Prediction tools

This might be useful/entertaining for those of you doing the pick'em contest. The Massey Ratings operate the same way.

Visitor's predicted score = Visiting team's offensive rating - home team's defensive rating - (home team's home field advantage rating / 2)

Home's predicted score = Home team's offensive rating - visiting team's defensive rating + (home team's home field advantage rating / 2)

Let me know what you think.

Pure points (the foundation of Jeff Sagarin's ratings) are as follows for next weekend.

Week 4

Edmonton - 19
Toronto - 25

Hamilton - 19
Montreal - 33

BC - 21
Ottawa - 17

Calgary - 6
Winnipeg - 8

Kind of floored Calgary and Winnipeg computes to a low scoring game!

Nothing is normal in the CFL. Maybe it's a ocean :ocean: tide thing :sweat_smile:

Prediction tools and their implementation:
Remove coin from pocket
Assign a team to each side of coin
Flip coin and make decision accordingly
Watch game and note that it's not impossible for a coin flip to be wrong % 100 of the time

1 Like

It seems my predictions are similar to those by the coin😁

1 Like

The coin should have a 50% success rate. Our picks in the VGCC are probably somewhere around 40%. Yikes! :s

1 Like

I’ve been right bloody awful this year

Unbelievable, but it's better to be the road team in the CFL instead of the home team. Being the visitor is worth just over 4 points as an advantage. It's suppose to be the other way around!

That being said, have the referees ever stopped a game in this modern day era for too much noise being made by the crowd while the visiting team is on offence?

I believe that there used to be a rule where the visitors were allowed one free stoppage for noise, but I think that was only in the NFL and I don;t think that rule is still on the books. I can’t remember if the CFL ever had a rule for that or if it was used.

There IS a rule however that states that once the offense breaks the huddle, the PA and house announcer (including music) must be silent or it’s a 10-yard penalty. I have seen that thrown in the CFL but can’t remember when. It was long ago, but I know for a fact that is the rule.