Porter's Comment on the Sack

I agree 100%, my point is about Porters comments and that he DID NOT lay blame on the other players on and the field and looking at this play, there are others to blame. So to me his comments if leading towards blaming the coaches, well so be it, he didnt call out any other players, Thats a leader of the troops, and he is a member of the troop !!!

Comes down to player that checked off and read blitz, a missed block by another and a pass route that cant be seen by the view on TV. So how is it you know, were you there? I d like to see the full field view.

I'm not saying find a receiver I'm saying 13 yards is enough time to get rid of the ball and get it out of bounds not into the hands of a receiver. Most quick thinking qbs do that with little time left in a game just get rid of it.

I will give you that, yes in a perfect world he could have tossed it away, but lets be real here.

When his hot read vanished due to a check off IMO that 1/2 second to release was gone. Call it a mistake if you wish, but I call it effort. This play broke down, Porter tryed to make something happen, I d like to know why the play broke down is all.

If people want to blame they should be blaming the right player or the right combination of players.

I only saw that play once, because I had to change the channel for sanity reasons after that, but with the untouched rushers, it seemed like he didn't have a chance to scramble out to where he could throw it away legally.

Meaning that if he did throw it away from in the pocket, it would have been intentional grounding or whatever they call it, but that's a 10yd penalty. Throwing it blindly downfield into coverage is also not good ball safety. If they failed to communicate about where that play was supposed to go at that point in the game, it seems to me that's at least in part a coaching/system failure. Either some players missed their assignments or there's something wrong with the play calling system if the OC can call a play that confuses the players.

folks...he is a rookie quarterback give him a break and realise that this team has already gonefurther in competitveness and in the standings than most of could have dreamed of...face it- we lost a heartbreaker and we were in the game until the last few seconds----i ve seen faloney, zuger and ealey in similar situations- 2 seconds and you eat the ball
marcel will coach him about the adviseability of keeping it in the house when it comes to post game comments...and that is how it should be...till then lets cut some slack..you dont want to run him out of town do you? :expressionless:

Great analysis of how that sack was the culmination of something larger going wrong:

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47461]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47461[/url]

PS. see if you can guess who wrote it....

ADAWG:
So you are suggesting that Porter should have thrown the ball away BEFORE he knew the line had broken down?
Wow...this is armchair quarterbacking at its silliest.
Gibson should have called a rollout, slant, screen frather than a drop back pass...anything to get the ball quickly to a receiver (if there was one) in the open area behind the d line. It only happened once in the game despite all the blitzing Calgary did. Not good enough.

Ummmm… some do, it seems.

People.... you don't want us to develope a QB? I don't know what other team would take QP in heartbeat. AC, Danny Mac, Dunnigan, Allen, Flutie, Garcia all went through growing pains in this league and had a harder time doing it so far than QP. Give him some time, he's only had 12 games as a starter.

well put hombre.
some of these posters are a bunch of

SAD SACK arm chair quarterbacks,., lots of colour and stuffing but no spine

:cowboy:

we had a young kid we ran out of town a few years ago…his initials were AC… remember?
now look where he is and where we want to be…I ll spell it out for you CALVILLO…AND if you recall what they said about him on CHML in those days on the post game shows…ouch!

faloney, zuger, ealey… all the ticat greats faced the same 2 second dilemma and when they were younger…all did what quinton did…and truth be told… some actually kept doing long after they were rookies…

to quinton…keep it up kid…just keep it in house… you wont find a better coach more attuned to young players than Marcel… .look over the boo team or the peg…(another blue team can you believe it?)
and you cansee the kind of coach we could have had…

Folks you don't develop a QB to the point it takes you out of a playoff position when you have a team that could (with some luck) take you to the Grey Cup. most teams takes years to develop a QB. For some reason we seem to think we have to do it in one year.
Porter is losing confidence, MB is losing the confidence of his team, fans are getting angry, Glenn and the receivers are getting frustrated.
Start Glenn for heaven's sake and stop being so bull headed.

Let me repeat what has already been said. NO ONE IS RUNNING PORTER OUT OF TOWN. Sitting on the bench for the rest of the season to continue his learning curve is not running him out of town. But if MB continues to play him, and he continues to underperform, he will be run out of town and booed off the field. That's not good for anyone.

sitting on the bench is not a learning curve... :thdn: platooning is

if you folks can remember when we played in ottawa===yes==there was a team there ones grandson

russ jackson and ron lancaster tandomed.....

wood splinters from a bench is NOT a learning curve... :thdn:

I just got word from a very reliable source that the coaches sent in the following play to Quinton Porter. The play is as follows. Triple reverse half-back lateral criss-cross outside flank right double right single left wide fade corner post route on two.

Heck if I was Porter I would be confused as well as pi$$ off.

Smile folks, it is a lot better than it was last year!

Cheers,

Brox

totally agree! time to put-what is after all, a game— into perspective

btw i agree with you about the play called… but i would have not faded before i did a corner post route on two…

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Interesting play call, but usually these OCs or head coaches want to come out sounding sofistikated and all, y’all. So yonder play in Gibsonese is:

wait for it…

Upside down Flint-Rubble bubble cake alert big man coming at you scramble duck chuck Calgary ball on two!

;)

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Does anyone know if Hamilton had a time out left ? Or was it used with a bad challenge?

Wow....give this dude a break!!!
Talk about taking comments way out of context. An emotionally crushed guy is being asked 'how he cost us the game' -- don't expect the most articulate and well presented answer.

Basically, he's saying 'I totally f'd up' while at the same time recognizing that the QB position is not bigger than the team.

Personally, I really would've thought our line, with the game on the line, would've given our QB more than a 1/4 steamboat to figure out what the hell he's going to do with the ball. Yes, the ball should've been spiked or sent into the seats.

As I said before...Porter deserves a lot of the credit for getting the team in a position to win and a good chunk of the blame for the loss. That doesn't mean there weren't points left on the field and a few others who were responsible for undue pressure late in the game.

I think this guy is going to be a good one. Had my doubts earlier in the year -- mainly due to arm strength -- but I think he's got the tools and brains to be a good QB in this league.

We'll regret this -- big time -- if we run him out of town. (Not to mention we'd be running him out of town in favour of a guy who hasn't faired a whole lot better -- and is no spring chicken either.

We're in the playoff hunt with him at the helm -- and we have a very solid 'option B' with Glenn.

The play and what really happened.

Porter lines up in the shotgun; we overload the left side and go face to face with the strength of Calgary’s blitz, which everyone knew was coming.

Stala comes in motion up to the line.
With no play action at all Cobb stays put to block.
Rodriguez runs what appears to be a short in.

This said what happened when the play began.
Stala got to the line read the blitz decided to stay in as a blocker, and did a fine job picking up a defender.
Cobb with no other function other then blocking does not lay a hand on any one and stands there simply taking up space.
Rodriguez runs an in and goes out of camera view it appears Porter looks but doesn’t make the pass.

So my take on this is the right play was called and one of the players mentioned missed their assignment. I believe Stala was to be Porters first look on the hot route and Rodriguez was going to take Calgary’s only non blitzing linebacker out of the way. Under these circumstances the only play that could have worked was the pass to Stala and Stala wasn’t there to Porters surprise.