Popp vs Herb. Z, it's on!

According to Herb Z., Popp will no longer speak to the Gazette:

[url=http://communities.canada.com/montrealgazette/blogs/thesnap/archive/2008/01/16/we-wish-we-knew-the-answers-to-these-questions.aspx]http://communities.canada.com/montrealg ... tions.aspx[/url]

Herb Z. portrays himself as a victim. I find this funny. But, I also find it childish if Popp will not speak to the Gazette (Larry Smith was the editor for the Gazette, in between gigs for the Als).

What does this all mean? Is there a war between the Als and the Gazette? (The Als have not shut out the french press, so far)... In his article, Herb Z. stated that Smith was on vacation for a month, that Wettenhall spends his winters in Florida, and that coach Trestmann is not in Montreal.

In his next column (Herb Z.), he states that Tretstmann is in Montreal and that he (and Popp) interviewed Tim Burke, and that Trestmann wants Burke.

OK Herb, how can Trestmann be awol one day, and he can interview Burke in Montreal the following day???

I am starting to beleive RO, that Herb is full of shiat. He is very close to the Als, but he spins everything so negatively... I also beleive that Popp is a great GM and a good guy (not a good coach), but if provoked, the media makes him look much worse than he really is...

It is time for the gazette and larry to sort out their problems...

I dont have any problem with Popp not talking to the Gazette, Herb or even Jack Todd for that matter.

The Don refused to talk to them, why shouldn't Popp.

Herb always has some sort of prediction and if he is right, its I told you so, If he is wrong you never hear about it.

Todd was always complaining that The Don would not talk to reporters, not for his sake, but for everyone else's.....SUUUUUUURE
He was always changing the subject and asking questions that had nothing to do with that particular press conference.

The Als could shut out the Gazette all-together and it would be no lose to the fans because they give very little coverage in the first place

Its just another reason why I have no respect for the media whatsoever

I think the Gazette should use this opportunity to put someone else in charge of following the Als.

You can't expect Popp to want to have anything tod do with Herb after the almost daily negative articles writen by Herb last season. I did however enjoy Jack Todd's piece on Larry Smith a few weeks ago. It was time it be said.

Love him or hate him, Herb is about the only journalist that gets us news about the Al’s and covers the “beat” regularly.

Who knew that Perrett signed an extension, before his article went out ?

He told us before the Al’s did that Cox signed a new contract.

I personally don’t care about his little “war” with the Al’s…as long as he “feeds” my Al’s addiction during the season & in the off-season…

But X, how much news could the Gazette give us if the team had confidence the paper wasn't going to sling dirt on every piece of information.

Look at Herb Z.'s recent stuff on the new coaching hires. He can't deliver the news without throwing in his opinion that hiring coaches off losing teams is bad.

First, his opinion isn't news--facts are. Second, if you should only hire coaches off winning teams, there would never be a coach hired with head coaching experience in the league because those guys are on the market because of losing seasons. Oh, and by the way, he's critical of hiring a coach without head coaching experience in the league, too. You can't have it both ways!

The English media up there drives me nuts because they rag on everything the team does. They run coaches off with their attitudes, then they criticize the team for not keeping its coaches.

Every once and a while, I'd like to read a little praise for the efforts of the organization and its players. They deserve that, and so do we.

But X, how much news could the Gazette give us if the team had confidence the paper wasn't going to sling dirt on every piece of information.

Look at Herb Z.'s recent stuff on the new coaching hires. He can't deliver the news without throwing in his opinion that hiring coaches off losing teams is bad.

First, his opinion isn't news--facts are. Second, if you should only hire coaches off winning teams, there would never be a coach hired with head coaching experience in the league because those guys are on the market because of losing seasons. Oh, and by the way, he's critical of hiring a coach without head coaching experience in the league, too. You can't have it both ways!

The English media up there drives me nuts because they rag on everything the team does. They run coaches off with their attitudes, then they criticize the team for not keeping its coaches.

Every once and a while, I'd like to read a little praise for the efforts of the organization and its players. They deserve that, and so do we as fans.

Every once and a while, I'd like to read a little praise for the efforts of the organization and its players. They deserve that, and so do we as fans.

Holy Sh...Jake I think your refresh key is stuck LOL!

I think its funny that Herb is crying that Popp won't have anything to do with him. If he thinks Smith will help him. I guess he dosen't understand that you can't FORCE an employee to talk with the media. I guess he'll have to get aquainted with Louis-Phillipe Dorais LOL!

I have a feeling he won't have better luck with Trestman after his recent litter box liner...

JB
I was going to say
"WE HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME! :lol:

I agree with what you are saying except for the English media part. IMO the French media is far far worst.

I agree about Herb. He shows the team no respect and he wants respect in return. Why should the Als give him any news? He is supposed to report what he is told in an unbiased fashion but he doesn't, He knocks the team, coaches and management when ever he can.

Personally I don't give a rats..... about Herps opinion. I dont buy the paper to read the oponion of the writer. I buy it because I want to read Smiths Popps and now Trestman's opinion.
Newspapers have become personal blogs for the writer. They dont care about facts and will say anything.
I have no respect for them what so ever any more.

