Post your CFL cards here!

Post your CFL cards and other memorabilia here! I'll start.

The 1954 Blue Ribbon CFL cards are the rarest of the CFL issues that can properly be called cards. Here are scans of a few of mine:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/General%20Album%203/08-07-201382418PM_zps37bba610.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/General%20Album%203/14-07-201344933PM_zpsc0da0fb6.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/General%20Album%203/14-07-201344940PM_zps0816b31b.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/General%20Album%203/14-07-201344958PM_zpsb3e22bc5.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/General%20Album%203/Blue%20Ribbon0001_zpssrvkweke.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Balticprince/General%20Album%203/Blue%20Ribbon20002_zpsrjcqq27a.jpg

The cards were included in with large Blue Ribbon chocolate bars retailing for a dime or more back in 1954. As a result, there were relatively few issued and trying to find the cards today in nice condition is extremely difficult. I've been pecking away at trying to complete the eighty card set for about 25 years. I have 54 of them.

Well, for starters, the 1956 Shredded Wheat and 1956 Parkhurst sets are almost impossible to complete nowadays which make them a lot more rarer than the Blue Ribbon cards. You'll complete the set if you really want to try. You"re off to a good start with the Bob Simpson card (and a really nice one, at that) as it's the toughest card in that set to acquire for some strange reason. Good luck!!!

Yes, the 1956 Parkhurst set is probably the most difficult of them all to complete. Whether they can properly be called "cards" though is another question since they were actually photographs. I know a fellow in Winnipeg though who around the turn of the century somehow managed to acquire a complete undeveloped set, which developed just beautifully when he applied the cloth enclosed in the packs to the undeveloped photos!

Card for card I'd say the 1954 Blue Ribbons are tougher to find than the 1956 Shredded Wheat cards, but the Shredded Wheat set is more difficult to complete simply because at 105 cards it's larger.

I think the reason is "strange" alright. I think it's actually because the first time someone tried compiling the Blue Ribbon cards (Dr. James Beckett circa 1980?), he surveyed no more than a handful (or fewer) of collectors. Well we all know that we perceive the last few cards that we still need as the most difficult to obtain, and Bob Simpson was probably that last card for the collector(s) Beckett surveyed at the time. But that was just pure chance. Somebody had to be that last card. But subsequent price guides always tend to repeat earlier (mis)information and that comes to be accepted as fact. In other words, I doubt that Bob Simpson is particularly scarce.

I also don't believe that Ed Learn is any more difficult to find than any of the other Alouette high numbers from the 1963 Humpty Dumpty CFL coins. Ed Learn was probably the last coin that some certain (likely Western Canadian) collector needed to complete his set when he was surveyed by Dr. Beckett when that first guide was being written. And I believe that collector was almost certainly from Western Canada because Dr. Beckett called this issue 1963 Nalleys CFL coins even though the most common variant of these coins found on a cross-Canada basis are ones carrying the Humpty Dumpty name brand.

:slight_smile:

That's exactly how I got my set. It wasn't exactly a "cloth" that was used for developing the set. For each individual card you had to use a single small piece of developing "paper", dip it in water, then rub it over the front of the card. My set came out nice as well with some cards developing better than others.

...can I ask why this 'developing' technique was used? rather than the cards showing up already finished...was it solely a gimmick or is there a technical reason this was done?

It was solely a gimmick that didn't turn out very well. It was the end of the line for Parkhurst CFL cards after that although the company still produced hockey cards into the '60's.

...thanks for that insight...maybe Rube Goldberg was on their production staff...

Could I ask where/how you got your set?

???

I bought it from Stadan Collectibles (a dealer in Edmonton) on Ebay a couple of years ago.

Here are a couple of favourites from my collection, including the chocolate bar wrapper for the Blue Ribbon cards:

1952 Crown Brand - Jack Jacobs.jpg

1956 Parkhurst - Bud Grant.jpg

1952 Parkhurst - Sam Etcheverry.jpg

1954 Blue Ribbon - Wrapper.jpg

Truth.
No card in the '54 set comes close to the Bob Simpson in rarity. In fact, the rest are practically like shooting fish in a barrel in comparison.

Various..."stuff'.

Looking for these cards.

Calvin Jones 1956 Parkhurst #33

Last card to complete the set.

1962 Post CFL #131 Tom Brown SP White-back

1962 Post CFL #132 Tommy Hinton SP White-back

1 Like

Thanks for your confirmation re: the Bob Simpson card. Always nice seeing your cards hoth.You"re damn right about that Calvin Jones card, almost near impossible to acquire, but as a fellow collector I really hope that one comes your way in the near future.As for the rarest card of the 60's, well that title would go to an unmarked checklist from the 1968 O-Pee-Chee set. A beautiful one just sold on Ebay a little while back for over $800 U.S. I believe.

Now that's funny - in an endless contraption kind of way!

hey Lyle, I posted the pic of the Mike O' Shea auto just for you.
His best card. I've never seen another one.

Thanks Chris,
Where did u post it?

Three posts up.

O'Shea, Stegall & Calvillo autos in the pic.

Wow! A wrapper! How did you chance upon getting it?

I'm still wondering whether these Blue Ribbon cards were also included within Blue Ribbon tea, coffee and cocoa packages.

???

Wow! Those 1956 Shredded Wheat cards and 1959 Wheaties cards you have look nice and white from the above pictures! Are they really that white? I've found that thethe cardboard stock used for the 1956 Shredded Wheat cards in particular has a nasty tendency to yellow/tone which I hate. (When it comes to cards I'm tough on corners and toning, but I'm easy on centering.)

I started to collect the 1956 Wheaties cards about twenty years ago but since I was finding so very few of the Shredded Wheats (or 1959 Wheaties) that were up to my quality standards, I abandoned the effort. Since both these sets were slightly "before my time", I don't remember these cards from the schoolyard so I have basically no nostalgia for either set which dramatically lessens my compulsion to accumulate them.

What really soured me on the 1956 Shredded Wheat set though was that an older fellow who saw an ad I was running in the late nineties in the Canadian Sportcard Collector magazine dropped into my office around the turn of the century with fifty to sixty of the Shredded Wheats that he said he'd gotten out of the boxes when they were issued and just put them away. Well they were all toned to different shades of tan! Why would they have been all so different if they were stored together, unless the cardboard stock on which they were printed was of very irregular quality/consistency? Of course the fellow could have been lying about being the original owner....

Moreover the fellow turned out to be completely unrealistic/impossible. First of all he wanted the full NM price from the Charlton guide for every one of the cards, and like I say they were all toned to various degrees. A few also had dinged corners. Now I might have selected four or five of his whitest cards, but he called that "cherry picking" and didn't want to sell me just a few! (And it's not as if I was going to pick out the "stars", just the cards that came the closest to my NM standards.)

So in effect he wanted me to take the whole lot with every card priced at the high guide price! When I asked him what I was supposed to do with the cards I didn't need/want for my own collection, he replied that he assumed I'd sell them to my contacts among other collectors. So in effect he wanted me to take all the cards off his hands at full price, and then play the dealer with other collectors hoping to break even on the lot. "So you're expecting me to put up the cash up front, yet do the job of selling your cards for you?" I said. He agreed that, yes, he expected precisely that.

Meanwhile for the whole lot I was willing to pay no more than about $30 per card.No deal of course. The outrageous of his proposal still makes me mad whenever I think back about it.

:frowning:

I have the complete set of the 1961 cards. Here are a few. Hopefully I can get this to show up.