Pressure on Bighill - re: future role

With current yap having Buck Pierce taking a major pay increase and nabbing the Riders head coaching gig, taking defensive assistant Jordan Younger with him the focus goes to Adam Bighill.

Obviously, Biggy will be 36 soon and he’s done yeoman service in the CFL for both BC & Wpg. Hobbled by injury he made the mistake of hubris and tried to play in the Grey Cup. Lotsa problems.
Bighill’s future kinda tied to Wpg as he has spent the last 3 yrs learning the ropes of the investment business under good tutelage. Most fans including myself would love to see him stay in the Peg. He’s good people - on and off the gridiron.
Defensive coordinator? OK, he has zero coaching experience. But he’s been a great on-field coach. He sees things, he detects tendencies. If Younger goes w/ Pierce to Regina, perhaps they keep Bighill as a defensive assistant, grooming him to take over from Richie Hall in a year or 2.
Hall did nothing to increase his stock in the Grey Cup.
Only problem is Bombers have no real successor to Bighill at MLB. Kyle Walters and his scouting staff have glaring weaknesses bringing in Bighill’s successor. Also, not faring well at bringing in disruptive defensive tackles, relying mostly on outside pressure. Jake Thomas is a gamer but his day is done, good bench player, knows the ropes but not 50+ reps a game.

Even Henoc Muambo, if he’s not done would be a good interim replace for Bighill. Henoc is not fleet afoot but prolly a tad faster than Bighill. Obviously, not near as smart. But rumours have Muambo competing for a spot as a TSN commentator.

1 Like

Bighill will be fine. They’ll probably start rotating in other guys during the season. I don’t see Biggie doing the coaching thing. He’ll just continue the career he’s already started.

1 Like

Respect your opinion but Bighill is one of them Americans who’s had the smell 'n sniff of football locker rooms since he was 8 or 9 yrs old.
Its a hard smell to replace. The smell of financial planner meeting rooms is not even close. Mostly a bunch of financial monkeys working ferociously on their tablets, trying to steal each other’s clientele.
Suspect Bighill will rehab his injury until training camp, then assess his game vs. any new American scrap-heapers Walters brings in.

I was also always under the impression that Bighill was serious about his financial services career and that is one big reason he moved his family here. I have no idea how that career is going for him but you would think he will benefit from his local celebrity in attracting investors.

I also agree that he might make a great coach but I’m just not sure that is what he wants to do.

In any event he wants to play one more year and I expect the Bombers will re up him at probably a reduced salary and reduced role. We’ll see what happens after that.

1 Like

I thought that Gauthier played pretty solid in relief of Bighill.

2 Likes

I thought he looked pretty good as well but I’m guessing they’ll still be looking for a younger linebacker. Gauthier will be 32 in February.

1 Like

They will not resign Bighill just because of what he did in the past.
They will keep because he is still of value.
Or they will thank him for his service when retires as a Bomber.
He came to the Peg because he knew he could contribute to a team being successful and hopefully win a few Cups.
Also to learn a new trade for his post football life.
Pretty sure the company he works for has opertinity beyond the current city he lives in. Not to mention what he is now trained to do can be taken to many other similar opportunities. In many many other cities

2 Likes

Depends I would think on how his contract is structured. Playing less downs is usually a pay cut so it will be interesting what kind of player they go after if they do choose to play Bighell less, because I agree that Gauthier, while a capable backup, may nor be the guy they want as Bighills replacement. And in the same way Bighill was Eliminian’s understudy I would think you would want a guy to spend time learning from Bighill for a season.

Walters has some work to do this off season I would think.

1 Like

Investment companies usually have their trainees and mid-level people assemble local portfolios. The best folks are afforded national and international opportunities - so Bighill would have to be an elite operator with a large portfolio bank. I think his investment job stays local another couple years - at least. And at 36/37 he’s basically a child in that industry. Most guys die on the vine or build tiny yet sustainable portfolios.

1 Like

He’s the best LB I have ever watched.

yes I know a few people in the biz

Bighill is under contract for next year, if I am not mistaken. So, unless they ask him to take less, again, his salary is set.

1 Like

Bighill is a hell of a player . I hope he gets healthy and returns to play in 2024 , says this Tiger - Cat fan .

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right. He has one year left on his contract. I thought he was a free agent. I suppose they could ask him to take less but he’s already taken a home town discount so I doubt that will happen.

4 Likes

You never know with Bighill. His income from his investment portfolio might exceed his football income. To savour the aroma of another 20 games of locker room + practices he might offer another $15 to $18k off his current pkg., along with reduced reps, etc.

The opportunity to coach must have entered his mind. He’s a wonderful on-field defensive coach - much better than Solly Bomb Bombs or even O’Shea when he captained in the East.

Time pressures are even greater on a CFL assistant coach so I suspect if he wanted a long term career in coaching, he’d have to sell his investment business to a colleague.

He ain’t gonna coach. He came to the Bombers because he had an opertinity to train for a career post football as an investment advisor… Unless that went south on him but that is doubtful.

2 Likes