then he fell 4 yards short of making it all good at the end.

“If you’re looking at this preseason game compared to last year, it’s like light years (difference),? Edwards said. “He’s way ahead of where he was last year.?

[url=http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/228714.html]http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs ... 28714.html[/url]

For people who are Printers fans and hope he has a successful career in the NFL, I think the key part of that article is right at the end:

“If you’re looking at this preseason game compared to last year, it’s like light years (difference),? Edwards said. “He’s way ahead of where he was last year.?
That comment from his head coach bodes well....

...I watched the end of that game and I know it's preseason and all but when you have the ball on Cleveland's 3 yard line and you are behind on the scoreboard and you have four downs left and less than 40 seconds to play and you are in your own stadium YOU DO NOT THROW THE BALL!!!!!!!!......holy moley who ever called those two plays (the first incomplete the second led to the fumble) should quietly tender their resignation and get their fry station hat on...

But Red, thats only enough time to get one running play off....remember these coaches need 39 seconds to consider their next play! :wink: :wink: :wink:

The number of timeouts is kinda important.
In the NFL, with 40 seconds, but no timeouts, they likely only get, at most, 2 plays off if they run the ball.

I hope he is either cut and returns to the CFL or tears up the NFL.

After seeing these former NFL starters flop in the CFL, a guy like Printers should become a star down there.

Just to let you know, about 99.9% of the American players on your fav CFL team have played or at the very least been in an NFL training camp.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Printers, obviously the coach likes him.

the guy first off needs an attitude adjustment, then he can come back.. but unlikely.

16 to 12.... another exiting NFL game!

Printers is staying around I think, interesting comment here in a KC paper after last nights game even though he is having some trouble with the snaps:

HEY ALL YOU CHIEFS FANS. i'M A COWBOY FAN BUT FROM LOOKING AT THE GAME LAST NIGHT IT LOOKS LIKE THE COACHING STAFF NEEDS TO TAKE A SERIOUS LOOK AT PRINTERS WITH THE FIRST UNIT FOR A WHOLE HALF. THAT GUY LOOKED REAL GOOD LAST NIGHT

[url=http://pod01.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=61&nav=messages&webtag=kr-kctm&tid=2668]http://pod01.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum.a ... m&tid=2668[/url]

ArgoZ.
I'm talking about guys like Mike Macmahon and Jarrius Jackson who actually started games in the NFL.

These guys are nothing special. I think its the "CFL" tag on Printers is what hurts him.

I mean the stiffs I saw play in that Kansas City game a few nights back would be hard pressed to make it in the CFL.