Printer's agent tossing out cap

To quote Casey Printer's agent concerning him joining a CFL team that can't fit him under the cap... as reported by Sportsnet:

Medlock said the CFL's salary-cap of $4.05 million per team will impact on Printers receiving the kind of money that will make him the highest-paid player.

"We have to look (at the cap)," he said. "There are a lot of ways that you can do deals, but you've got to be creative. If it gets down to a number he likes from a club but it affects their cap, I'm savvy enough to make it work. If Casey decides that is what he wants to do, a deal can happen. I'm not worried about the cap. We can work around that. That's not an issue."

I hope Mr. Cohon reads this and takes a hard stance against this. Mr. Medlock is clearly flaunting the fact that the CFL salary cap has no teeth and that the wealthier teams can buy a championship.

It also would bode well for the Ticats as we have the most cap room to make a solid offer if we chose to.

Cheers!

There are a lot of ways that you can do deals, but you've got to be creative.
I think youre kind of misreading his quote. Clearly he believes it has teeth due to the need to get creative when putting together a contract.

Agreed, and its the agents job to get his client the most money anyhow..greasy as it is.

There are loopholes everywhere in all salary caps none are perfect, its just a sad fact.

No problem with getting the most $$$ for your client but it sounds like his agent is confident he can get him anywhere regardless of cap room or not.

I just wish that a cap would actually work and have some serious repercussions for teams that blatantly disregard it. Every commish has promised to enforce this but it still seems to be a joke… Probably just wishful thinking…

Hope he lands here!

Only two teams apparently have stated they are not interested in Printers ...

From the CBC broadcast yesterday ,the Esks and Stamps both stated they are not interesed in him,as they have H.Burris and RR.

Can't you see Printers going back to BC or even the A's...

It's a salary cap that any team can go beyond if it's willing to pay the fine to do so. If the Cats want Printers at a price that exceeds the cap, they can do it provided he wants to join the Cats of course. It really comes down to the ownership. How much is Bob Young willing to pay for players? It isn't like the Cats would have to give up future draft picks or pay any other kind of penalty other than a monetary fine at the end of the year. My guess is that if he returns to the CFL, it will be to one of the privately owned teams and not one of the community-owned clubs.

An Argo-Cat fan

I don't think Casey will be going to B.C. Check out this article on comments Buono makes about Casey.

[url=http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/football/cfl/story.html?id=188a4da5-8518-4001-b3a9-9fbf623ea134]http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/foo ... bf623ea134[/url]
"We have to look (at the cap)," he said. "There are a lot of ways that you can do deals, but you've got to be creative. If it gets down to a number he likes from a club but it affects their cap, I'm savvy enough to make it work. If Casey decides that is what he wants to do, a deal can happen. I'm not worried about the cap. We can work around that. That's not an issue."
But B.C. wouldn't have the financial flexibility to do so until the day after the Grey Cup, which marks the start of a new cap year.
hmm...when printers agent says he can find a way to get printers max money around the cap, i think hell do this:

a team signs printers but only gets his rights, for $0 this season, and printers doesnt suit up for this team all year...the day after grey cup, when teams start a 'new cap year', casey will then have his new contract registered with the league for $500,000+...thus giving teams, like the ticats, the chance to dump salaries ( like maas' ) first and stay under the cap for the '08 season.

Correct drummer_god. The question is... do we want to have him dress this year or roll the dice and wait until the end of the season and playoffs.

Another team's starting QB could get injured along the way and if that team is playoff bound, they may snap up a desirable Casey. The waiting game is a gamble... especially if other team's "star QBs" falter.

Remember his contract would be pro rated so its not like youre giving him 450,000 this season. You sign him, you let him play this year, let him learn the system and players. The in the off season you make the necessary adjustments to your payroll.

honestly guys i don't think the cats head office has the smarts to get this done. Look what they've done so far..

Depressed fan