Power Ranking/Schedule Match

Interesting schedule this week as every game matches up to the CFL.ca Power Rankings. Each team plays the team directly ahead or below in the Power Rankings.

1 plays 2
3 plays 4
5 plays 6
8 plays 9

It definitely makes the picks on VGCC a bit more difficult, doesn't it?

I was gonna go with eenie meenie miney moe but thought I would go with the more scientific method of factoring the won/loss ratio, multiplying it by the points for and against continuem and then dividing the outcome by the capacitor flux diffential caused by unspecified cosmic forces. In the end however I threw all of the tried and true methods out the window and simplified the process by just picking the home teams.

The first year I did VGCC, I ran a separate entry off the books where I used a coin flip to determine the picks. I beat that set of picks by two games over the entire year. That's when I came up with "Coin Flip, Identical Outcome" for an alternate meaning for CFIO, the shortcut some people use when referring to me.

Actually, I now use my own power ranking spreadsheet, which gives a ranking to each team based on the scores from the previous week and the rankings of each team and their opponent, taking home field into account. Turns out to be a reasonable ranking after a few games, although I occasionally pick against it. Currently, my rankings are:

1. Edmonton (1.079)
  2. Calgary (0.977)
  3. Winnipeg (0.584)
  4. Ottawa (0.437)
  5. BC (0.422)
  6. Toronto (0.367)
  7. Hamilton (0.344)
  8. Saskatchewan (0.181)
  9. Montreal (0.158)
    Interesting that Ottawa in the lead in the east, eh? Kind of makes sense when you think about it. (And I love that Saskatchewan is at the bottom, don't you?)

Yea, you nailed it......................... :thup:

I think you might see a different Rider team this week after the bye week rest. Don't get too used to seeing them at the bottom yet.

The CFL.ca ranking are, as usual, out to lunch. Calgary and Edmonton are interchangeable as are BC and Winnipeg, but the bottom 5 make no sense.

5 Saskatchewan - best of the rest
6 Ottawa - performed better with less than the 3 below
7 Toronto - purely by default, that's how bad the last 2 are
8 Montreal - they won a game
9 Hamilton - they didn't

So this weeks schedule is 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 6 v 9 and 7 v 5. I never put any faith in the CFL.ca rankings as there is always 1 or 2 head scratching placings every week.

Guess the fact that the post was based on the CFL.ca rankings which are what they are and any rankings are purely subjective, it is still: 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 5 v 6 and 8 v 9.

[quote="cfleskfan
Guess the fact that the post was based on the CFL.ca rankings which are what they are and any rankings are purely subjective, it is still: 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 5 v 6 and 8 v 9.
[/quote]
Just my opinion of the CFL.ca's Power Rankings which rarely seem to match up entirely with reality, especially the farther into the season we get.

Personally I love the fact that my Cats are ranked at #9.IMO they should be ranked ahead of both Toronto and Montreal who have looked worse than the Cats have despite winning a game a piece,what people fail to realize is that with any luck they could be sitting at 2-1 as both the Eskimos and the Stampeders games were both winnable but for some late game breakdowns and some bad breaks.The Cats D held the Esks to only 14 points for the most part with their other 14 points in the game coming as a result of the Watkins strip,and breakdowns by the offence(int,fumble).In the Stamp game the D held them to only a measly 10 pts in their own stadium,when was the last time that a team accomplished that feat? The 1rst game of the season against the Riders was a wash(literally,played in a monsoon).Nope,call me a homer,call me what you will but at this early stage of the season,the Cats are in better shape than both the Al’s and Argo’s and with any luck should finally move into the win column this week against the REDBLACKS although it won’t be no easy task and with both Burris and Walker out to prove a point,it is looking like it’s going to be a very interesting and closely contested match up between the two teams who I believe will finish 1 and 2 in the East this season ahead of both the Argos and Al’s who I predict will not be around come play-off time with a certainty of a Western cross-over this season.