Porter is the present too!

Thank you for your time. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Seriously, I have argued this in other threads. The best way to keep a quarterbacking controversy from happening is not to start one!

Oski Wee Wee,

Agreed. If healthy, Porter should start every game. This is not to say that Glenn or Tafralis cant sub into the game if he struggles, but the only way he will improve is by learning from his mistakes. Have some faith in the guy folks, he's the real deal!

Agreed.

Absolutely, this kid's gunna be a dynamite QB.

Sure will...but you gotta let him grow....

I'm not sure if the punishment he took last week was because of poor protection, inability to find a receiver or both. In either case, you will never be able to find out how good he really is unless you give him time to throw and find some receivers who can play....Prechae is OK....but the rest are not really that great.

If things keep up this way, he is going to get killed week after week and all that potential, the arm the size, the running ability is going to get flushed down the toilet.

He's the present as long as he stops playing like Rob Johnson..

I thought Kevin Eakin was our present? or was it Timmy Chang? or wasn't it Richie Williams?

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7726]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7726[/url]

From a leaky Boatman supporter.

Too much emphasis is placed on the QB position. He gets too much credit when the team wins and too much blame when the team loses.

Porter is a good kid with talent, though still quite raw. He isn't the problem here. Hamilton's offense needs to get more creative and execute more effectively or it won't matter a damn which QB is watching the snap sail over his head.

I actually thought he looked alright last week. A bit jittery and hurried up a few plays that he didn't need too (...a couple of his rushes he didn't really let the play develop, and that INT in the endzone). But, overall I thought he showed some decent stuff.

I assume he's not calling the plays, so I won't blame him for the bunch of 4 yard dump passes on 2nd and long. That irritated me. His life would get a lot easier if he stretched the D out a bit early on. At least make it look like our offence would consider the deep ball.

Edit -- ohhh, and shoddy snaps by a seasoned veteran didn't help his stats or his health and safety.

Agreed. He's got talent. IMO his biggest issue right now is learning how to check down effectively. Either he takes off with the ball or he is still trying to find his 2nd or 3rd read as he's sacked.

I assume he's not calling the plays, so I won't blame him for the bunch of 4 yard dump passes on 2nd and long. That irritated me. His life would get a lot easier if he stretched the D out a bit early on. At least make it look like our offence would consider the deep ball.
He's not calling his own plays. To my knowledge, no CFL QB is calling his own plays right now. Calvillo was the last person to do it consistently and he hasn't done it since the Don Matthews era. I too hate the dink and dump stuff on second and long, but the ultimate solution to the problem is to improve first-down production. The more frequently you can put Porter into second and medium or second and short, the better chance he has of converting.

What if the team goes 0-6 with Porter? The pressure will really be on Marcel to make a switch.

If Porter can get some wins before Labour Day, he'll probably remain the starter for the rest of the season.

If we are 0-6 with Porter, then I say Marcel is gone.
He will not be there to make the switch.
We need to be at least .500 going into Labour Day.
Anything less than that will worry me.
But the key point is this, folks:
We don't need to get hung up on wins, just yet. They will come with time.
All I want is that we stay 'competative'.
Being down 20-0 after the 1st Quarter is not what I am dreaming about.
We need to avoid this ASAP, or it's going to be a VERY long season.....

:thup: :thup: :thup:

What if the team goes 0-6 with Glenn after benching Porter? The pressure will really be on Marcel to make up his mind. <<<< How does that grab you?

A revolving door would be nice, but this franchise seems to prefer revolving trapdoors. Every season, it's a long way down. LOL

When Porter's play costs the Cats games, this will be an issue. I seriously think there are more pressing issues re the offense than #12, frankly.

If the team cannot run the proper pass protections to compete consistently at the pro level, Porter will get hurt, let alone be ineffective IMHO.

Oski Wee Wee,

He's Rob Johnson as long as our Urban Meyer runs his spread offense like Oscar Mayer. :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,

Catbird seat. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oski Wee Wee,

Just wanted to say a few things about Porter from last night's game. I was most impressed with his composure. I thought he played well but not great. And that is fine. He did not try to shoulder all the responsibility of winning the game, which is a good thing. I felt he was too conservative at times especially toward the end of the game when we really needed a few first downs. If it were not for the interception at the end of the game we were probably looking at another loss.
So he played well enough to win and gained some important experience that is priceless. I believe he has earned the respect of the players and that shows in how hard they play for him. He still has a lot to learn but it's obvious that he is learning real quick. he certainly did not win that game for us. It was Cobb that won last night's game for us with 178 yards of offence, but Porter's composure in BC Place was all that was needed to steal an unexpected win.
If he continues to progress at this rate, I think we may be a lot better than anyone expected this year.

Equal time for this thread, no? LOL

Oski Wee Wee,

Ouch!

Really?

Please, no!