Power Rankings: The great divide

TORONTO — Spoiler alert: the very top of these rankings remain unchanged from last week.

When the Winnipeg Blue Bombers sealed their win over the Calgary Stampeders with Demario Houston’s end zone interception, the reigning champs solidified their spot at the top of these rankings once again. Calgary is in this group’s minds at least, the next best team in the league at the moment and BC, thanks to its second bye week of the season, holds onto that third spot.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/18/power-rankings-the-great-divide/

Last week I predicted the bottom half of the rankings was still sorting itself out, & that proves to still be the case. Another week of that & then we should see some stabilization happening.

1 Like

Pretty decent rankings this week. Refreshing to see

1 Like

Agreed. The Mighty Blue Bombers aren't 'lucky', they are just mighty. I guess it was Blue Luck that the Stamps couldn't score a touchdown on first and goal, with three pass plays, eh? I guess it was just lucky that Ka'Deem Carey thought it was a good idea to wave his arms in the heavy, heavy IG Field air to spur on the crowd noise as Mitchell took his shotgun position on third and goal, eh? I guess it was Blue Luck that the two Stampeder receivers ran to the same spot and collided with each other spurring a turnover on downs, eh? Yeah, just dumb luck...NOT. Go Invinci-Blue!

3 Likes

Mighty LUCKY you say, Right? Lucky that KJ hit the ground with the ball in his arms and the force sent the ball up for the Bomber to catch it. Yes the Bomber was quick enough to react but otherwise the game would have been tied. And the story might have been different. Too many of the Bombers games were decided with a lot of luck. And yes that is part of the game but will it last?
On another note: The Elks switching places with the Als and the Ticats switching places with Ottawa isn't correct.
Elks , Montreal, Ticats, Ottawa. The other (5 top) teams are ok as posted. Bascially the winning team leads their opponents (this past week) only as the two bottom teams (Ottawa & Hamilton) remain at the bottom of the pack. Both those games were too close to say the winner was powerful.

1 Like

Awh yes , 2 times almost , first downs. two thirds time of possession, much better QB play etc. etc. the only luck was that the Stamps were not blown out.

4 Likes

I am so sick of seeing the word luck associated with Bomber wins. the only one I
may concede as being lucky was the Argo win on the missed convert .. but still the Bombers forced the Argos into a position where they needed a converted touchdown which of course was simply to force overtime not even win the game on the kick.

4 Likes

I get what you are saying. And I ask this in reply. Is it luck that the Bombers fumbled on the 20 to give Calgary a short field with which they scored their only touchdown? Is it luck that we again turned over the ball late in the half to give Calgary a field goal? Calgary’s D was great and the offence was ok. The Bombers were just better almost all-around. Not by leaps and bounds but they were constantly better. The good news is both teams still haven’t hit their ceilings yet so future games should be that much more exciting.

5 Likes

The Bombers possessed the ball over 37 minutes and had 26 first downs to Calgary’s 14. What luck!

5 Likes

No arguing with that. Yeah, the rankings look pretty fair this week. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Who is this ghost KJ you speak of? Could it be the same KJ who went 1 for 7, 15 yards and 4 YAC? I think the Stamps would need to have horseshoes in uncomfortable places for this KJ ghost you speak of to catch the winning TD pass against the MIGHTY Blue Bombers, in their own home no less. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I support the :tophat: :arrow_forward: :five: :bangbang:

P.S. Great to see my hometown Boys at :hash: :four: :upside_down_face:

My concern for the Bombers is that they are going to start believing what they keep telling themselves that they are some kind of invincible force.

The schedule has been beneficial. They could easily be 3 - 3 or 2 - 4. Teams have moved the ball at will against the D. The run game is 8th but all you hear is we are #1 and predictions of the best start in Bomber history.

Good work on the schedule though to have the soft start and save the bye weeks to rest and heal as much as possible for the playoffs. Maybe it will work again.

My advice would be to try and go 1 - 0 this week and go from there. It may be a tougher challenge then they expect.

oh my word where to begin unpacking this garbage LOL. as a Bomber fan your concerns are appreciated no matter how ignorant they may be. the league generates the schedule the Bombers simply WIN the games they are scheduled to play. their so-called "soft schedule" features short weeks in week five and another one culminating in week nine. I don't see any other team with two short weeks scheduled in the space of five games. and I don't see where this term "invincible force" comes from the voices in your head I'm guessing. LOL. nobody is calling them an invincible force anybody with an ounce of common sense knows they can and will be beaten at some point this season. fact is they haven't played anywhere near their best ball while the core remains they are some changes as they start to gel and start getting some injured players back. they will get even better. let your petty jealousy suck on that LOL wow....sounds like somebody needs a hug.

5 Likes

Ok bro. Thanks for the concern. But I would be more concerned with your(?) team about which I could say the same. You needed a 24 point comeback and overtime to beat Hamilton? I am not saying the bombers are unbeatable. They are and there is way more football to play. However, they are unbeaten. They have knocked of B.C (in B.C) and Calgary in back to back weeks. They know the run game is poor. Maybe they will pull something like they did last year with Castillo to improve the run game. Maybe they won’t. See you in 2 weeks.

3 Likes

Why is it that stampeders fans everytime the bombers hand them an L they say it is luck. Like at this rate it isn’t, the bombers are just the class of the cfl currently, can they play better yes of course but the fact they can play better should be more worrying to everyone else. But since 2019 no team comes close to Winnipeg when they are healthy and it seems it will remain like that this year unless some crazy collapse happens.

3 Likes

Remember that Carlos likes to take shots at the Bombers from behind a hunting blind. He won’t even confirm who his team is despite being asked many times to do so, although we have a pretty good idea which team it is. A couple of weeks ago he had the Bombers ranked 7th. With bias like that I don’t take him seriously.

3 Likes

Imma guess his team is the one that just lost its unbeaten run this week.

3 Likes

Carlos with another clueless homerun!

1st, we know your only concerns with the Bombers is them continuing their winning ways.
The Bombers have had the toughest schedule so far. Condensed games and just coming off handing the 1st losses to the 2 suppossed best teams. As far as your D concerns, WPG gives up the least amount of points. They shut teams down in the redzone, and thats all that matters.
The 1-0 each week advice is what they have done for the past couple seasons, and will continue to do.

5 Likes

Here's the crazy part... if we get past Calgary this week then we'll easily get to 10-0. When's the last time we did that?! :crazy_face:

2 Likes