Positions that need addressing

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on the state of the offense, at least the passing game, imo it is still in the stroller. :wink:

If your offense catches up to your defense, you'll be a good team. We have the almost the same problem at the moment, except our D plays 60 mins of hard football, and our O plays 20 minutes near the end of the game of hard football.

hmm.. LeFors, Randall, and Williams would all be backups on other teams, maybe, but guess what? So would Dinwiddie, so would Printers, so would Glenn, and in all likelihood, so would Jackson... so I don't see what your point is. At least the Bomber QBs are young and can improve, unlike Printers, Glenn, and Jackson.

Would Armstrong have made a difference? Probably. If he stepped on the field, but apparently that doesn't always happen. I'm a big Brock Ralph fan too. I don't see a reason not to be, he's a good receiver. I've been impressed with him more than any of the Bombers' other receivers not named Edwards.

And speaking of Derrick Armstrong, we're going into what...the third week of him being a free agent, and NOBODY has signed him? Could it be all the other Head Coaches have the same idea as Kelly...that no receiver (especially for the price tag) is worth the drama that DA pulled. It's too bad really cause this is the only time I can remember him doing this, but sometimes once is enough to get you the "locker room cancer" or "Head Case" label, which is never good.

You cannot even compare Lefors to Calvillo. Calvillo puts up good passing yardage whereas Lefors throws for 99 yards in a game. Sure anyone could hand off all game and not have any interceptions.

Dorian Smith, Jonathon Hefney, & Lavarus Giles and the only 3 guys who are completely new to the CFL this season. They're all younger, cheaper, and better than the guys they replaced. Lenny Walls and Brandon Stewart played in Calgary last year but they were Murphy finds so I'll include them as well. I don't know how many of our trades and FA signings are on Murphy or MK or a combo of both, but some of those have been very good as well. We got Morley to start at LT instead of Gauthier for almost 50% less money and he's been the better player so far this season. Shabazz has been 100 times better than what we had at WIL last season.

I honestly believe that with even average qb play against Edm. & Ham. we'd be 3-0 right now. I think our D is in the conversation with Sask. and Mont. as the best in the league.

…‘APPARENTLY’…this new kid Thorpe is looking pretty good …He could be installed as a kick/returner as early as the next game against T.O…a position we definitely need to address…As far as the qb. goes…LaFors was definitely nicked in the hammer when he collided and knocked out Floyd…ouch…His non-throwing shoulder is damaged a bit…I wonder, do we see Williams or Randall next???Rumour also out there is that Tyronne Williams will be released…with the play of Dorian Smith i’m not surprised…I would say if we don’t see any better play from Perry or Walls, there could be a change here as well…not impressed with either of them so far…soooooo it looks like the changes are still very much evident and with the ‘growing pains’ this team will suffer through in 09…will coninue to be a definite scenario… :wink:

Do you think maybe we might have a shot at swinging a deal with BC Gavin Walls for either pierce or jackson maybe we add richie willams or something in the mix aswell.

I really think it'd be in the best interest to actually move perry or walls and put Johnson there and he's canadian aswell so we could always move Logan out of the safety spot and replace him with an import, even know he has been playing pretty well this year at safety. It'd almost be an all canadian Dline if tyrone is cut

This is EXACTLY what needs to happen. We need to be more conventional (I don't mean vanilla) on offence until LeFors is ready for something different.

Fine, then look at interception percentage.. hmm.. LeFors is still second behind Calvillo. You can criticize him for a number of things so far, but his decision making isn't one of them.

...YES....I guess it would be a good idea to clarify which Walls we're talking about....the recent db signing is playing great ball....Gavin ,,,not so much.....Would Kelly make a trade with B.C.???? DOUBT IT....As fans we probably would.. :lol: but we're not coaching....I do see where you're coming from there supa... J.Jackson or Bucky 'might' be available if the leos don't get back to playing Wally ball....The lions are pretty high on this Lullay guy...after watching how smooth he was for the little time he got to play in their last game, i can see why..It would take a guy of Gavin Walls calibre to make a deal but don't hold your breath..Johnson (the guy we got for Moreno) looked great at the beginning of the year....Why they are not playing him in place of Perry is beyond me????Guess cuz we're not coaching :wink:

I think the position that needs adressing are the Coach/GM position since he's the one who completely overestimated a QBy he coached for a year in Edmonton. If the man can't evaluate players, the team is doomed to be mediocre.

Than the guy who hired the said Coach/GM: Darth Bauer.

