Prediction Time: CFL.ca writers' Week 2 picks

TORONTO —  In sports, things can change in an instant.

A team can be down and out, looking hopeless. It might last a quarter of a game, or a stretch of a few weeks. Sometimes it’s for a season or two. The beauty of sport is that there are no guarantees anything will stay the way that it presently is forever.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/14/prediction-time-cfl-ca-writers-week-2-picks-2/

[quote="system, post:1, topic:78507"]
... instant.A team can be down and out, looking hopeless. It might last a quarter of a game, or a stretch of a few weeks. Sometimes it’s for a season or two. The beauty of sport is that there are no guarantees anything will stay the way that it presently is forever.This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at Prediction Time: CFL.ca writers' Week 2 picks - CFL.ca
[/quote

Without the use of William Stanback
This has potential of a train wreck.
Without their back to tote the cargo
There's little hope against Team Argo.

The pre-game pasta's ravoli,
That's super food for J. Masoli.
The new QB steps to the fore
And Winnipeg they will outscore.

This week the TiCats face a foe
Who has a good & balanced "O".
There's much to like about Team Huf
But 'Cats @ home will be too tough.

Cody's not a "great" QB?
Did Jones not say? This week we'll see.
Like Darian - a "mod'rate" success?
Fajardo wins this round I guess.

2 Likes

Tor
Wpg
Cgy
Ssk

Hey Pants, taking predictions to a whole new level! You’re shaming the rest of us lazy sods.:+1:

I am a little surprised the writers are giving the Redblacks this much credit...but I see it too. In the game of the week, I am picking the upset as well, in a nail biter.

Tor
Ott
Ham
Sk

Gotta have a little fun Pine. Lotta good regular contributors like yourself on this site who make some really witty comments. Have to find a way to keep pace with you guys. :sunglasses:

1 Like

No one should take this very seriously, especially at this time of the year. All in good fun. The same with the power rankings. Those who went 4-0 last week could easily go 1-3 this week. The only thing you can take to the bank after 1 week is that the Elks are terrible and should not be picked to win until they actually do win.

1 Like

Amen to that. My one bad pick last week. Won’t be picking them anytime soon with Calgary, Hamilton, Calgary on deck after the Riders. Yikes!

Interesting fact. Bull Elks shed their antlers every year & regrow them from scratch - much like Jones sheds players when he takes over & starts anew. The antlers also have to be perfectly symmetrical. Looks like growing pains & asymmetry are part of the problem right now. :smiley::sunglasses:

After going 4-0 in Week number one :exclamation: I would be very hard pressed to match that feat for Week 2 :smiley: Here are my fearless picks
Argos-Bombers-Stamps- Riders :wink:

bob-obillovich-2013-1-1360074255

Fellow Canuck Jeshrun Antwi
Will run against the Argo’s ‘D’
He’ll run okay, he won’t embarrass
The pressure’s all on Andrew Harris

Who catches, runs and blocks so fine,
If he plays well MacBeth will shine,
And sling the ball to Brandon Banks,
Argo’s might just roll like tanks.

I have a hunch they’ll get it done,
Those old stars will have it won,
Dinwiddie’s club starts one and oh,
While Khari drops two in a row

I hope the Red Blacks got my text,
They host the angry Bombers next,
Last game Masoli tossed and tossed,
He should’ve won but somehow lost.

Clock management was really dumb,
So now the pressure’s gonna come,
Jeffcoat’s back their fate is sealed,
And Winston’s foot is mostly healed,

The RedBlacks lose this one real bad
They woke the Bombers, they made them mad
And even Zack, his noggin’ clear
Is gonna kick them in the rear.

Meanwhile the Cats are far from fine,
They need to patch their leaky line,
Dane Evans might be plenty tough,
But he’ll soon break it’s getting rough

Bet the farm on Stamps to win,
Their rushers will get in like Flynn,
If BLM can’t can’t get it done,
Jake Maier will beat Hamilton.

That leaves the Riders at Edmonton,
The home team’s bad they’re just a pun,
Chris Jones will soon decide to bail
When his team can’t help but fail

Poor Elk’s fans are outa luck,
Every game they’re gonna suck,
But some team has to finish last,
For them this year can’t end too fast.

2 Likes

Really good work, Maaax. You may be right on Stamps. Hamilton OL has been pretty bad for awhile now & people forget Evans has only had 15 starts going into the season, 4 more than Arbuckle. So, who’s to say he isn’t as big a question mark? REDBLACKS, hey - nobody’s gonna win them all. Bombers over/under is 10.5, so early in the season’s a good spot for an upset. Elks? They checked out early but IMO folks, including so-called experts, are putting too much on one game. Here’s an “expert” opinion from today.

I don’t think you can still be considered a ‘defensive guru’ after your team gives up 59 points in a game.

In the past 4 seasons there’ve been 6 games with 50 or more points given up by one team including scores of 60-1, 64-14 & 56-10. Not that rare. What is rare was Rourke’s passing % was the 10th highest all-time for over 20 passes, as reported on this site. Probably never repeated by him. I’m not yet sold on the Lions & still believe the Elks & Lions bring up the rear. Elks may be losing for awhile when I look at the schedule but I expect they get better in 2nd half - like Jones’ 1st season in Regina. :sunglasses:

1 Like

For what its worth, my picks this week are Montreal, Winnipeg, Hamilton and Saskatchewan.
Although many are high on Ottawa, I'm thinking that they missed their golden opportunity last week when they really had every chance to win that game. I have to think the Blue Bombers are going to be really focused after a lacklustre performance and will be hard to beat in the rematch.
Montreal is just a hunch and believe Hamilton will be much better at home.