Power Rankings: Kicking things off for Week 1

TORONTO — After a full training camp with all of its pre-season games, we’re gearing up to roll into a new CFL season in early June. After two very difficult years of a pandemic, it feels great to be back on the usual schedule, with a feeling of normalcy back around a game that’s been disrupted for too long.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/06/power-rankings-kicking-things-off-for-week-1/

Not unexpected. Pretty close to the way they ended last year. I'd have a couple of differences but can't really argue with the way they are.

1 Like

Similar thoughts, other than the Argos at 3 is maybe a little high. They have some solid players but their QB situation leaves me with considerable doubt.

I might have ranked Sask ahead of Hamilton but it’s close and we won’t have to wait long to find out which one should be ranked higher.

I’m not sure of the reasoning happening on Ottawa, where it is stated that a good start is more important than ever in the East, while ignoring the fact that Ottawa opens back to back against the Bombers.

2 Likes

I actually love this stuff. Don't mean nothin' at the moment but can be a lot of fun for chin waggin'. I disagree with some and am okay with others. Let's see what happens over the next three weeks for starters. Then let's see the next three weeks.

1 Like

Me neither. But you can always count on two or three teams moving up in the standings as they improve. Others will fall.

Speaking of falling... Ottawa's very generous ranking at #6 gives them ample room to fall and I think everyone's expecting them to do just that against Winnipeg. If Ottawa puts up a good fight they would deservedly stay at #6. If they get totally creamed then I think Edmonton, BC and Montreal would only need middling results to push Ottawa down beneath them.

1 Like

[quote="Jon, post:3, topic:78311"]
...ayers but their QB situation leaves me with considerable doubt.I might have ranked Sask ahead of Hamilton but it’s close and we won’t have to wait long to find out which one should be ranked higher.I’m not sure of the reasoning happening on Ottawa, where it is stated that a good start is more important than ever in the East, while ignoring the fact that Ottawa opens back to back against the Bombers.

Here is what I posted earlier regarding Ottawa.

[/quoteOttawa is better this year & tends to catch teams early. Won their 1st game in 2021 in a 3 win season. won their 1st game, tied their 2nd in 2019 in a 3 win season. Also won 2 of 1st 3 in 2018, tied 1st game in 2017. Won 1st 2 in 2016 & in 2015. So, whatever their record, whatever the reason, their last 6 years the REDBLACKS are undefeated in season openers. Wouldn't pay to treat them lightly. :sunglasses:

I DO think the Bombers should beat the REDBLACKS but they do tend to win early, regardless how good they are.:full_moon_with_face:

Jeremiah Masoli is the big difference for Ottawa here. Ottawa might normally start out fast but Masoli starts out slow... slower than Zack Collaros if you can believe it. Zack took three games last season to finally shake the rust off and we got ambushed by Toronto as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if both QB's are rusty but only ONE will be able to fall back behind a top tier offensive line AND get bailed out by a shutdown defense.

1 Like

How stupid these power ranking things are, I won't even read it.

At least this particular ranking is just speculation… let the real season and the rankings start very soon.

One Weekly Power Rankings chart by itself doesn't hold much meaning but string a few of them together and they'll point to trends upwards and downwards in this 9 team league of ours over the course of a given season and sometimes that'll spark some interesting commentary.

It's probably just me but I look forward to reading this stuff every week. :grin:

2 Likes

Stupid is O.K. this early. Just happy to have a normal season! Not sure how the Als are ranked behind a team that just had a horrible year. Still, Masoli is a great add for Ottawa. Look forward to seeing what he can do.

1 Like

Someone on 3DownNation was listening...

2 Likes

Yup, I tend to agree with the CFL picks 19 & 21 Saskatchewan was tough, had they played in the East then they likely been in two GC games. Still Hamilton is a solid third...at least for now.
Only two more sleeps

1 Like

You can sleep? :laughing:

1 Like

Wow...with all the changes Edmonton has made and still ranked last!? Just for fun, I am going to bet on the Elks doing better then expected and the Stamps to slide...but just a little.
PS: Duron Carter does not last a full season. I don't know why but you just KNOW!!!

1 Like

You may be right. But it's always best to check the 'Expiration Date' (not the 'Best Before Date') on an athlete before you make these predictions. We've made the mistake of thinking DB's would fall apart on or after their 'Best Before Date' only to find that they were still perfectly good since they'd been properly refrigerated during the offseason here in Winnipeg.

Our winters suck.

1 Like