Here is a thread I posted in the off topic section a year ago....It is not football related but it really shows what the Canadian media is all about

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=14293&highlight=i+hate+media]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpB ... hate+media[/url]

I read your blog, Ro, and, as a working journalist, I feel compelled to reply.
It pains me to say this, but you are correct. In these days of multi-media and 24-hour TV news network sensationalism, every outlet feels they have to find "a new angle."
For the small community newspaper I currently work at, I have found, though, that low-keyed substantiative reporting may not titillate those browsing the paper. It does, however, make me a relatively respected voice to those who are actually interested in the topics I write about. (Not like in my youth when I wanted to be the next Woodward and Bernstein and "blow the lid" off everyone and everything).
That said, I should also point out that sports writing, as opposed to general news reporting, involves more critical analysis.
Therefore, while I may not agree with everything Herb Z. writes, I do have a certain empathy with what he's trying to do.

Fine but there is a difference between being critical and being an ass.
Look at last year when The Don retired.
Herb wrote that the Don did not retire he was fired. Even after Smith and Popp both publicly said that he left on his own free will.

Now maybe he was fired but they agreed to announce retirement to allow the winningest coach in CFL History to end his career with dignity and Herb did know! Who is Herb to report it? What gives him the right to try to ruin The Dons rep?

Now if its not true and he did retire. What gives him the right to print lies?

The fact of the matter is that Herb never liked him and used his position as a sports writer to get back at him, in which ever case is true.

:roll: bending to media pressure last year and firing Sir James, was spineless and damaging to your corporation’s rep. The Gazette has lost me! You need a new Prez more than a new coach! Why don’t we show some appreciation for Sir James’ maturity and grace, and openly restore his credit…here are some business facts;

Having the authorization and responsibility to hire/fire coaches, players and other supporting teams (Coach and Manager Hats)..then to sign off financially on their budget, (VP Hat), poses too many opportunities for even the suspicion of unethical management. This city could have learned a lesson in business ethics, why not explain that to our world, rather than trash a great man?

If I have missed this admission somewhere, I apologize. R

I can't say I agree with Herb too often. I can't stand the writers for the Gazette. Todd, Herb, Hickey. They contradict themselves so often. I love how Jack Todd calls Montreal sport fans bandwaggon jumpers, which is true, but when he says for example "AC is done" 1 week, then when Anthony Calvillo lights it up a few weeks later he says "Everyone is back on the bandwaggon now, no one ever had faith in him, etc"

That's why the Als need to keep providing content on their website. We suggested they start profiling and doing player interviews and they are. Now is they promoted the site somehow through contests and other things to raise traffic. They would make these pseudo experts almost irelevent.

Frack! Herb

I believe Herb Z does a great job of reporting the news of the Als. Secondly he is expected to give his opinion on the Als- just as we all use this site to do so.Thirdly, Herb Z is expected to give his criticism on the Als functioning of the Als. He has a sound base to which is based his critique. He knows football and, has good sources to find out the inner workings of the Als. This was illustrated last season as he received the views of the players re the Popp deal. Herb Z is a great sports writer!!

I have no problem with him giving his opinion, its when he protrayes that OPINION as fact that I have a problem with.

Case in point.
The Dons retiring.
Utill either he(The Don) or the Als report it as such....he has no buisness reporting it as such!!!!!

Here are examples of Herb's BS...and really its a mild sample since most of his vitriol and most of his nastyness was displayed during last season. I guess we have different tastes.

Feb 16th. 2008
Jim Popp's having difficulty giving away owner Robert Wetenhall's money.

Jan 15th. 2008
Popp does flip-flop in sideline search

Feb 11th. 2008
We're not sure whether general manager Jim Popp was asleep at the switch on this one – since he no longer talks to The Gazette

Feb 6th. 2008
General manager Jim Popp, who has decided to no longer talk to The Gazette, is on a fishing expedition for now, attempting to discover what is available, league-wide. And perhaps he feels the need to show some activity in order to save his job.

It'll be interesting to see what, if any bites, Popp comes up with, since he always has been determined to win any and all trades hands-down, and has always been reluctant to part with his own players.

Jan 28th. 2008
And we're sure it's merely a coincidence this latest series of announcements were made late on a Saturday afternoon. In January. No wonder this organization receives little exposure during the off-season.

Jan 23rd. 2008
Mark (sic) Trestman

Yes, that's correct. The media-relations department failed to correctly spell the name of the team's future head coach. If only they knew.

Jan 19th. 2008

General manager Jim Popp continues refusing to talk to The Gazette, while president Larry Smith is away on vacation. But the Als have a long-standing tradition of spending money like drunken sailors.

Jan 16th. 2008

That's unfortunate. All he's doing is denying the Als organization some much-needed publicity following the recent hiring of rookie CFL head coach Marc Trestman. And, by doing so, he's denying readers of The Gazette access to information.

Als president Larry Smith probably wouldn't be happy knowing this, but he's on vacation for the next month. And owner Robert Wetenhall spends most of his winter in Florida

December 18th. 2008
Trestman a bad choice
We said it last Saturday and we'll say it again. And we'll continue saying it until proven otherwise. And we don't know how many different ways to say it: You don't hire a head coach.

And, while it indicates Popp's presence remains in effect, after it was thought he would be reduced to nothing more than a glorified personnel director, it also puts him directly in the crosshairs.

It was on Popp's recommendation Trestman was interviewed. Popp likely had a significant input in his hiring. Should Trestman fail, Popp's head will be the first to roll.

Especially if Popp doesn't go out and find some players for him this winter.

November 30th. 2007If the organization worred as much about its on-field product as it does about "scooping" the Montreal media, perhaps it wouldn't have gone 8-10 this season. And perhaps it would have won more than one Grey Cup since 1996.