Prediction: Coach of the Year

My prediction for this year's Coach of the Year award:

Whoever wins the Grey Cup.

(Since that is apparently the sole criteria.)

Will get it, Chris Jones. It traditionally goes to the coach who has the team with the biggest turn around.

Should go to Hufnagel. Is there another team that has been as good week in and week out, as consistent week in and week out. No.

Coach on the hotseat: Benevides. Knowing Wally, in my opinion Benevides needs to AT LEAST win a playoff game to save his job. Even then I'm not so sure.

If the rumors of Milanovich wanting out are true, could see him on orange next season. And Benevides might even end up in Toronto in some capacity.

I think any coach who refuses to shake the hand of his counterpart on the other team should not be eligible for this award.

And recent tradition is that the Grey Cup winner gets it, regardless of any other factors. Only one exception in the last 9 years (Barker, Argos, 2010).

Please, please, please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassseeeeeeee take Milanovich. I'll even throw in Barker and a bag of footballs. Don't need anything in return just take him off our hands. P-L-E-A-S-E!!!!

dc...why so down on Milanovich? He'll be a hot commodity I'd think if free.

I personally think he's extended Ray's career by 5 years. Ray had developed so many slow moving mechanical bad habits in Edmonton. Milanovich has cleaned those up.

I vote DCMOSES for new argo HC. Guaranteed to win the cup 5 yrs in a row.

Milanovich seems frustrated with the on goings of the Toronto situation !

Kent Austin will be Coach of the Year :rockin:

No argument he's a great offensive coordinator. He proved that in Montreal. He's not a head coach. He got lucky in his first year with a team that should have had the best offense in the CFL, but instead struggled all year. The next year barely beat out Hamilton for first in the east when they should have won it easily then choked in the east final and this year he can't win if you spot him 20 points. His home record is horrible especially for a team with overall records he had the last two seasons.

Now that Jones and O'Shea have moved on the Argos are falling apart and what is the constant? Millanovich. If he was staying as offensive coordinator I would be OK with it, but that's a demotion and no coach is going to take that. If he doesn't leave on his own I hope he gets fired. best thing that could happen (or has/will happen)to the Argos this season.

There's a Coach of the Year Award ???????Gee, I always thought it was the Coach of the Grey Cup team award :roll:

Anyone want to make a prediction now, based only on the regular season, which is technically what the award is meant to measure?

I would have to think Chris Jones is the frontrunner, with Hufnagel having a great shot as well.

Arguments could also be made for Higgins and Austin based on the mid-season turnaround - but only if you disregard the terrible start. Austin's achievements in 2013 were far more impressive (significant turnaround from the previous year's last-place finish, first-ever Grey Cup appearance without a single league all-star, playing without a real home stadium, record number of players used as he covered injuries and tried to find the right mix), but Chamblin's Grey Cup win trumped all.

Often, best coach award usually goes to either the top team or most improved team in regular season. Why isn't this award given at the same time as the players awards? Crazy to give coach award long after grey cup game.

Absolutely no one in the east deserves this award. To give it to Higgins for a great turnaround is one of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen here. So he gets a pass on a 1-7 start (which was due in part to his stellar coaching) because he finished 8-2 in his last 10?

I was never a fan of the “most improved team” voting. Jones has done a great job in Edmonton, but look at the league as a whole. This season was horrendous. Pathetic offences, sloppy play, a ton of injuries, a sea of flags yet and overall the most inconsistent football that I can ever remember in a CFL season. One team was the exception and that was Calgary. Week in week out the most consistent team by a huge margin. The award should go to Hufnagel in a landslide, but likely it will be Jones.

I have to agree with DC on this one,no doubt about it Hufnagel in a landslide......regardless of if he wins the Cup or not.

I checked the criteria and shaking hands is not a factor. Get over it!

I get that. That's why I said "should". It probably never occurred to anyone that a professional coach would ever display such a lack of sportsmanship by refusing to participate in a well-established and universal custom. Kind of like there's no rule that says your team needs to be on-field for the national anthem, because it's unthinkable that anyone would ever do otherwise.

I take it you're supportive of Jones' stance?

I get that. That's why I said "should". It probably never occurred to anyone that a professional coach would ever display such a lack of sportsmanship by refusing to participate in a well-established and universal custom. Kind of like there's no rule that says your team needs to be on-field for the national anthem, because it's unthinkable that anyone would ever do otherwise.

I take it you're supportive of Jones' stance?
[/quote]
I have made my position on Jones clear in the Eskimo website, about the anthems and other things that go against what I and others call Eskimo tradition. Quite frankly, I could care less about the handshake thing, it is a nothing. I would be quite happy if he waits till after the Grey Cup victory to shake hands. As for whether he should be Coach of the Year, that is totally a performance thing. Stating that he should not get the award because he doesn't shake hands would be like saying Gordie Howe should not have gotten the MVP award in the NHL because he threw the odd elbow around. If you want to rename the Coach of the Year to the Miss Congeniality Award, I might agree with you.

Coach of the Year and shaking hands are mutually exclusive, period.

hypothetically speaking, what if the Esks advanced to the Grey Cup yet lost the game to say the Cats :wink: and Jones still refused to shake hands with the winning coach?

would this be fine with you?

What if Edmonton advances to the Grey Cup and wins. Would it still be poor sportsmanship if he refused to shake hands with the winning coach? :wink:

IMO, it is poor sportsmanship in either scenario.
If Austin did that, I'd tear a strip off him all over these forums....and I'm a Cats fan.