Practice update @WPG - Week9

With Breaux out, the Ticats had Mariel Cooper and John Green spending time at the boundary corner. Cooper started the season as the leading contender for SAM but got hurt and has played in just one game this season. He’s got good size at 5-foot-11, 192 pounds but doesn’t have much CFL experience. Green has also played in one game this season.
I think Frankie Williams would have been the backup except he also got hurt last game.

perhaps Courtney Stephen ?? At least he has experience even though it’s been a few years since he last played outside .

Just throw D.B. out there...nobody throws to his side of the field anyways :slight_smile:
How about Cooper to SAM and Unamba to corner?
Or Courtney Stephen to one corner spot and get some extra roster flexibility.

Put the new guy to the QB’s left, so he is throwing across his body, and then a pass rush from the same side to keep him moving and facing right?

With everything that Breaux has had to endure in his life with his spine, let’s hope that it is just a minor tweak or something. More so for his own health rather than just us missing him.

And Paul’s best buddy and line mate Gerry Kramer was finally recognized for his excellence in this year’s induction.

I hope that they get Chris Williams more involved. He is great on screens, short crossing routes, and fly patterns as well as kick returns. Haven’t seen him used much to his strengths so far.

Shortill has joined Vaughn in being put on the 6-Game Injured List. F. Williams and McGough are on the 1-Game. Added to the 46 man roster for @ WPG are DBs Cooper, Green and Parisotto, along with draft pick DL Brett Wade, who'll make his pro debut. My guess, based on the 3 DBs added, is that Breaux will be one of the 2 INT reserves.

I agree that Breaux if not 100% by game time is one of the reserves . As for the other reserve ? I’m thinking that it might be Tracy . In 3DN 's initial practice report it was stated that Tracy as well as the others mentioned in your post were injured and not at practice . Julian Howsare was mentioned as the one getting the start if Tracy is a no go for this game .

"if Tracy can’t go , look for Julian Howsare to get the start at end ( 12 tackles and 1 sack in six games this season. )

Depth chart is out, but Grover seems to be dragging his feet posting it here. ;D
[EDIT: And of course, he posts it just as I was typing mine.]

Breaux is a game-time decision. Fingers crossed that he'll good to go, but neck injuries aren't to be ignored, especially with his history.

Interesting to see Thomas Erlington on kick returns. Was he doing that least week too? But both Williams and Banks are listed on punt returns. Will they put them both back there? Not sure I would against the Bombers, known for their trick plays. I suspect one of them will also be back with STE on kickoffs, probably Williams.

https://i2.wp.com/3downnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Hamilton-depth-vs-Winnipeg-1.jpg

A couple of years ago that would have been a dream scenario for the Cats and a nightmare for opposing ST coaches having both Williams and Banks returning punts. In recent times Banks has not been very effective and has been neutralized and not sure if Williams still has the same afterburners.

Punt and kick returns are a function of a great returner, well-crafted blocking schemes, and proper execution. When everything happens in happy synchronicity, touchdowns ensue. When one facet doesn’t work, returns end early.
I remember both Earl Winfield (Praise Be His Name) and Tony Champion returning punts and kicks together. THAT was a nightmare to opposing teams.

Of course, just seeing Henry “Gizmo” Williams on the field struck fear into EVERY opposing team…

Some games, I'd just be happy to not see a flag for holding or an illegal block.

But yes, up until last year, it didn't seem to matter who was back there, there was always a possibility of big returns. I seem to remember one year with four, or was it five, different returners all with touchdowns. That points at blocking schemes.