Porter to see ‘significant playing time’

Yeah, coach Sal is great. Been around a long time and flies somewhat under the radar in Tigertown. Wonder if he could, or would write abou the tabbies, either here or elsewhere.

In fact, he’d be a great weekly interview on Ti-Cats TV. Maybe sit down and talk X’s and O’s with Justin Dunk.

You know Captain, I was thinking a similar thing. It's like that football 101 class that the Tiger cats have been promoting. Coach Sal is a solid colour analyst on CHML and a great communicator, and as such would make a very good teacher.

I'd sign up for any such class he's instructing....

Yeah thanks, looking back at the draft tables, I can’t see much that he passed over except for 2008 where he chose Barker over four starting olinesmen. Tsoumpass, Sorensen, Labatte,Newman. Most GM’s would have probably done the same.

Smart move I think. KG is the better QB in my opinion but if he goes down, QP needs to be able to step in. So far, he's had almost zero playing time this year. He needs to have more game action time if he's to have any hope at all of leading the team. Also, the team needs to see if it has a bonafide starter-in-the-wings in QP.

I have visions of Dinwiddie trying to step in and lead the Bombers a few years back. With almost no playing time during the regular season, he had no chance in the GC game.

An Argo-Cat fan

A loss this weekend in Montreal pretty much insures the Ticats are going on the road for the ESF. At which point I suspect dealt that two of spade, Marcel makes the best of it and starts planning for post season, then you hope for an ESF in Montreal against a tired Als team coming back from BC on a short week.

Last week I was packing up and ready to leave during the 3rd-4th Q break. The reason I stayed to the bitter end was Porter's performance. Before anyone drops the 'garbage time' objection (a term which not only disrespects the players but also given a 42 man roster is inaccurate) he looked good yet I didn't see him checking down to second or third reads. Maybe I missed it.

Third place is by no means a given at this point. However, although we'd all prefer a home playoff game, as long as we're in there is a chance of winning it all given the parity of the league. An effective Porter may contribute by necessity or option in November success. There is certainly no harm in giving him or even Boltus playing time now.

It seems very odd to me that Bellefeuille would declare, before the fact, that Porter "will see significant playing time" during these upcoming critical games. With final standings and home field advantage in the playoffs still to be determined, I don't know how he can guarantee that Porter will see playing time at all at this point (aside from his usual short yardage duty), let alone significant playing time.
What if Glenn plays well in each of these games and the scores remain close throughout such that the the winner is likely to be the team with the final possession of the game. Is Marcel going to pull Glenn anyway, regardless of the game situation and playoff repercussions, simply to ensure that Porter sees "significant playing time"? Doesn't really make sense.

This whole issue is to pressure Glen into playing better, and if he does, Porters significant playing time will be cut significantly. Glen has a bit of a reputation for playing better when under pressure.

Does anything else about this year’s team “make sense”? A lot of the moves MB has made are questionable at best and sub par at worst. I am speaking as someone who would like to see Porter get ‘significant playing time’. We’ll have to wait and see if this particular move is a) sub par b) questionable or c) a wise decision. I personally hope for c) but wouldn’t be surprised by either a) or b). :roll:

edit: to be fair I wouldn’t want to have to make such a decision. The vultures will be out circling if a) or b) is the result. :wink:

I think the fact that Edmonton has had some success with popping Kerry Joseph in and and out of games may provide a bit of justification in the minds of the coaches that, hey, the ground won’t necessarily open up and swallow your team if you put your backup in for a few series. I think the difference may be that at his age, Kerry Joseph isn’t a young up-and-comer threatening to unseat Ray for the starter’s job, so the social dynamic is very different.

Lets not forget that Porter was our starting QB when Glenn got signed as his backup.
Kevin then earned the starters role with better play than Quinton.
They also make approx. the same money.(both contract extensions offered by Obie)
This is not Marcels call IMHO it is from Obie.
I think it will be up to Marcel to make this work!

From what I see when Porter takes over he has slowed down considerable from when he first arrived. I don’t really see him as that much of a running threat. On the occasions he has been brought into games he has for the most part not looked at all like he is a starter. Maybe he will prove me wrong. I hope so. It seems to me only teams in the west are able to have a backup who is capable of taking over.

I am not perturbed by this, although I have been critical of Porter's inability to make effective multiple reads on passing plays and his overall ball security (read lack of pocket presence) during the last few years. I am less inclined to believe the team's issues rest largely on the shoulders of Kevin Glenn than others on this board. However, I do believe the overall malaise of this team can be gleaned in the observation that Kevin Glenn can likely tackle better than Jason Shivers, but I really digress.

(Is there a sarcasm icon and why would I use it? LOL :wink: )

This team is mediocre in terms of record and approach. Anything that can shake things up and get the team on the rails IS a good thing. A negative outcome to the experiment would reinforce that a) Porter can't be the guy moving forward, b) Boltus would be the de facto backup, and c) we would really be in third-place-equals-an-early-November-exit mode. In the grand scheme of things, it is not the biggest mistake ever anticipated.

Kevin Glenn may be on a short leash, but Porter might be one of those Coles Notes on Old Yeller where the last chapter's pages stick together to lead to the finale happening a little quicker. Maybe then Boltus will get to show his wares.

I really, really hope Porter can prove my instincts wrong here and that he does the most with the opportunity he is to be provided. This team has the capacity to explode offensively both in terms of points and of being blown to bits by lack of execution and good playcalling. If Porter can in any way boost our chances, go for it!

It is fish or cut bait time for Quinton Porter. This team has been Jekyll-and-Hyding it through most of the year, so it is time to see if we get a bit of Joe Montana-like magic from #12. Methinks there will be more cases of read-and-react a la Hannah Montana. We shall see.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Wisers clap.

Porter is the Cats QB of the future , which is now! Glenn compliments Porter well off the bench, IMO it comes down to coaching, a good set of plays and good reps in practice!!

I don't care what QB they play, If the Cats come out to play uninspired like they have been they will lose period!

And who's fault is that??????????????? QUESS?

Like the late, lamented Ron Lancaster used to say:

At certain (losing) times, the most popular player on a football team is the back-up quarterback.

Um, mine? :wink:

LMAO I hope you have full bang for your buck today, Bob! :wink:

This doesn’t mean you’ll be the starting QB today (like a certain April Fools Day joke you played in your first year of ownership)?

:thup: :thup: :thup: