Power Rankings: Gauging an eventful Week 15

TORONTO —  The buzz created in Hamilton on Saturday with the Tiger-Cats’ win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers was fascinating on a couple of levels.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/09/19/power-rankings-gauging-an-eventful-week-15/

How is BC not ahead of Calgary? They've got the better record, they've won both the games played, and Calgary's not beaten anybody over .500. Seems they belong in second spot, if you ask me... and the standings.

6 Likes

What does BC have to do to get recognized? This is hogwash!

5 Likes

Have to agree. Beat Stamps twice, though by 1 pt & in OT but still, record much better. Riders rated too high. Their position is deceptive. Als are 2 pts less but have 6 games to play. Riders have 4 games left - @ Winnipeg, @ Hamilton & double with Calgary. Outside of Elks & BC right after Rourke was knocked out, haven't beaten anyone in West, lost more games to East than any West team. TiCats have 4 wins, only need to tie Riders, 5 games left which includes Edm & 2 vs Ottawa. If Riders lose to Winnipeg, TiCat game is must win. Lose & they will have tied in wins with Riders (should they beat Als this week) or 1 game off with very beatable teams to play. Right now Riders have won 2 of their last 9 games. What are they doing above Als, winners of 3 of last 4, or Hamilton for that matter who just rolled over Winnipeg? Riders don't look like a team who can take more than 2 of their last 4. My betting is they win 1.

2 Likes

I don't get how Calgary stays ahead of BC. As mentioned in the first 2 comments, BC has the better record, has beaten the Stamps twice, all be it by the narrowest of margins, they have more wins with a game in hand.

5 Likes

I would have Mtl up one spot. The rest seems okay for me.

1 Like

Sask down one spot.

1 Like

I would rather play against the Lions over Stamps big time.

sorry but 3down nation has it right.

2 Likes

Yeah, I put a lot of stock in away wins against top teams, especially against one you are right there with in the rankings. I get it's only been one game for Adams, but that doesn't outweigh BC's overall record, head to head 2-0, and most recent outcome, the aforementioned win in Calgary. No way to logically justify that. Hopefully objective Bomber fan here.

2 Likes

BC is a solid second
The stamps are overrated the D is AWFUL and the backup Qb is not taking them anywhere

1 Like

i guess my earlier potty mouth post got deleted.

Well said. You certainly did your homework. I agree on every point except Calgary ranking over BC.

Power Ranking… I guess they threw us a bone and moved us back to third.

I can’t remember the last season BC won both games in Regina and in Calgary. Yes the Lions have the season series against both these teams locked up but they did loose that one game against the Riders (and Rourke) so… maybe that is why they have a better record than Calgary and are still ranked behind them. This next game is more important than ever. Thankfully VA gets more practice time.

Sounds like a crazy man talk’in but if the BC Lions can win out from here on they end up in 1st.

1 Like

Just looked at it & it mirrors exactly what I said. BC over Calgary, Als & TiCats over Riders. The Riders don't deserve their ranking here. They haven't played well for 9 games now. Thanks for pointing those rankings out. :smiley:

1 Like

That's a fact but they don't have to win out technically. Winnipeg could lose both of their games not with BC. Impossible? Both of their losses have come at the hands of 3 win clubs at the time. But first things first. The Lions have to take care of business with the Stamps @ home this week. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

yep. 3down have the rankings bang on this week. i always like their rankings better and i love the 3down podcast. way better than the waggle or whatever it is.

You are correct sir and let’s focus on this next game.

Lions have two more games to play than the Bombers but the BB have games against Riders and Elks… both teams could be a surprise upset in the waiting. Specially if Winnipeg puts in their 3rd strings.

There are those who like to talk about the Bombers & their nothing games. This is unlikely. Even if the Lions lose a couple they play them the last 2 games Are you going to sit your starters vs the Lions if you have 1st wrapped up & play the last 2 games vs them? Are you going to take a chance on giving the Lions hope going into the playoffs? Add in the fact the Bombers have a bye in week 20 so you then have your starters playing 1 game over 3 weeks before hosting the final. That is risky & makes very little sense to me. Winning this week vs Calgary would be very big so we'll see where it goes from there. Cheers. :sunglasses:

Based on last year as well as the number of injuries the Bombers currently have, should they be in a position to do so I would be shocked if they didn’t rest numerous starters. The simulator gives them a 94.95% chance of winning their division. BC must win this weekend to have any chance at first. Although it is possible it is not very realistic to expect BC to seriously challenge for first without Rourke. It is unfortunate that the two Bc/Bomber games likely won’t mean anything.

1 Like