Post Combine Prospect Evaluation

Bit of an attitude maybe; interesting that he was the #2 back there last season behind another Canadian RB.

Machart has better RB production - playing in CanWest, and, in some big play-off games last season.

Well hopefully a Usports Linebacker; like Muamba, Ackie, Teitz, will welcome him to the league.

1 Like

AND I think the Ticats take this as a high bench mark (HA_Bench mark) for selecting their players.
BUT
Unfortunately 3 of the all time best bench performances belong to failed Ticat picks
Byron Archambeault 2nd all time with 41
Linden Gaydosh 8th all time with 36
J.P. Bekasiak 10th all time with 33

And interestingly enough
Gaydosh (Selected 1st overall), Bekasiak (Selected 4th overall) and Ben Heenan (Selected 1st overall) all finished top 10 in all time bench press, and all were relative busts to their draft selection position.

1 Like

I don’t think Hennan can be considered a bust. He was a pretty good RT, took an NFL opportunity and got injured.

Gaydosh and Bekasiak are busts. Gaydosh was an ok rotational defensive tackle and Bekasiak ended getting converted to guard.

I hear ya. Would have been a good pick.
But drafted 2012 and retired April 2016

Gaydosh had some injury problems right out of the gate. Might have been achilles if I recall. I don’t think he ever got back on track after that injury. At least not in Hamilton.

He would have been a good nose tackle or 1 technique had he stayed healthy.

1 Like

Tom Brady does not lift much if ever. He does stretching to elongate muscles rather than build up.

Brady is a freak and the GOAT . Who would you compare to him ?

Not many. But lifting excessive weights is not a smart thing to do imo. Many in the field of study believes it is a cause of injury to tendons and ligaments. Where Brady is the standout many should look at what he is doing with diet, and body preservation.
Wilson, now with Denver, very seldom takes a hit using the boundary as his friend. Same with Damon Allen. We think of Mike Reilly and Dunigan as tough. They were not smart.
Heavy repetitive lifting is a relic imo We don’t need 350 lb linemen. We need 260 lbs guys who can move and be effective in blocking for 2-3 seconds and know angles.

i think the 40 yard is silly too. I would measure the 10 yard burst though. And the grading of tackling too.

While I agree that Brady is the GOAT so far I do not see him as a freak. He has changed the model. He has extended his best before date by 7-8 years and others will follow. Aaron Rodgers might and we have Russell Wilson firmly stating he , at 33, will play at a high level for 12 more years.

CFL, NFL Draft QB hopeful Tre Ford finishes 5th in 60m final at U Sports National Championship

March 31, 2022

By 3Down Staff

Photo courtesy: Kevin Sousa/CFL.ca

Just days after wow’ing scouts at the CFL National Combine in Toronto, University of Waterloo quarterback Tre Ford has just barely missed the podium at the U Sports National Track & Field Championship in Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Competing in the 60-metre final, Ford finished fifth with a time of 6.85 seconds. Nigerian Usheoritse Itsekiri claimed the gold medal for the University of Regina with a time of 6.66 seconds, while Ford’s Warriors football teammate Immanuel Onyemah claimed silver and Jordan Soufi of the University of Manitoba rounded out the podium.

Ford had appeared to medal in the same event at the OUA Championships earlier this month, but was disqualified from the race after further review. He qualified for the national competition regardless thanks to an earlier time.

Ford has been garnering significant NFL interest since an appearance at the University at Buffalo pro day on March 17 where he recorded a 4.45-second forty-yard dash in front of representatives from 25 professional teams. The quarterback recorded a 36-inch vertical jump and a ten-foot, five-inch broad jump, backing up his performance with a stellar CFL Combine last weekend where he put up 17 reps of 225 pounds on the bench.

The five-foot-11, 200-pound quarterback had his best U Sports season in 2018 when he threw for 2,822 yards with 27 touchdowns and two interceptions while rushing 74 times for 641 yards and two touchdowns in eight regular season games. He was awarded the Hec Crighton Trophy in 2021 as the top player in U Sports football after throwing for 1,770 yards with 12 touchdowns and six interceptions while rushing for 667 yards and three touchdowns in seven games.

According to a report from 3DownNation’s Justin Dunk, 24 different NFL teams have inquired to Waterloo head coach Chris Bertoia regarding his dynamic dual-threat pivot. Ford was ranked as the sixth best prospect on the CFL’s Winter Scouting Bureau rankings and some feel he has an outside shot at being selected late in the 2022 NFL Draft.

The young man just continues to shine . His parents have to be proud .

Pat Lynch (hard work will pay off)

2 Likes

With that much NFL interest we might not see him in the CFL for quite a while. I would love to see a Canadian QB success story. It’s long overdue.

3 Likes

I’m sure we will see one with Rourke in BC. Their is an old quote and I maybe paraphrasing a bit.

“If an American QB from Notre Dame makes a mistake, he’s learning, but if Canadian QB does it, it means he just can’t play.”

6 Likes

Tre Ford to get CFL drafted? - he is on the CFL Scouting Bureau's Top 20 prospects list.

Mind you, Dinos' QB Adam Sinagra (Hec & Vanier winner) was on that list last year, and he got totally over-looked/snubbed in the CFL draft. Gee, I wonder why ?

Would you care to offer your opinion .

A player like Brad Sinopoli was never even given a chance at QB in the CFL. Instead he carved out an excellent career as a receiver. I think a gifted athlete like Sinopoli could have made it in the CFL as a QB. Maybe not as the next BLM or Reilly but at the very least a competent back-up.

If teams would ignore the player’s citizenship, biases, and ratio management then we could actually find out if these Canadian QBs can play.

5 Likes

Sinopoli was drafted as a QB and was on the Stamps roster as a QB (and got to play in ex. games as one); he was switched to receiver later after being cut from the QB depth chart.

Back to the question: why was Sinagra (a much better U Sports QB than Sinopoli IMO), not CFL drafted last year; and after being on the CFL Scouting Bureau’s Top 20 list at one time ?