Power Rankings: Gauging an eventful Week 15

every time someone mentions Rourke injured i want to cry. i’ve watched a lot of CFL over the years, and he was on the way to a very special season for the ages, for any QB, not only just canadian.

2 Likes

It’s also not outside the realm of possibility that 1st place could still be on the line & Winn might not be able to rest their starters for fear of losing the incredible advantage of the bye. If VA ignites his team…?

That is true but the computer says that the realm of possibility that BC finishes first is 5.05%. A lot therefore has to happen, but better odds than the lottery I suppose.

1 Like

About the same odds of my winning the GCC pool (actually I should be so lucky). But I would really like to see those games mean something. First place on the line, woo-hoo!

2 Likes

i’m pissed i didn’t get in on the pool. i guess next year for this girl :football:

1 Like

Funny, Jon, that you’re very selective in what you absolutely agree with on the computer but dispute that same computer vigorously when it comes to a perceived slight on your team. The Bombers are 9-0 in the 1st half & 3-2 in the 2nd so far. So of course they’ll be playing meaningless games by the time they hit BC. I think, with a rest day in week 20, it is VERY unlikely O’Shea is resting a lot of starters in week 21 should they not have to play again until the final in week 23, especially if BC is likely to be that opponent. Not play a meaningful game for 3 weeks, maybe MORE. They’re not that good.

Six of their wins have been one possession games, as was 1 loss, & the computers will tell you that teams generally will win half of those. They’re not exactly beating up on teams. In fact, that 9-0 team had a total of ONE yd more net offence than they gave up (Thank you John Hodge for that stat) so apparently teams were running up & down the field on the Bombers as much as the other way around. I haven’t bet against the Bombers much on my picks this year but I did last week as I did with the 3 win Elks. There were reasons for that in both cases. :sunglasses:

You are unfortunately too late to have any chance in the GCC pool.

There is a weekly NFL Pool (4-6 selected games a week) now in Week 3 that you could join if you wish. The leaders have 6 wins so you would be that far behind although there is plenty of time left to catch up.

1 Like

I won’t discuss with you any more on this topic other than to say your analysis of how the Bombers have won could be applied to most other teams, especially the Stamps, who look even worse under a similar analysis. No stats can account for the fact that the Bombers tend to win in many different ways, including games in which it would appear that they have no business doing so.

1 Like

what is this NFL you people keep referring to? :wink:

i kinda suck at pools. and i hate swimming anyways.

You can go to the NFL 22-23 Regular Season Pool Week 1 thread for the rules and rundown. If you are interested you can then post your picks on NFL Pool Week 3 picks. Both threads aren’t that far down if you want to scroll or you can just use the search function. If you’re not interested no problem.

1 Like

Yeah but I bet you look great in a bikini . :grinning: :bikini: :eyes: :grinning:

whyyyyyyyyy do men do this?

1 Like

thanks. i love friendly competition but i just don’t follow 4-down ball enough.

1 Like

[quote="Jon, post:29, topic:81028"]
...I won’t discuss with you any more on this topic other than to say your analysis of how the Bombers have won could be applied to most other teams, especially the Stamps, who look even worse under a similar analysis. No stats can account for the fact that the Bombers tend to win in many different ways, including games in which it would appear that they have no business doing so.

Of course you could apply it against other teams & I do. Other teams win & lose in many different ways. When sports betting experts bet on teams they certainly don't pick the one with the best record all the time - surprise. I didn't blindly bet against your team. In fact, I bet on them more often than not but had picked them to split the double with the Als & saw good currency in betting against them this time. Can't argue with results.

You can't ask the teams to give up home advantage because you don't like the way the playoffs are set up. To say they don't get there on merit is absurd. They're playing within the rules. Let's not forget that the Bombers played in the East for quite a few years & benefitted from playing there. :sunglasses:

It doesn’t matter to me who you did or did not bet on. If you won some cash great.

Yes they are playing within the rules but the rules are absurd. I’m not blaming the teams themselves. I’m still not sure you understand the point about the geographic bias. It is explained very well and often in other threads by others.

And you can ask any Bomber fan about how happy they were about the Bombers playing in the East. When that occurred at least the numbers bias was removed as each division had four teams. Where the Bombers play has nothing to do with my opinion that the teams should be seeded on merit, 1-6 with 1 and 2 getting the bye into the play in game.

If the standings hold as they are this year then #4 Toronto gets the huge advantage of hosting the play in game while #2 and #3 BC and Calgary must slug it out while Toronto rests. That is something they have been awarded only because they are East of Manitoba and not because they earned it. Hopefully you now understand my point.

One division would not only award playoff seeding based on merit rather than geography, but would include a much more balanced schedule. I don’t know about you, but my heart has just stopped fluttering because of the excitement of watching Toronto and Hamilton square off 4 times in 5 weeks. I would much rather see that than Winnipeg play Toronto more than once. Not!

this x 100.

this is exactly why i’ve always wanted proper league playoff seeding as opposed to divisional. it’s utterly absurd that the west 2 and 3 seeds have to play each other while argos sit and wait for whoever wins the east semi.

1 Like

I am astounded at Calgary being rated ahead of BC. Given the logic for this ranking, can we assume that if the Lions defeat Calgary this weekend that Calgary will slip past Winnipeg into first in the Rankings?

2 Likes

Um, “Heading home to try to win the season series with the Stamps this week”. Did you mean “sweep?” The season series is already won.

1 Like

Why ? There is no facet of the game that the Lions don’t have it over the stamps … NONE.

Power Rankings have been complete crap ever since I started looking at them
Look at the start of the Season rankings … BC in 8th and Cal in 5th ? ? and #2, 3, 4 Even based on last season they don’t make sense at all ! :
|1|Winn|
|2|Ham|
|3|TO|
|4|Sask|
|5|Cal|
|6|Ott|
|7|Mont|
|8|BC|
|9|Edm|