posibility expansion

QC vs ALs
Halifax vs BC....east coast vs west coast.

those are good looking rivalries dg, I think at some point the league will just have to do what makes the most economic sense and put teams in cities that really want it and will support it no matter what....

Yes, agree by default only. Just think the travel if involved in back to back Labour Day games like Esks-Stamps and Argos-Ticats. It's like a seven hour air travel. Which I suppose is the other down side as well, the travel costs like BC almost, will be astronomical for Halifax. They are going to have to have creative scheduling, instead of flying home after a western game, a back to back for the next western city.

dont have back-to-back for the BC vs Halifax....just switch the home team every-other year.

Maybe with Halifax as a new team, the league creates a Canada Day game to start the schedule, with maybe a different team coming every year. Like I believe the Gades are involved in.

sounds like a great idea.

How about a triple header to start off the schedule. With ten teams we will have, yes, more games with five per week. Just think, the CBC Saturday night games can be like the NHL, double headers. Of course, many more possibilities exists in this wonderful league and when there are more teams. The sooner the better.

I think we are all jumping ahead of ourselves pretty far. We need a 10th team way before we have to worry about a twelth team.

I personally can't see it go any farther then the 10 teams.

Untill quite far in the future.

how can u say the league wont /cant get to 12....were at 9 now, and there are halifax, QC to make 11....then we got options of london, windsor or any city in the west to make 12....12 is very realistic.....just not gonna be in the next 4 years.

but obviously we'll see 10 teams first....and it will stay at 10 for a few years after that.

I'm sorry, call me a cynic, but I just don't think there is the fan base for 3 expansion teams. We are having trouble with our one right now(Ottawa), whose to say the others would do better

because i say so

I think that the Halifax expansion is really going to happen within the next couple of years, and hopefully the Ottawa situation will straighten itself out. After equalizing the divisions I wouldn't see the league just adding an 11th franchise but rather adding two franchises to make it even at 6 and 6. Realistically there aren't any more cities in the West that could support a CFL franchise. Two expansion franchises could be awarded to the east within the next 10 years(QC and windsor?). This would leave an eastern team playing in the west and I wouldn't have any problems with that. Would you?

the league had no problem expanding to an odd number with 9 teams…so i dont see why they would have a problem expanding to 11 teams…11 teams are better than 10.

but i do think they will stay at 10 for atleast 8 years before adding an 11th team.

Although I am starting to believe more so to need to keep our game exclusively in Canada, under the right circumstance the possibility of adding team(s) from the US border states to round off an even number of teams. Especially out west.

if they can work out the import rule so they have to follow the same as us, then i wouldnt mind 1 western us team to even the divisions at 6 each.

but the CFL would have to find a us city in the west that isnt close to an nfl team, and which has high CFL tv .ratings and had high attendance in a cfl pre-season game....it has to be done to perfection.

but ONLY after we have 11 canadian teams first....QC, Halifax, and all the current CFL teams.

I wouldn't mind a us team either if it meant equal divisions. And even if it wasn't for that reason, i wouldn't mind at all us teams that are close to the border and proven to be able to support a franchise(correct the mistakes of the first cfl us expansion) by have the league research and look into it a bit more.

The import rule in all likelihood would not meet the US requirements and would not fly. During the last US expansion, there was talk but it was not implemented how the equivilant to the non import would be the US team having players from their immediate region/state only. Meaning for example only, a Portland team could only have "non import" players from Oregon and the import, from the rest of the nation.

as for a 12th team, making 6 in each division....

For expansion south of the border to ballence this out, I'd say Portland OR would be the best choice. Strong football country, just make sure that they don't schedule home games for college football saturdays, and market it for people to support local colleges on saturday, and CFL on Sunday. Inclusion of some OU/OSU/WU/WSU stars would be an automatic draw.

Other possibility would be for Fargo/Moorhead on the N.Dakota/Minnesota border. Bit smaller, but would be a natural "red river rival" with the Blue Bombers.

Salt Lake City is another, but I'm not a fan of the area!

Using college alumni on the team is a great way to create a following ... for example, I hear that the CFL is popular in Montana, because of Dave Dickenson.