Power Rankings Shakeup

Might The New King of The Mountain Be a Lion?

• Move Bombers down
  • Move Calgary down
  • Move Montreal down
  • Move Saskatchewan down
  • Move Toronto down
  • Move Ottawa up
  • Just Rank BC #1 and get it over with...

0 voters

1 Like

Said yesterday I'll give Winn#1 but we're coming for you, Maaax. Barring an awful showing in Ottawa next week I think July 09 could be the game of the year.

3 Likes

I hope you're right. I don't want to see us get blown out.

1 Like

I think we're done with the blowouts, I'd be happy to settle down to playing well enough to win regularly. We haven't made the play-offs since 2018, that's the minimum I hope they achieve. If we fly too high it makes coming back to earth harder to take. At least I get to wear this silly grin for another week.

1 Like

Good job Maaax. Exactly how I would rank them. There is logic behind every placing. I am therefore not voting because none of them apply. And also to protest world hunger.

Bombers may not be the best team at present but they have to be ranked #1. Two time defending champs, a 3-0 start and in first place 17 weeks in a row. Surely all of that must mean something. That may change in two weeks when the game of the year so far takes place at BC Place.

Calgary begrudgingly gets third, simply because they are 3-0. In spite of that record they barely beat two 0-3 teams and the combined record of their opponents is 1-8.

Montreal at 1-2 deserves to be ahead of Sask (2-1) because they just blew them out last week and Montreal should more likely be 2-1. We’ll see this week if their win last week was a fluke or just a bad game for Sask.

Toronto gets the nod over a probably better Ottawa team simply because they have one win (barely). They did manage, however, to look as bad as any team in any game last night in amassing only 3 points and having their spoiled brat QB throw another public tantrum when he should have been pulled from the game long before he was. Not good when your starting QB has lost all perspective. The Argos are heading for the #9 ranking with a lead weight attached.

The Ticats and Elks have to be ranked the lowest as the only 0-3 teams in the league. Based on the same logic as ranking the Bombers #1, the Elks must be #9 at least until they win a game. One of them will win this week in their head to head match up and I’m betting it will be Hamilton. This week may be Edmonton’s best chance to win for a while.

I nominate you to take over the weekly rankings for the CFL.ca website.

2 Likes

Let’s hope neither of our teams poop the bed this week, thereby taking some of the luster off a matchup of unbeaten teams.

2 Likes

I have a feeling the guys will be up for this one. Wouldn't it be great if Brandon Alexander and Winston Rose were back and our defense was at full strength by then?

Can our offense keep up with theirs? We're only scoring 21 points per game... the Lions are scoring more than 50 points per game.

1 Like

I doubt they will score 50 against the Bombers but certainly it will be the best challenge they have had this year. I think the word on Alexander is that he’s going to miss 6-8 games, but Rose could be back. I would rather they wait until he is completely healthy rather than watching him hobble around and getting beat in coverage. Nothing wrong with going to the DB machine for another game or two.

If O’Shea is listening, and to ensure the Bombers arrive in BC undefeated, I would strongly recommend that the Bombers once again employ the grate/coin toss strategy. That will mess with MacBeth’s head so much he won’t be able to perform.

1 Like

Good job. No arguing the first 3, unless someone really favours BC and how they have dismantled 2 defences now. I agree with Jon though, its WPG's spot until they give it up.
I might still put Sask ahead of Mont, but it is really close. Spots 6-9, all teams fighting for respect. Battle of the basement in Ham vs Edm next week.

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see how they do vs Ott.
Also looking forward to the game on the 9th, but I do not like the fact it would be a very short week for the Bombers, and a long week for BC. Bombers might get 1 practice in.

2 Likes

Just don't bet against the Lions. Ever. Your aggregate will suffer greatly and we will be forced to mock you like never before.

Only I shall bet against the Lions in week 5 and endure the subsequent trollings of 'Bomber Haters' (there's probably a couple out there). Save yourself. Someone has to survive to warn the others.

I don't know why you would even bother with power rankings if you're just going to go by wins and losses. That's what ... wins and losses are for. :smiley:

1 Like

But you must admit they're a great discussion (meaning arguing) point. We can't argue about the standings ,can we?

2 Likes

Wins and losses are for sissies. Let's let the masses decide this one.

Don't forget to vote and vote often. CFL democracy depends on YOU to make your choice known. Now get out there and hit that ballot button. :partying_face: :boom: :anger:

(For better results leave money in a plain brown bag behind the CFL dumpster around noon tommorrow. Thanks!)

1 Like

I think if we rolled up our sleaves and really put our minds to it we could argue about anything. :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

In Woody Allen’s Radio Days the narrator said his parents fought over everything.
Then you hear his dad say to his mom, “Wait, you think the Atlantic is a greater ocean than the Pacific?”

I still have Winnipeg as #1. To quote Rick Flair, “To be the man, you have to beat the man….”

1 Like

my wife is the best there has ever been. end of story.

and there isnt one of you who could ever have covered me man to man, Maybe man to boy but.....

1 Like

My own unofficial power rankings, keeping in mind that there is a substantial gap between the top 3 teams and everyone else:

1. BC. It's not their record, so much as how they are dominating in all three phases.
  2. Calgary. They always find ways to win.
  3. Winnipeg. Customarily great, but not as dominant as we've seen in the past. Perhaps this is the year that complacency sets in.
  4. Montreal. With different outcomes on a few plays, they could be 3-0, not 1-2. If the ground game can overcome Stanback's loss, watch out.
  5. Saskatchewan. A good team, but I don't think their defense is strong enough to make up for inconsistency at QB. Having said that, you could flip MTL and SSK in these rankings easily enough.
  6. Hamilton. Better than an 0-3 record indicates. I think they break out this week with their first win.
  7. Ottawa. They probably won't win this week, because they're facing B.C. However, there is a lot to like in how they play this year. They just need to learn to finish.
  8. Edmonton. Yes, they're still winless, but they took a tough Calgary team to the limit last week. Chris Jones will eventually figure it out, because he always does.
  9. Toronto. Yes, I am rating the first place Eastern team last in the league. I don't consider anything this team does in any phase to be better than average, and MBT is what he is. Their only win came against a Montreal that self-destructed with penalties and unforced errors, and they've got Winnipeg coming to town this week.

Curious as a homer for your Montreal Alouettes, "With different outcomes on a few plays, they could be 3-0, not 1-2. If the ground game can overcome Stanback's loss, watch out."

Could that not be said for Ottawa, Calgary, Winnipeg & Hamilton....all could be much different RE: a few plays and injuries? Each one could be better or worse.

1 Like