Predictions for Saturday's game

Although I know I am probably going to get jumped all over here, I would definitly put Cates in the top three at least for running backs. The man can do it all; run, catch, block. AND the biggest thing he does is he does not turn the ball over. Cates only fumbled the ball twice on 153 carries which is equal to 1 fumble every 76.5 carries.
Lumsden last season had 2 fumbles on 98 carries which is equal to 1 fumble every 49 carries. Reynolds had 5 fumbles on 214 carries which is equal to 1 fumble every 42.8 carries. Roberts had 6 fumbles on 262 carries which is equal to 1 fumble every 43.7 carries. Roberts averaged 5.3 yards per carry, Lumsden 7.3 although he only played 98 games, Jeoffrey Reynolds averaged 5.8, and Wes Cates 5.7 yards per carry.
Joe Smith, although hardly fumbles, still only averaged 5.3 yards per carry, but I must note also had 18 touchdowns along the ground.

So, judging by last years stats I would definitly place Cates at least 3rd out of all the running backs ahead of Roberts, Reynolds and Lumsden for sure, but behind Joe Smith.

Interesting. And nicely researched, I might add. once again, I do like Cates. And if he can put an entire season or two together based on those numbers, he will go up in my assessment. None of these backs is perfect. But the best of the group remains Roberts–who despite a little fumblitus, as you point out, has consistantly been an all-star and is a sure hall of famer, and has been the best or second best back pretty much every year. And I think Reynolds, not Smith is next. Joe Smith needs to back up last year with another good year. Then he might be in contention. Lumsden actually needs to put an entire year together, just like Cates does to establish himself. The big difference here is age–Cates is the oldest guy in the group–same as Roberts–and so he is not really likely to get much better than he is. Lumsden just oozes potential. But I can buy into your theory that Cates, because of his blocking, and no fumbles, could be the 3rd best back in the league. He also got high marks for playing through injury in the play-offs. Heart counts.

Cates has all the tools, there is no arguing that. With a strong O-line blocking for him, a season of experience with the offence and also being the main runner now that KJ is gone I have a hunch that Cates will have a monster year ahead of him.

If we want to go back a couple of years or even last year, Joeffrey Reynolds is not number 2. His average yards per carry might be decent, in fact in the four years he has been in the league he averages about 5.8 yards per carry, BUT in the four years he has been in the league he has had 2 fumbles on 90 carries 1 fumble for every 45 carries, 4 fumbles on 247 carries 1 fumble for every 62 carries, 6 on 259 carries one fumble for every 43 carries , and 5 on 214 carries one fumble for every 43 carries. Again, I would much rather have a back who may average a little bit less per carry but holds on to the ball.
In 2006 with Calgary, although Cates did not touch the ball that often he had 25 carries for 181 yards for an average of 7.2 yards per carry, 2 touchdowns and 0 fumbles. The guy protects the football, and that is key in the game of football.

I have to say, while I think the Esks will have characteristic bad luck playing in the Rider's house, it'll be the Rider's defense that wins them the game. Crandell-Jyles-Durant just isn't the same as having Ray-Maas-LeFors. On the flip side, Edmonton's defenses under Rick Campbell have been VERY shaky the last two seasons.

Prediction: the Riders' D stops more scoring attempts than Edmonton's D, hence Saskatchewan wins.

I think Edmonton will win this one.

Well, Mr. Know-it-all, see KJ’s performance last night? 9 for 17, fumbled and lost a ball deep in his own zone, hardly an MOP type of game. Toronto has some good receivers, and apparently, a decent enough back to win them some games. Sounds a lot like the Riders, does it not? It seems you have a new love affair with a former Rider- Kerry Joseph.

All I said is that we need to support our QB- Marcus Crandell. You may not like him, which is fine, but only in Riderville do we burn our QBs at the stake. Just once, ONCE, would I like to see you say that you are going to cheer for Crandell, warts and all, without all the other BS about what happened in the past.

Yep, it is time for everyone to get behind them to push them forward, not get on top of them to push them down. Go RIDERS!

Pretty sure if you read what I said, Sambo, you will clearly see me state I will be supporting/cheering for Marcus. I’ll bold that part for you…
Considering some of the discussions you and I have had regarding the pulling of QBs, I expect you will be calling for Crandell to be yanked in favour of the next guy long before I will be…then where will your undying support for him be?
And actually, yes, I far and away would have preferred to still have had Kerry Joseph. I’ve made no secret of that fact. But that has nothing to do with the rest of what you are talking about. This forum is filled with people telling me that Crandell will be a superstar this year. I will be thrilled if they are right!!

Guess I was giving Edmonton too much credit. My bad... :roll:

You win! Wasn’t quite right but very close - closest of all in the thread.

34-13

0! Touchdowns…

likely! :lol:

All class, eh, cflisthebestbutimnot?

Got the Rider’s score right, but just like chief I gave Edmonton too much credit.

When it’s the Eskimos? No class is deserved.

Typical. You really do give the other Riders fans a bad name...

To greenandwhite: :lol:

...although, this IS the Rider forum, Chief...you came here talkin', and should expect to take your lumps...

I’m take my lumps from the people who made predictions, not this [use your own imagination] who has a ridiculous hate for everything Eskimos. :wink: