Power Rankings after weeks 6 & 7

So, who’s Winnipeg’s Arland Bruce III? He arrived in BC just before they turned their season around, and might have had something to do with that. Also, BC still had their starting quarterback.

Not writing them off, but unless something in their play changes drastically, they aren’t going to change the results much.

Bing… Wrong, Edmonton won that game on one fluke play and were soundly outplayed. BC is the better team. How’s that for orange coloured glasses?

1. BC
  2. Edmonton
  3. Calgary
  4. Montreal
  5. Hamilton
  6. Toronto
  7. Saskatchewan
  8. Winnipeg

I'll take a stab at it....

1. Lions
  2. Eskimos
  3. Alouettes
  4. Stampeders
  5. Tiger Cats
  6. Roughriders
  7. Argonauts
  8. Blue Bombers

Actually, if my math is correct, Edmonton beat B.C. by 13 points which would make your statement mathematically impossible. I would also state that Edmonton is one fluke play and one bad game away from being a perfect 6-0. For me the Eskimos take the number one spot based on that 13 point win.

How do you “soundly outplay” your opponent and lose by 13 points? I would also suggest that when you rush for fewer yards and you turn the ball over 3 times, you have “soundly outplayed” nobody.

sambo, you’re getting soft in your old age.

Hey Fuzzy just wondering how you put the lions ahead of the EE the Lions were beat in there own backyard by 13 points both teams have the same record not sure how anyone could rank the lions ahead of Edmonton

1. Edmonton
  2. BC
  3. Calgary
  4. Hamilton
  5. Saskatchewan
  6. Montreal
  7. Toronto
  8. Winnipeg

C’mon dude, you have to be a serious homer to think that NO ONE could/should rank the Lions ahead of the Esks. I understand how some (most?) would have the Esks on top due to the head-to-head win, but really, you’re not sure how ANYONE could rank the Lions ahead of Edmonton?

And you feel they’re that superior…why?!?

says someone who is a moderator here.

yeah, thats good to know that the mods can get away with ridiculous insults but us common folk cant.

The power rankings from my updated spreadsheet, which is now based on who beat who and by how much, and what the two teams' rankings were the previous week:
1 - Saskatchewan (0.600)
2 - BC (0.588)
3 - Calgary (0.528)
4 - Edmonton (0.511)
5 - Hamilton (0.508)
6 - Tor (0.454)
7 - Montreal (0.430)
8 - Winnipeg (0.373)

No big surprise that the west outshines the east. I would have placed Saskatchewan a lot lower, but they're still at the top because their losses have all been fairly close games. (My model doesn't take how teams lose into account, just the final scores.) They have been falling steadily the past few weeks; another loss and they'll lose the top spot. Other than that, pretty much what I would have said off the top of my head.

I included the teams' ranking values this week, as they provide perspective on relative positions: Saskatchewan and BC neck-and-neck at the front; Calgary, Edmonton and Hamilton bunched up behind them; Toronto and Montreal a bit further back; and Winnipeg trailing the field.

Please ignore my previous post. I used the wrong spreadsheet, and I was too late to edit it. D'oh!

The power rankings from my updated spreadsheet, which is now based on who beat who and by how much, and what the two teams' rankings were the previous week:
1 - BC (0.767)
2 - Saskatchewan (0.680)
3 - Hamilton (0.601)
4 - Calgary (0.599)
5 - Edmonton (0.564)
6 - Toronto (0.395)
7 - Montreal (0.315)
8 - Winnipeg (0.040)

No big surprise that the west outshines the east. I would have placed Saskatchewan a bit lower, but they're still near the top because their losses have all been fairly close games. (My model doesn't take how teams lose into account, just the final scores.) Hamilton and Calgary are effectively tied; I would have put Calgary ahead. Other than that, pretty much what I would have said off the top of my head.

I included the teams' ranking values this week, as they provide perspective on relative positions. Hamilton and Calgary tied, a large gap between Edmonton and Toronto / Montreal, and Winnipeg way back (they were actually in negative territory before their first win).

I hate to say it but whatever system or model you our using, it is questionable. Try putting all the team names into a hat and drawing them out, it is likely more credible. To have Saskatchewan in second place following three consecutive losses is cause alone to question your system. I do credit you with trying to apply science to your rankings, the science however seems to be a bit flawed.

1. Edmonton/BC - If there is ever a case for a tie, this is it. I put Edmonton slightly ahead but that is blatant homerism.
  2. BC/Edmonton - I put BC slightly behind simply because I can and Mitchell is still on the roster.
  3. Calgary - Jeckyl and Hyde, which team will show up next week.
  4. Hamilton - Hank is looking strong, Calgary exposed weekness in stopping the run.
  5. Saskatchewan - Could be higher with a couple of heart transplants.
  6. Toronto - Are they better without Boyd? I was impressed with Kackert last season.
  7. Montreal - How much does the old man have in the tank. Will he be able to stand up to the Eskimo's heat?
  8. Winnipeg - Better than their record, still last though.

Can’t argue with a man who admits his homerism :wink: and I can live with the second one. Heck I’ll promise to give Edmonton a 1 position bump if they release that cheap… 8)

Not quite as random as picking from a hat - Winnipeg doesn’t have much of a chance with my “model” of jumping to the top any time soon. Gut feel, however, would probably be a better method, I’ll give you that. Which is where my comments come from.

But when you consider that Saskatchewan’s three losses were by a total of 12 points, how bad are they really? Kind of like Winnipeg a couple years ago, where they lost all seven of their close games. Were they really that bad? I don’t think so, just unlucky. (Which is amazing, given their QB injury troubles that year.)

Anyway, I’m having fun with the spreadsheet. Maybe I’ll plug in last year’s results into it to see how it handles BC’s meteoric rise after their horrendous start as a test.

Calgary and Saskatchewan to me are a “pick em”. Cats are a Jeckyl and Hyde team as well.

T.O. we shall see how they fare without Boyd. So far, O has not been impressive.

I’m more interested in how the Esks fare when they face the Lions again… I bet its going to be a much different result… if the offence doesn’t get consistent, the Edm D will be worn out come playoff time… if they don’t fall out of a playoff spot… BC, on the other hand, is finding its game… so watch out… its why I put BC at #1 and not the Eskimos…

Hey RWO
If you don’t understand why look at option 1 if that’s not a good enough answer for you refer to option 2 . cheers. :thup:

Power ranking is about strength now, this week. If we want to chrystal ball into the future, I have always said, in the CFL you can’t make any real predictions until after NFL cuts. Things do and will change.

I thought that as well, the power rankings were about right this moment not the future or what everyone predicts to happen.