Possible 2011 Grey Cup Anthem Singers

Okay, call me a grumpy old man. I prefer to here O Canada or The Star Spangled Banner sung by a professional, hopefully an opera singer, that has the maturity and discipline to avoid "tricking it up". Whomever the Lions hire to sing O Canada at the 2011 Grey Cup, I hope he or she does a better job than Christina Aguilera did last Sunday at Super Bowl.

Were I able to speak to Ms. Aguilera, I might offer these suggestions on singing national anthems:

I love your voice and admire your creativity. But national anthems are songs which are meant be sung the way they are written, with reverence and respect. THE ANTHEM IS NOT ABOUT YOU! They are not pop songs, open for interpretation. Anthems are meant to be the ultimate musical expression of a nation, not for showing off your chops. Your own recordings and live concerts give you ample opportunity to express your individuality. If you are not mature enough and cannot control yourself enough to sing the anthem as written, please decline the offer to sing your national anthem in the future.

Dooger in Surrey :thdn:

Maybe they should just play a record and get someone to lip sync while wiggling their body all over the place :wink:

You're not a grumpy old man, I agree totally.
There's nothing worse than the bastardization of a national anthem.
Sing it like it supposed to be and be done with it.

If the last few half-time performers are any indication, the singer or singers of the anthem must meet one if not both of the following criteria; they must be at least 60 years of age, and/or they must have a very small following. :lol:

I would like to hear how jim byrnes would sing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-nZ-Nu-zk

works for me, bad sound system an all.

Commander Cody would be the ticket and the half time show too.

Why do we sing national anthems at sporting events at all?

I've often wondered that as well. What is the point?

?_?

Very good comments dooger.

Some were wondering why the National Anthem is played at sporting events. I found some interesting information:

After America’s entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into “The Star-Spangled Banner.? The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song.

Given the positive reaction, the band played the song during the next two games, and when the Series moved to Boston, the Red Sox owner brought in a band and had the song played before the start of each remaining contest. After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution in 1931), the song continued to be played, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays and World Series games.

That explains why it is sung in the U.S. during sporting events. What I'm not sure about is whether or not it was just a matter of Canada following America's lead. I also don't know if this tradition is prevalent in European countries as well.

Patriotism is the underlying reason for singing our national anthem. I can understand it being sung during competitions involving multiple nations competing against each other such as during Olympic events. There is something very moving when the 3 medal finalists are standing on the podium and the anthem representing the gold medalist is played. I can see both anthems being played during World Cup competition. But I'm not so sure about local CFL, NFL or NHL events any more. I can see the intent to use a large gathering event such as these venues to "promote" our patriotic spirit but it seems to be done more out of tradition than patriotism now. I don't know, maybe it is not a bad thing to be reminded that we are Canadian [or American] and to jubilantly sing our Anthem.

Nice post, beaglehound. To those who are so arrogant they ask "why we even sing the National Anthem before sporting events", as if it were some imposition on their time, below is a partial list of very good reasons to do so:

-To quietly honour and give thanks to the Almighty for our healthy husbands, wives and children and dear friends
-For all the brave men and women who've died or were injured while serving our country in military service
-The inherent value in being openly patriotic. Remember how we felt as a country during the Winter Olympics?
-For the poor people who struggle their entire lives and who dread the thought of growing old
-For how lucky we are to live in a free, safe and open country like Canada. If you don't believe me, just look at what's happening right now in Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Bahrain, etc; where people are willing to die for freedoms we take for granted

And to remember all the athletes who played professional sport in years past. Many die prematurely, or have painful afflictions that stay with them until their last day. Some endure serious health issues like CTE, concussion symptoms, bad knees, etc. directly attributable to the abuse their bodies took playing ball. To put it in stark focus, in 2010 alone there were 14,000 registered concussions to football players in the United States.

Frankly, in a great country like Canada I find it mystifying why some people even need to ask why we sing our National Anthem. The good news is, when the grow up a bit more and quit naval-gazing they'll understand why we sing O Canada with our hands on our hearts. And when any Anthem is being played, take your hats off for goodness sakes and show some respect!

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

what about the opera dude who sings at the (? oilers or canucks ?) games.

just $ 0.02

Dooger, I don't think it's "arrogant", as you put it, to question why the anthem is sung before sporting events.

It may be arrogant to say we shouldn't ever do it at sporting events. . . but merely to ask the question, why, is hardly arrogant. . . and some good responses have been posted as to the historical background.

That said, I still question (as in, "I wonder why" and not as in "we shouldn't do it", trying not to get accused of being arrogant) why anthems are sung before sporting events but not played in a theatre before a movie (used to be done I seem to dimly recall) or when we start work or at the beginning of a church service or at the opening of a street festival of some sort. . .

You see I'm not questioning the anthem at all, just questioning why sporting events are singled out.

You posted as one reason:

Now many would not question the sentiment there (although the reference to "quietly" is a bit out of place when we're talking about singing a national anthem :smiley: ); but what does a sporting event have to do with this?

So if I believed in some sort of almighty, and wanted to give thanks to him/her/it for my wife and friends, why should I sing a national anthem at a sporting event? I am sorry I am trying not to be arrogant here, but I'm missing the connection between the sporting event and the sentiments to which you refer.

Again, I'm not saying it's wrong to do the anthems at sporting events, just wondering why it's done there and not at other events like the ones I mentioned earlier.

Oh my word. Now that is arrogant.
We are singing the National Anthem because our country is better than yours? or we are watching a football game and we are giving homage to those brain injured players who gave us enjoyment?" Really???
Oh lord…

When I said "quietly honour" I was referring to being quiet and respectful while the anthem is played. Do you not grasp the idea of being quiet while O Canada is being played or sung?

As I write this reply there are brave young Canadian men and women routinely putting themselves in harm's way, fighting a war in Afghanistan. According to Wikipedia, 45,400 young Canadian men and women died to free Europe from the oppression of the German military during the second world war alone. It is important that we do not forget the sacrifice these people made, so that people like you and I are free enough to speak our minds—even if it is to question the value of playing O Canada at ball games.

Please pardon the segue. Kudos to Coach Brillo for getting involved with the ALS society. What a class act that man continues to be. We are fortunate to have him in the most important leadership position on our team, excluding ownership. When he decides it is time to retire it will be very difficult to find someone with the character and skill to follow him as Head Coach and GM of the Lions.

-Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

Not sure why I'm wasting my time responding to you, Flag. But here goes:

Did someone drop you on your head as an infant, or what? It's not that Canada is better than Egypt, Libya, etc... . That is the kind of dim interpretation you come up with, all by yourself. It is that many people in our country either ignore, or forgot, what people who came before them had to do to preserve their country's freedom. Some people in Canada are short-sighted enough to take freedom for granted, while citizens of some middle eastern countries are willing to die for the cause of freedom. Do you grasp the distinction?

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

sorry if i offended you dooger.