Postponed Elks-Argos game rescheduled to Nov. 16

TORONTO – The Edmonton Elks at Toronto Argonauts game, which was postponed from August 26 because of Covid-19 concerns, has been successfully rescheduled to Tuesday, November 16 at 7:30 p.m. ET, the Canadian Football League announced on Thursday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/09/02/postponed-elks-argos-game-rescheduled-nov-16/

Wow! What a complication all because one or more members of one team decide to break protocol and/or lie about their vaccination status.

3 Likes

A creative solution all around. Montreal and Winnipeg are minimally inconvenienced. Saskatchewan and Edmonton switch home dates. Toronto has 2 games in 5 days but has a bye in the final week. The Elks, the team that got us into this mess, play 42% of its road games in 7 days: Regina (November 13); Toronto (November 16); and Vancouver (November 19).

1 Like

It's the best situation that could come of it. Not thrilled with a Tuesday game but there was no other option this week.

Hopefully the Argos playoff position (if they make it of course) is locked in so the game is meaningless

Edmonton plays 3 games in 7 days.... it's either that or forfiet.

1 Like

I’m glad they got something worked out, but man that is a brutal way for Elks to end their season. Unless Harris and Ellingson work some magic before then, they will have a tough time making the playoffs or getting past a semi-final if they do.

1 Like

As a fan the idea sure does not thrill me, but like @Mightygoose noted, this is way better than a forfeit.

There is more than two months of notice too, so there is plenty of time to plan what can be planned for resting up certain players in October when possible and prudent.

Agree both teams will make heavy use of load management. If Argos have the final bye week then their playoff position may be set and they’ll rest as many as possible. Edmonton likely to follow suit and save some guys for the two western games, avoiding the cross country travel and game wear and tear for guys like Ellingson, Harris and a few others.

Well... they can rest those who are unvaccinated since they won't be able to fly and the drive from Edmonton to Toronto in November can be kind of sketchy...

At one point the Edmonton franchise was considered the flagship of the CFL with the way they ran the organization.

Now 16-17 months later, they could have been the reason the season faced a possibility of a cancellation.

Hopefully other teams in the CFL take precautions going forward.

1 Like

i don't understand how swapping the location of the rider-elks games but not changing the dates accommodates the rescheduled argos-elks game

Elk should forfeit Argos credited with 2 points for the win. ALSO Elk players lose pay for the game and Argos should not be forced to play 3 games in short order because of a few bonehead on another team

1 Like

With three games in seven days, a three game road trip is likely logistically easier and less costly. At the very least you'd be eliminating two flights by flying Edmonton-Regina-Toronto-Vancouver-Edmonton
(sorry for the edit... I misread the schedule)

1 Like

The game should be rescheduled and played and everybody should get paid and the Argos won't be playing 3 games in a short span. Oh wait, that's exactly what's happening. :slight_smile:

All good here.

1 Like

Derek Taylor said for the 11/16 Edmonton at Toronto and 11/19 Edmonton at BC games, both teams will be allowed 5 extra players on their roster. While that might give Edmonton more depth, that does not help the likelihood of a lack of preparation by Edmonton as they will likely have only 1-day walk-throughs to get ready for those 2 games.

Can't agree with the idea of a forfeit and giving Toronto two points for a non win. How is that fair to the other eastern teams? The only people I see calling for this option are fans of the other Western teams because it gives them an advantage. Congrats to the CFL for doing the right and fair thing.

2 Likes

[quote="Tigereye, post:16, topic:72907"]

Can't agree with the idea of a forfeit and giving Toronto two points for a non win. How is that fair to the other eastern teams? The only people I see calling for this option are fans of the other Western teams because it gives them an advantage. Congrats to the CFL for doing the right and fair thing.

[/quote]i called for the forfeit not because of EE is a rival team but because the rules were the rules and it seems more than one player on the EE team misrepresented covid shots.... one player was let go and the others were just "rumoured" Actions should have consequences ...as for the rumoured other players, if teams were not so secretive the league would be better off for the openness as the opposite always the norm.

Might not be fair to the Elks but this is their punishment and it's a lot better than a forfeit and losing 2 points

1 Like

quite possibly they could lose all three of those games.

...one can only hope.

Maybe not, they play in Sask 3 days before that, then travel to Toronto for the Nov 16 game and then 3 days later in BC.
Tough way to finish the season