Poppies over blackout

Although I truly understand the intent of the “blackout,” for Sunday’s game and I am not totally clear on the military protocol, it is my intention to wear my poppy in remembrance on my chest.

After all I think that is the very least I can do while in attendance.

I hope the Ti-Cats are planning something but regardless I will be breaking the “blackout,” with my poppy.

All the official Remembrance Day ceremonies will have taken place throughout the country except interestingly in BC because of the 3 hour time difference.

As I say, I am not exactly sure about the protocolbut regardless, we will all be sitting and cheering on the Cats on Remembrance Day in the afternoon as they play a playoff game.(which I think we are going to win!)

However, as much as I love CFL football and the Tiger-Cats it is after all only a game, not a deadly war and that game which we will all thoroughly be a part of, was made possible in the much larger sense because others sacrificed. They fought, died or were injured in a “real,” war not a game, “battle.”

I believe their sacrifice was and is, dare I say it, incomparably more important and can be respectfully acknowledged in a simple way by wearing my poppy.

If you want to join me please do. If you do not that’s ok as well, they died for you to have that choice.

Rev.

Everyone should wear their poppy. The Blackout isn’t a hard rule anyway that everyone will follow. People will come with yellow/gold touques and jerseys. Small specks of red in a sea of mostly black will not affect the Cats chances of winning.

Well written Rev. I hope the team (in fact all four teams playing on Remembrance Day) do something like wearing a poppy sticker on their helmets. Football has a lot of similarities to actual warfare (other than the dying) and it would be very appropriate for the players to show their respect for those who gave their blood, toil and tears to enable us to be able to enjoy watching the game as free people.

Military protocol does not apply to civilians. I'll choose to wear the poppy over my heart, in the customary way.

People who want to follow the Royal Canadian Legion's guidance for poppy etiquette can find it here:
http://www.legion.ca/remembrance/the-poppy/how-to-wear-a-poppy

wow great hop more arewearing a poppy.

I assume the team would allow poppy vendors to set up inside the stadium?

Respectfully, not so sure about that.

Former CFL coach and WWII vet Marv Levy would like a word…

“Though he was known to use historical examples to inspire his teams, Levy corrected those who used war and combat metaphors to describe football games by telling them that he actually fought in a war and that football and war were in no way comparable.[1]Referring to the Super Bowl, he once said “This is not a must-win; World War II was a must-win””

It has long been our local tradition that poppies are worn only until after the conclusion of the cenotaph service, or, more accurately, until one arrives home after the service. Recognized exceptions are those who had served in the forces, or members of the family of a ‘fallen’ soldier.

So, I was quite surprised to read that the Legion policy is that this is a matter of personal choice, with some choosing to wear the poppy throughout the day on November 11th. Since that is the case, I believe that I too will wear my poppy at the game, as my travel time to the stadium will prevent me from attending our local cenotaph service. Personally, I feel a little red on our black clothing will make for a very suitable emblem marking the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice.

“We shall remember them”

Many opportunities to buy a poppy in front of the stadium this past game.

None inside, but on the South gate at least 6 or so offering poppy’s.

I’m pretty positive the black out wasn’t referring to the wearing of poppy’s.

As a friend of mine likes telling me every time i bring him to a cats game (happens less these days) Hilter used american football as a model for his military strategy and structure.

now he may have been talking out of his backside, but the similarities are there.

I’m gonna call BS on that one. Sorry, Espo’s friend.

His exact words may have been closer to "was fascinated by" and "took aspects from it" etc etc. but brevity wins over clarity sometimes

I've tried to start a tradition with my son (he's 5 now), that we go to Woodland Cemetery and walk through each row of markers, and then pause at 11:00. Which is usually marked by the flyby of the Lancaster. Eventually we make our way to the cenotaph, and we remove our poppies and leave them there after we pause for another minute or so.

The CFL has announced that the game will be stopping at 11pst - 2est for a moment of silence at Tim Hortons field.

I hope we aren’t running down the field for a TD at exactly 11am…

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1060560680774860800/lQGPJYGL_400x400.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTitSrcWsAI1kNF.png:large

Blitzkrieg was effective because Germany was the first nation to recognize the importance of tanks and how to use them (at full speed, massed up, racing ahead unsupported by other types of forces, then encircle and mop-up with air and ground troops).

I don’t know how that relates in any way to football. Now I’m going to be thinking about this for weeks.

I think this is a small, but immensely meaningful gesture. Kudos to the CFL and the teams. As to BC fans being upset with the timing of the game, all of us who ‘commute’ to the game are similarly affected. Besides, they have the luxury of PVR, we won’t.

Stark contrast to MTL players wandering around field during moment of silence at 2013 semi in guelph

That was the wind blowing them.