Prediction Time: CFL.ca writers' 109th Grey Cup picks

REGINA — Kickoff for the 109th grey Cup is just a few short days away.

The Toronto Argonauts and Winnipeg Blue Bombers each punched their ticket to the Grey Cup with decisive wins in the Division Final matchups, but only one team will be leaving Regina a champion. The Argos are set to make their first Grey Cup appearance since claiming victory in 2017, while the Blue Bombers are on the verge of becoming the first team since 1980 to pull of a three-peat.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/17/prediction-time-cfl-ca-writers-109th-grey-cup-picks/

Go Argos. I wasn't a fan before but Bethel-Thompson has made me one with his passion and love for the CFL. His dressing down of the league's insipid management and failure to grow the game has been long overdue. Look at BC and how its new owner has energized the fans and starting bringing them in. CFL is a great league with exciting games but it has been mismanaged by short-sighted owners and commissioners for so long, it is hanging on by a shoelace. It's time to get real. No more pussyfooting. Bethel-Thompson is right. I hope he does well on Sunday. For him, for the Argos but most importantly, for the league.

3 Likes

All I have to say is that hopefully Zach Collaros should be ready on Sunday to beat the Argos for the Bombers 3rd straight GC Win! Go Blue!!!

2 Likes

Last week 1-1 YTD 55-30.

Like the Argos to take it. WHY???

1. Last 10 Grey Cups, best team was 5-5. The 14 & 15 win teams were 2-3. Grey Cup always a crap shoot. a 15-2-1 team lost to a sub .500 team from East. A 14 win Bomber club lost to an 8-10 club in a previous Grey Cup. Things happen.

2. How healthy is Zach? Never hear the real story till after GC. Is he mobile if he plays? Does he take a shot on the wonky ankle?

3. Worst nightmare for Rider fans - Bombers win CUP @ MOSAIC. Worse yet - Bombers set history winning 3rd straight @ MOSAIC. Would be surprised if there wasn't a lot of noise everytime Bombers have the ball.

Lastly, Argos have a good club. Very worthy of their place in the big game. Let the games begin.

2 Likes

Hymn
Well said sir

I’m not going to quibble with any of your comments except one, that being your statement that the Argos are “very worthy of their place in the big game”. All I can say is no, no and no.

They qualified for the big game under a pro Eastern biased playoff system that allowed them to host the GC play in game as the 4th best regular season team out of nine. Assuming they would have won their first round game at home against the Alouettes, they would have been “very worthy” of being in the GC game if they had beaten BC in BC last week. Only then would we have competitive integrity and could claim that an Eastern team is “very worthy” of being in the GC game.

I would say that “very fortunately geographically located” would be more accurate. We will unfortunately never know if they are very worthy of being in the GC game, even if they happen to win. As many others have pointed out, they weren’t forced to “run the gauntlet” to get to the big game. Great work if you can get it.

2 Likes

Well said Jymn.
For a US born player who is FORCE FED teh NFL Dream to call us a special league and hold the [players in such high regard? Wow!

3 Likes

Toronto needs to put all kinds of pressure on Collaros. Take away those side line passes with an interception or two by Edwards.

1 Like

This is how sports works. Whether soccer, world hockey, cricket, Olympics etc. what you do in the preliminaries, season, heats etc. in all sports means squat outside getting a seat at the table for the playoff, medal rounds. You can go 18-0 (hello Tom Brady) but if you don't win the final game you're not the best team. Your opponents can only play the opponents in front of them. The Argos won the game they had to & that makes them worthy of being there. Everybody knows the rules. The Bombers beat BC rather than MTL. Boo hoo. Would they have beat Mtl? Who knows. The Als beat the Bombers at IGF so you can't say it isn't done because it was. Because your team is not defined by the regular season - it's defined by whether or not you win the CUP - when, literally, the season championship is at stake. It's literally a 50-50 proposition - "any given Sunday". So, Jon, what's at stake? Well, the Bombers can be the 3rd team to threepeat or, given such an unworthy opponent, go down as one of the biggest chokers in a long time.

Enjoy the game. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You missed my point and it has been discussed to death on other threads so I won’t rehash it here. There are no comparable 9 team leagues that favour four teams over the other five.

The Toronto Argonauts seem destined to win the 109th Grey Cup game from Regina. :anchor: MBT and company must continue to ride this momentum :sailboat:, unless they surrender a special teams touchdown, :question: I like their chances against the 15-3 Bombers. :star_struck: May the best team win. :exclamation: :football: :canada:

1 Like

In the 80's the Oilers & Flames went to the Cup final 7 straight years. It was always claimed that it was unfair to the Flames & Jets who also had a great team with Hawerchuk & the rest. Unfair because they had to beat the Oilers & were eliminated early? That's the rules. A couple of years ago the NFL East had no teams over .500 & yet the top team was favourably seeded over other teams with far better records. In the World CUP you had the group of death - some great team leaves early. You play by the rules as they are set up. There's lots of leagues that are set up so the "best" teams as you call them have unfavourable matchups. And there are lots of leagues like the NHL & NFL & MLB where divisions are set up geographically. The fact that geographically some teams are sometimes better than teams from the other area is beside the point. It isn't ordained to be that way - there have been powerhouses in both divisions.

1 Like

Bombers win by a bunch. No way MBT does anything against the Bomber D.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum

Most all of rider fans will cheer for the Bombers.... it is cow town we hate.

2 Likes

Any way we discuss it, it should be a great game. Go CFL!!
(and of course Bombers)

2 Likes

I'm really HAPPY that you are taking the Argos. Considering you were 55-30 overall and 8-11 when predicting games involving the Bombers shows that your prediction is based less on facts and more on wishful thinking. No matter what you tell yourself and others.

3 Likes

The crowd noise will be more of an issue for the Argos than the Bombers. Many of the Rider fans have been selling their tickets and the Bomber fans have been scooping them up. The chance of witnessing a three pete and the short drive to Regina has many fans traveling to the game. Argos fans on the other hand wouldn't travel to the game even if it was being played in Hamilton.

3 Likes

Well, if you 've gone back & done the research, full credit. But let me correct a couple of errors. It's a little thing but in the spirit of being accurate, Bearcat, I actually picked both winners & only credited myself as 1-1 in the semis. So 56-29. Despite my lousy record which could have been inflated on picking more Bomber games, that pretty much puts me up with the experts - so wishful thinking? I can't agree. I can't be accused of picking the easy favourites ad nauseum now, can I?

Secondly, I have said a couple of times I have picked the Bombers lots. Eight IS a lot of games for me to pick the Bombers. The team was in half a dozen one score games after all. I never said I picked the Bombers in the "majority" of games. Considering I picked them to finish 3rd why would I pick them much more than that? Entirely logical. What's "lots" in eyes, Bearcat? 11-8? Still not happy? 16-3? That wouldn't be logical for a team I ranked 3rd in the West. So, Bearcat, YEAH I picked them lots as befitting their status in my eyes. Predictions are guesses, that's all they are. If you want to make a big deal of being right or wrong on "guesses", fine. I don't lose any sleep over my guesses one way or another. :sunglasses:

1 Like