Asper has probably started talking with people already about how he's going to clean up this freak show...

i have a feeling that kelly and lefors will both have short lives as bombers if the recent play continues... kelly has already said after the hamilton game that this is stephans team and he'l be starting next game... shows too much confidence in a guy that has shown us nothing! im not saying lefors wont get better and maybe be a decent qb sometime, but he is not very good at all right now i think we either need to start playing randall and williams or start bringing in other guys to look at. when your production is this awful your qbs job cant be safe like kelly is making lefors right now.

as i posted in another thread i believe craphonso thorpe will do a good job as a kick returner, he will most liekly get a look this friday against toronto, he was a track star in college and many nfl teams took looks at him in his brief pro career, he hasnt had the consistency to be a starting nfl reciever but i think he has enough talent to at least push for a position with us.

and d line is doing a great job stopping the run but not getting enough pressure so im not sure what to do with this situation, wouldnt mind bringing in a couple guys just to see how they stack up with the vets

im ok with our secondary, for the most part coverage was ok, hamilton was getting way too much time to sit back there and make plays which u cant really fault the secondary for.. these guys are ball hawks and play a high risk high reward game i wouldnt really tinker to much with them.. and logan has been amazing so far imo at safety

Well after reading and hearing kelly say this is Lefors team i guess the only way to bring in another veteran QB is if he get injured.

BTW does anyone know what type of player Thorpe is i know he is a receiver but is he slotback or wideout? cuz if this guy is anything like they say with his speed i think kelly could turn this guy if he plays slotback that is into a player like he had in Edm with kelly campbell and have the guy run crossing routes through the middle (high completion passes)

....I have a problem with Kelly in the area of.....' stick with the guy even though he ain't getting it done'...His requirements to play on this team are.....Heart and desire...and discipline....Sure they're great qualitites...HOWEVER...you better have talent of some sort, at what you do ,or its all for not...We have let some pretty good ball players go because they were 'undisciplined' ,according to Mike....but what good is keeping a disciplined player if he can't perform...LeFors has something Kelly sees...I have a hard time seeing what that is , right now....Maybe in time...but how long will Bomber fans give him...???..I think there are a lot of disappointed people , who expected a 'little' more off the top....and they're not even getting that....Sure its early...and maybe that game was a 'one-off'... but if it wasn't....we could be in for one looooooong season :wink:

i have no idea have long he will have but i hope its not too long, both williams and randall are younger than lefors and i think both have decent enough skill sets that should at least be given a chance this season

especially brian randall, you cant evaluate him on his limited game experiences so far, i think he is still the best qb for the FUTURE that we have at the moment. lefors may turn out to be a decent qb, but if properly coached and given time to develope i think randall might be the better option.... randal has the stronger arm, he's a running back in the open field that can lead to big plays, his speed means teams would likely have a linebacker "spying" him often which would create a little more space for our recievers and or backs. and he's young, lots of years ahead of him. if its going to be a rebuilding and learning year i at least hope this guy gets a chance and that we dont spend a whole season with a guy that so far hasnt produced.

i think thorpe would be perfect for the cambell role he has very quick excelleration and can run with the best of them, whats left to find out is if he has the hands to handle a role where he may have to make some tricky catches out there alone with the db's and the safety, only time will tell

Lefors took all the reps at practice today apparently. Some have mentioned that even in practice his throws are sailing on him. Some are suggesting it's just mechanics, others think his arm is already tired. Either way, it will be Lefors at least to start the TO game. Personally, from what I have seen, it's just his mechanics, especially when he drops back or rolls to the right and has to get his body turned back around to the left to throw. Very odd looking, his body is way out front and the release point is behind his head, similar to a pitcher having issues.

If LeFarce stinks out the joint against Toronto, Kelly will have to go to plan B, or Winnipeg fans will be calling for Kelly’s head on a platter.

Anyone impressed with “The Database” ?
[/quote]
Actually I’m very impressed with the team he’s put together. Compared to last year we’re better at every position with the glaring exception of our qb so far and our kick return game. The Database brought a very good returner to camp (Ramonce Taylor) and MK cut him b/c of behavioural problems. Lefors was MK’s chose at qb.

Can you name the players “The Database” has produced ?

Thanks

Dorian Smith, Jonathon Hefney, & Lavarus Giles and the only 3 guys who are completely new to the CFL this season. They’re all younger, cheaper, and better than the guys they replaced. Lenny Walls and Brandon Stewart played in Calgary last year but they were Murphy finds so I’ll include them as well. I don’t know how many of our trades and FA signings are on Murphy or MK or a combo of both, but some of those have been very good as well. We got Morley to start at LT instead of Gauthier for almost 50% less money and he’s been the better player so far this season. Shabazz has been 100 times better than what we had at WIL last season.

I honestly believe that with even average qb play against Edm. & Ham. we’d be 3-0 right now. I think our D is in the conversation with Sask. and Mont. as the best in the league.
[/quote]

[/quote]
So that’s 3 players (We can’t count guys that we’re in Calgary and such)

Defense might be good, hard to say because of the offense but it seems to be the stronger unit.

So if we put Glenn in there instead of Lefors, my opinion is the
Bombers are somewhere at 2-1 or 3-0 pretty tragic error…

Great points on all subjects. I really like Kelly and I think he can be a real good coach in this league but I'm scared him handcuffing himself to LeFors is going to cost him in the long run. I hate when people clammer for the quarterbacks head after only a few games because growing pains are expected with these guys and that's the only way they'll get better BUT LeFors has been bad so far. It's hard to sustain drives offensivley in the CFL when your quarterback has a completion rate under 50%. Ultimatley, that has to improve.