Porter's Comment on the Sack

"To be honest, on that particular play, I didn't know where to go with the ball. I'm not sure what we were trying to do."

Is he taking the blame, taking a shot, or saying he didn't understand the call from the bench?

and again inexperience rears its ugly head

It's too bad we didn't have an experience CFL quarterback to take over........wait a minute!

8) I would say, (from that quote), that it is a combination of "taking a shot" and saying he didn't
 understand the call from the bench  !! <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

Im with tipper on this one sounds like a politically correct answer the wires are crossed are high school offense needs a kick in the ass ... It has gone on too long time for a change in play calling ... and open up some new plays out of the vault .We are a very predictable team ,and offense.
We need to make a change Big Time ...There is a change to be made when a Pro quarter back says this out loud to the press ( I'm not sure what we were trying to do." ) .....Now theres a problem ( OC ) or ( QB ) something has to give ...

If this quote is ACCURATE (source, please) ... it is a FOREBODING comment which shows something is VERY WRONG within the locker room.

He is most DEFINITELY not 'taking blame' with a comment like that. He is most DEFINITELY taking a shot at his COACH, and COORDINATOR.

Combine this quote with Milt Steegal's EXPOSE, and the PICTURE being painted is not a pretty one ... Especially for a club heading down the homestretch of a PLAYOFF run.

As I don't see ANYBODY in the equation going anywhere this season ... these men have to 'cowboy up' and get their $#@! together ...

Peace.

8) The quote IS Accurate. Source, Hamilton Spectator, Drew Edwards column, Monday, Oct. 5.

Porter should have just said, "it was my fault for not throwing it out of bounds." By instead saying that he didn't understand what they were trying to do, he is being critical of Gibson. But really, it is Porter's fault. If Porter didn't like what he saw, defensive-allignment-wise, he should have just ran forward with the ball himself, or immediately thrown it out of bounds. No matter what the play call was, this one's on Porter.

Did we not have a time out left, to stop the clock and talk about the right play to use. Porter had the play they just rushed us to fast and if you watch I think Cobb missed his block. :cry:

Its that simple.
there was no way any decent qb loses 13 yards on that play.

if your going to post a quote include the whole thing.

"To be honest, on that particular play, I didn't know where to go with the ball. I'm not sure what we were trying to do. I guess I have to learn from this -- when the time comes and I don't know what to do, I just have to chuck it out of bounds," he said."

Clearly he knows he made a mistake and has more to learn.

The addition of the rest of the quote doesn't take away the focus of what Porter said.

Or the thread.

[quote="tcmike"]if your going to post a quote include the whole thing.

I didn't quote the second sentence of his comments because it's quite clear what he meant in that one. Its not clear what he meant with the sentence I did quote ..... WHY didn't HE know where to go with the ball?
And, was HE NOT SURE what they were trying to do?

No but the theme or general feeling is blame Porter. Seems some want him to say "my fault" when it was really a poorly coached game on offense. Porter admits to needing to learn. I think Glenn needs to get the start next week but don't blame this loss on the QB.

I agree the coaching staff should take some of the blame we didnt change our offense plays when Galgary kept blizzing us the whole 4th quater

Thank you, tcmike. This changes entirely the colour of the quote and the merit of the criticisms leveled at Porter.

Meanstreak, I am sure Marcel decided that he would sit down with Quinton
to discuss his frustrations when he saw the state he was in after the game.

Perhaps Matt Dunigan was bang on when he said he felt
that Quinton was suffering from 'information overload'

If that's so, simplifying things can work that out.

Marcel will nip any problem in the bud before
it starts to brew into significant problem.

P.S.

The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Another one of so near ... yet so far

Ticat QB Porter reflects on what could have only if

October 05, 2009

Drew Edwards The Hamilton Spectator

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/647510

Here is the quote we are talking about.

"To be honest, on that particular play,

I didn't know where to go with the ball.

I'm not sure what we were trying to do...."

1. When the comment was made?
Twenty minutes after the Ticats heart-breaking 15-14 loss to the Calgary Stampeders on Saturday night,

quarterback Quinton Porter sat in his stall, still in uniform.
His eyes were red and his face was a mask of frustration.

2. Did strong emotions trigger of the comment?
Porter had taken a sack on a crucial second down play with time winding down in the fourth quarter, the game on the line.
3. What else did Quinton say?
"We played so hard and it just comes down to that one play

-- actually it doesn't come down to that one play,

but it looks that way -- it's just a tough situation.

We can't pick up that blitz and you have to throw the ball away..."

Porter said. "You wish you could go back and change it but you can't."

Porter, who finished 22 for 33 for 262 yards with no TDs
and one interception, said there was confusion on the final play.

"To be honest, on that particular play, I didn't know where to go with the ball.

I'm not sure what we were trying to do. I guess I have to learn from this

-- when the time comes and I don't know what to do,

I just have to chuck it out of bounds," he said.

I think it was clear to anyone watching that play that Porter didn't know what to do on that one. He really didn't need to tell me that. I don't know why he didn't know that he should have just thrown it away at the time, but I guess none of us had CGY's defense charging at us either. Porter is a kid who clearly doesn't know what he should and shouldn't say at this point. He needs to learn NOT to say what he's thinking while he's still upset because then it starts the speculation about him being unhappy and not being a good leader and blady blah.

I like your thoughts, shutting up may be the way to go for QP. Yet on the another hand he had every right to blast one of his team mates who made a big time mistake and he didnt. We really need some one from the team thats knowledgeable to point out exactly what took place.

I ve watched this play many times now and wish I could see more of the field. There are three other players directly involved in what went wrong and before any of us can comment what they were doing is key.

Theres alot more to this play then meets the eye as it could be seen on TV.

This sack has been gone over many times on other threads.
Porter had 2 secs from the time he got the snap and and started his read to when he was sacked.
Not enough time to do anything! It would have taken him that long to get his arm back to throw it away. This has happened to every QB, good and bad...many times.
In this case it was the play calling as well as the lack of protection that should be looked at first.

Sorry no dice on the no time. If he had time to lose 13 yards he had time to toss it away. Comes down to slow decision making not no time.