Porter to see ‘significant playing time’

Hamilton Ticats head coach Marcel Bellefeuille says backup Quinton Porter will see “significant playing time? during the final four games of the regular season.

Veteran Kevin Glenn will keep the No. 1 job but, after Porter’s strong performance in relief during Friday’s loss to Winnipeg — 96 yards on 6-for-9 passing and two long scoring drives — Bellefeuille says the team needs to see what else the No. 2 man can do.

“Kevin will start this week but it’s our intention to give Quinton an opportunity down the stretch,? Bellefeuille said. “We feel like he’s earned it.?

“It was important for us to see him play an extended period of clean football — no turnovers, execute your reads, put the ball in the end zone — and he did that,? Bellefeuille said. “He’s done some good things in critical situations against good teams and we need to see more of what he can do.?

Glenn is fifth in the Canadian Football League with 3,325 passing yards, amassing 19 TDs and 11 interceptions. His numbers have mirrored the team’s fortunes — he has a quarterback rating of 118.3 in Hamilton’s seven wins and a 69.2 mark in their seven losses.

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/article/608386--porter-to-see-significant-playing-time]http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... aying-time[/url]

They might as well since they probably will end up in 3rd. This may prove once and for all whether Porter has matured to a starter position after almost 4 seasons in the organization.

Is this a joke...
I thought you wanted to go into the playoffs hot and firing on all cylinders?

One thing we haven't tried in the Glenn / Porter era is platooning.

We've pulled Porter and pulled Glenn but haven't gone about trying to see what benching one or the other for a series will do...

I'd call it clean with an asterisk. Porter's very first throw of the night was a only a hair's breadth from being picked off. That said, with 3rd place in the division almost a certainty, it can't hurt to get another look at him in the remaining games.

And it's pretty sad when Glenn, a 10 year vet throws almost the same pass - INT ratio as Porter and lacks the mobility and arm strength and height.

You mean like last year when we lost to Calgary and BC going into the playoffs? This team is now so inconsistent that who the hell knows what will happen. It might even inspire Glenn to play better in the BIG game.

“Quinton has evolved to the point where he’s earned the opportunity. Had it happened earlier, we would have done it earlier,? Bellefeuille said. “The timing has more to do with him being ready.?
Might this be the beginning of the transition from the Glenn era to the Porter era?

Will this "push" Glenn?

Bellefeuille says the team needs to see what else the No. 2 man can do.
I thought we already knew what the No.2 man Porter can do, as he was the No. 1 man a short few years ago and has started approx 18 games for the Cats yet lost his job to Glenn.

Give Boltus a few downs.

Yea, the guy has a GREAT ARM...let's see what he has in a game situation.*** please note I did not say "start Boltus" but there were a few times this year when he could have been put in.

I've said it all along...if it's working...don't fix it... but if it's not, then make the change. If Glenn is not on his game or the offence needs a "spark" then give Porter a shot...then Boltus. If a game is lost anyway, at least they get some playing time.

Injuries to our "O" Line,(Marwan and Dyakowski)
If Kevin has to run for his life every other down, maybe it is better to have the more mobile Porter in than risking Kevin getting smoked and losing him for the season.
Porter has the escapability that Kevin does not, also Porter is much bigger and can withstand a little more contact.

Again fans complain that Marcel is too soft and makes up excuses... I read this to mean that if Glenn chokes he will be pulled. He's telling Kevin play better or he will not hesitate to play Porter. Very gutsy move and also tells me the Ticats brass is not very comfortable with Glenn at this point. This team wants answers and will make changes to take a step. It is not really much of a gamble really and they will have a better idea of where they need to go for next year.

Oline situation is Obi's fault IMO, he's neglected the position at the draft table for five years.

This is certainly a good move...remember last season at the end where Porter went in and the apparently he had no reps for quite a while before that?
I get nervous when a backup is not part of the game plan. He needs to be well prepared.....whoever it is.

I don't think the team is serious about starting Porter, their just trying to put the squeeze on Glen. If they were serious they would practice Porter with the number one offense and then start him. To ride the pines for most of the game and then get thrown in cold turkey and make perfect passes to WR that's asking an awful lot good fans, especially the Bombers tough pass defense. Let the guy start and get the his timing and flow of the game down thats what Porter has to work on.

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/article/608386--porter-to-see-significant-playing-time]http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... aying-time[/url].

You said you read in this article that if Glenn chokes he will be pulled?

Are these the quotes that led you to that conclusion, HfxTC?
[i]
after Porter’s strong performance in relief during Friday’s loss to Winnipeg — 96 yards on 6-for-9 passing
and two long scoring drives — Bellefeuille says the team needs to see what else the No. 2 man can do.

or Bellefeuille said. “He’s done some good things in critical situations
against good teams and we need to see more of what he can do.?[/i]

If not, which quotes are you referring to that gives you the idea

that if Glenn chokes he will be pulled or any of the following ideas?

I would be interested to know how many other people read what Marcel said that way.

Obie hasn't been here 5 years. I am on the way out to an appointment
but, HfxTC, you are wrong about Obie neglecting to draft O-linemen.

Check it out.

This show the ticats have no Direction WAIT I Take it back there go backwards.

:roll:

First, Obie's been here for 4 drafts, not 5. Second, "neglected" is a stretch.

Let's look at Obie's OL moves in recent drafts:

http://www.cfl.ca/canadian_draft/list

2011:
Drafted O-linemen with our first (in round 2) and fourth (in round 3) picks.

2010:
Forfeited our first round pick by taking Zac Carlson (OL) in the 2009 supplemental draft.

2009:
Drafted Simeon Rottier first overall.
Drafted another O-Lineman in round 6.

2008:
No O-Linemen drafted.
The previous GM had drafted two O-Linemen in round 2 of the 2007 draft.

Last game, during the half time show on CHML, when interviewed, Obie thought it would be a good idea for Porter to get some playing time in the second half of that game.

Perhaps, the GM's influence on this decision too?

Coach Sal discusses Quinton Porter and Kevin Glenn.

Scroll down to Oct 13.

http://www.900chml.com/Station/BillKellyShow/Audio.aspx

Enjoyed the interview with the coach...Thank you, Captain...