Power Rankings: Living in a blue and gold world

TORONTO — At a certain point, it just feels like nitpicking.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are winning at an unprecedented clip and now sit at 7-0 on the season. They’re chasing a 62-year-0ld record for the team’s best-ever start (10-0). More important, they have their eyes on the bigger picture at all times, which of course is winning another Grey Cup. That third Cup would make them the first three-peat team since Edmonton’s dynasty days, when they rattled off five in a row from 1978-1982.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/25/power-rankings-living-in-a-blue-and-gold-world/
1 Like

Not in agreeance with these power rankings, they should depict a team’s weekly improvement. Bombers have not shown progress since week 1 onward.

2 Likes

I had to chuckle on the Thirdandinch's comment, not so much about disagreeing with this weeks rankings but the comment on the Blue Bombers not showing any progress right from week 1. So, what you are actually saying is that the Blue Bombers are so horrible, week in and week out that they probably deserve to be somewhere near the bottom of the rankings. Hmmmm, and this for a 7-0 team. Gee, that doesn't say much for the rest of the teams, does it. lol
And yes, as a true blue fan, do realize that the Blue Bombers haven't been clicking on all cylinders and although I'm sure they will have a few loses by seasons end, also realize great teams find a way to win. These points, even when a team isn't playing at their best all count the same in the standings:)

6 Likes

Tongue firmly planted in cheek. Just encapsulating the general malaise being forwarded by all the haters.

These power rankings are once again pretty accurate, but then they are getting easier every week. They can only be quibbled with, in my opinion. For example, I would have BC at 2 and Calgary at 3, considering that Calgary hasn’t played anyone of note except the Bombers and were dominated by them, the game only being close due to the Bombers attempting to hand them the game by giving them 10 points. It is easy to say that the Bombers shouldn’t be #1 but if not, who should be and why?

The Bombers are two time defending champs, haven’t lost a meaningful game since week #3 last year and have been in first place 21 weeks in a row. I’m not sure what they might have to do in your judgement to be #1 in the power rankings.

3 Likes

You know that didn’t happen. The refs didn’t stop the game, run over to O’Shea and between them agree to add 10 points to the stamps score.

Collaros: 7-16 completions!
Dickenson - 19-2 coming off the bye!
Location - McMahon
Result - Stamps ranked #1 next week, Bombers dropping to #2 after suffering a 10 point loss (giving the Stamps a +3 point differential).

Your right. We turned the ball over twice in prime scoring position. Akin to handing you point. We beat you in time of possession pretty well and ended up on the right side of the score board. Let’s see how a rested Calgary team does. This game should be a better litmus test for both teams.

If Calgary does win by double digits I honestly think it will be from a late touch down. Pick apart the our offence it’s been very hit and miss. But the defence is solid. I will keep us in the game even if the offence struggles.

But it’s not. Is it.

They had to go get them. Against a very excellent D.

This notion that these points were given shows a lack of respect to what occurred. That’s all…

No one says that happened. Turnovers give points to the other team all the time and that is what I was referring to.

Otherwise the Bombers thoroughly dominated. Possession over 37 minutes and 26-14 in first downs. I believe Bo only completed 4 second half passes, on pace for the 7 Zach completed last game.

Are you saying that Calgary should be ranked ahead of the Bombers?

1 Like

Fair enough. I should say turned over the ball in prime scoring position and then again to set up a field goal try at the end of the half.
But looking at how the offence performed as a whole and after that, aside from 2(?) drives to the red zone it never really came close to scoring a major. (Terrible play calling on the 3 and out).

But this is coming from a guy who also would say the Bombers were opportunistic against Edmonton who also handed us a quick touchdown while the offence overall stunk till the 4th quarter.

So fair point. Looking forward to the game this Saturday. (I would be very surprised if it does turn into a beat down for either team.)

1 Like

Never said or notioned that at all. Bombers have full rights at #1. Deservedly. I respect that team.

[quote="Hometown_Fan, post:8, topic:79612"]
...f possession pretty well and ended up on the right side of the score board. Let’s see how a rested Calgary team does. This game should be a better litmus test for both teams.If Calgary does win by double digits I honestly think it will be from a late touch down. Pick apart the our offence it

[quote="Touchdown-horse, post:7, topic:79612"]

Collaros: 7-16 completions!
Dickenson - 19-2 coming off the bye!
Location - McMahon
Result - Stamps ranked #1 next week, Bombers dropping to #2 after suffering a 10 point loss (giving the Stamps a +3 point differential).

obviously there is a very real chance this is the week the Bombers suffer their first loss. although I felt that way heading into the BC game. and we saw how that turned out. besides who cares who is ranked #1 after week eight. LOL. to me the more impactful game will be the Stamps visit to Winnipeg in week twelve. the Bombers coming off their first bye of the season the Stamps having to deal with the short week a win clinching the season series for the Bombers. no matter what happens on Saturday.

The power Ranking this week seem about right. Yes the Bombers deserve #1 by getting the "W" from both the Lions and Stamps. The rest of the pack although IMO is correct is really ill relevant because the playoffs only allow the 3 top teams to playoff. OK the 4th may get a cross-over but again IMO that is meaningless since its inception no team making the cross over has ever made it to the Grey Cup. It is just too hard to stay on the road for the entire playoff period in hostile territory and with very limited fan support the whole time.

There's a very real chance they will loose every week......but they haven't. I don't think a Stampeders win this week would knock them off the top of the list either.

2 Likes

You're right Squishy, a Stampeders win might not put them at the top of the list BUT the corks would sure be a poppin' in Stampeder Land. :smiley:

Absolutely. Losing their second game out of 20 some odd games would still be virtually unparalleled and no reason for them to lose the #1 ranking. That would more appropriately be called wishful thinking on behalf of those who aren’t fans of the Bombers. I get that sentiment but objectively it would make no sense. Every team in the league would still know that the road to the Grey Cup runs through Winnipeg and that they are the team to beat.

They will of course lose a game or two or three or four eventually, but it will take more than that to remove them from the #1 perch they have earned. Maybe if Calgary wins the season series against them they could logically be ranked #1, depending on what happens for both teams prior to that third game. I know the rankings are just for funsies, but if any team winning one game against an injured Bomber team in the middle of the regular season playing their 8th game in a row while Calgary is coming off a bye is enough to knock them from #1, well I would say that those holding that view just aren’t being realistic.

1 Like

Not sure Montreal winning against the last place team in the CFL warrants a double place bump. Maybe overtake Hamilton, but that may be it.

That would be a big part of it. Calgary having had two of three bye weeks already and Bombers yet to have one.

I would look to the next game in week 12 as the week Calgary could snag top spot in the power rankings.

3 Likes

This could be the Dumbest post ever.

3 Likes