Power Rankings: Embrace the turmoil

TORONTO — You get one league-altering, power-ranking shifting win in Week 3 and all CFL hell breaks loose a week later.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2023/07/04/power-rankings-embrace-the-turmoil

I can’t see much argument in the order this week.

2 Likes

Montreal’s like that sneaky Inch Worm we saw on the Muppets decades ago. They started dead last in the rankings and ‘inched up’ every week until they hit the #5 spot, where they decided to take a breather. I’ll bet they continue to inch up once they get over their impending beat-downs at the hands of the Lions and Argos over the next two weeks.

Four weeks from now those poor downtrodden Als will be pissed off and have several key players back from the IR… which means that the Stamps followed by the Tiger Cats will be up to their necks in Al-igators.

1 Like

Yes I agree, but it’s funny that the “experts” can pick the power rankings after the games but have trouble predicting the winners before the games.

1 Like

The Power Order looks about right. While the season is still early and much will happen before it ends, I have to wonder what in the “H” is going on in Hamilton?? I have been a Tiger Cat fan for 75 years and for some reason I feel very discouraged by their performance. No, I don’t expect them to win every game, but I do expect to see them being competitive in every game - which they have not been. I’ll continue to cheer for them, but they need o to understand that they need to win this game coming up, or they have a long uphill battle for the balance of this season.

2 Likes

What’s going on with the Cats? They gambled and lost when they jettisoned QB Dane Evans and signed oft-injured QB Bo Levi Mitchell to be his replacement WITHOUT making significant upgrades to their offensive line and receiving corps. Now they have zilch… I mean ‘Shiltz’.

1 Like

That’s because it’s 2023 & they have a tendency to predict games by standings last year at the start of the year. Same with the oddsmakers. Herd mentality. As the year goes on, it’ll change a bit but if you want to stay close to the pack, the easy thing to do early is vote the same.

I’ll riddle you this. If anyone ever was 81-0 or 0-81 in picking games, both of those would be similarly incredible feats. When you have to choose between 2 options on who the winner is, you are by default also picking the loser. So the 81-0 & 0-81 person have both been 100% correct. :smiley:

Minor point but VA was not starting at the start of last year because he was still in still in Montreal. Rourke would have beat him out of camp as you said. If Rourke had not been injured he would have likely been MOP and VA would not have been traded for because the Lions wear dressing a Canadian back up as well.

VA deserves another shot but needs to run the OC’s offence which was a huge part of Rourke’s success

Totally agree with every spot in the ranking, but man has 1-3 ever been so close as now?

I’d also call sask/mont a tie too

1 Like

Was just reading something on Instagram but I lost the post. However, it was something about Dane Evans getting traded over to Edmonton and Tre Ford going over to BC. Can Evans bring a win to Edmonton? (It isn’t a trade, it was just an discussion I read)

From last week, I don’t think in any matter Jarret Doege should’ve been starting. You’re on the road, little prep time and you’re 0-3 trying to claw your way to a win.

We were there not that long ago, with the QB shuffle, praying for anything.
My opinion is you have to commit to someone, can’t keep shuffling.

1 Like

There was mention of that lately on this forum as well. Again just discussion and speculation.

I’m swapping the Elks putting Hammy at the bottom. Calgary also moves down and Ottawa up a spot. The rest seems right but Sask at 4 is a long ways from the Bombers at 3. I’d skip 4, put Sask at 5a and the Al’s at 5b.

2 Likes

That’s when we opened our wallets and signed Matt Nichols who became our starter (when healthy) until sometime in 2019.

And we all know what good thing happened to us in 2019. :partying_face:

1 Like

Ok VA had his worst game as a Lion. That can happen to any player but at QB it is exaggerated a little more. I enjoyed last week with the Lions in top spot of the power rankings but knew it wouldn’t last. They will get it back at some week but I am glad to see it being taken by different teams this year so far… I expect it will change hands over the season a few more times and that is good for the league and the fans. Lions will be ready for a home game against Montreal this weekend and move on from that debacle in Toronto.

2 Likes

The savior in Ottawa was going to be Jennings, then Dominique Davis, Nichols, then Arbuckle. Now it’s Mazoli, hopefully that’s it for a few years

1 Like

So if both BC and WPG win this week, is there even a change at the top?
WPG could win the next 3 games and not move up if the other 2 win as well.
All that matters is the BC rematch in a month - a battle for 1st.

2 Likes

All that matters is points in the standing, not some power ranking chosen by some pundits on CFL.ca

1 Like

This is the first time in many years where five, count them 5 teams seemingly (2 east & 3 west) are challenging for the right to miss the semi finals.

1 Like

I feel Hamilton has been going the wrong way for a while now
I cant imagine them beating Toronto / Montreal and even Ottawa could make playoffs finally this year (their record has been very misleading last couple of seasons)