Popp, head coach

That sucks and I am not even a als fan. If I were I would be pissed right off.

I am a true and long Alouettes fan and I am quite happy. Quite important to make a quick decision. If the team fails or sucks, one person will get the blame and it will be Jim. I have great confidence in the future of the team.

Richard

It will come down to quarterbacking. If he can find one Wetenhall will look smart. If not the rot will continue. Happy to see they are returning their entire coaching staff and I hope they turn down any outiside "requests" to talk to their staff. We need the stability.

Now go sign Trevor Harris.

Je suis un peu déçu que Popp ait reçu cet endossement en tant qu'entraîneur-chef, mais il faudra bien composer avec ça. À mon sens, cette saison rocambolesque commandait au moins que Popp se consacre tout entier à la reconstruction de l'équipe, surtout que les Alouettes ne traîneront pas le salaire de Hawkins l'an prochain.

La stabilité, c'est bien beau, mais la stabilité dans la médiocrité, ce l'est pas mal moins. Les Alouettes ont besoin de rebondir la saison prochaine, et on sait tous qu'ils ne seront pas à la Coupe Grey encore une fois. L'annonce du retour du personnel d'entraîneur semble une bonne nouvelle, mais à ce stade-ci de l'entre-saisons, ça ne veut rien dire. On se souviendra d'une telle annonce tôt après la fin de la saison pour finalement voir du mouvement dans le personnel d'entraîneurs par la suite. J'espère seulement qu'on ne perdra pas Thorpe ou Reed pour une autre équipe comme entraîneur-chef. Les Alouettes ont suffisamment souffert du pillage de 2012.

Comme le dit notre ami HfxTC, la clé demeurera le poste de quart-arrière. Cependant, j'ajouterais que la progression de Calviddie sera aussi névralgique que l'amélioration de la brigade de quarts. Si ces deux-là donnent le même rendement que cette année, même dans les parties récentes, les Alouettes n'iront pas beaucoup plus loin que cette saison. Dernier à 6-12 ou dernier à 9-9, c'est dernier quand même.

So how exactly is recruitment going to get better with Popp, whose health is now in question, wearing both the GM and HC hats? :thdn: :thdn:

The only bright side here is that Calvillo did a pretty good job of calling plays, all things considered, in the back half of the season. So there's something to build on there. And Calvillo's probably the only person who would be comfortable working in this absurd environment under Popp and Wetenhall. So ... yay? Ugh.

I`m all for stability, but I think stability could have been maintained with Thorpe as Head Coach and Popp as GM only, scouting and recruiting players in a much more competitive CFL. Tough for anybody today to do the 2 jobs.

I will mumble and grumble for a couple of days, but as a fan I will have to accept the status quo and hope for the best.

As HfxTC says, QB will be key - Trevor Harris ?, Travis Lulay ?, with Glenn as safety valve, and the development of a Bridge, Cato, or Boyd.

And LeStaf, I have to respectfully disagree about Calvillo/Dinwiddie. I think that since Glenn came on board and even on Sunday with Bridge, play calling has improved.

Bad idea, really really bad idea. Players need a coach that they respect. Popp isnt the man and still has these ridiculous delusions that he can coach. Even with talent laden teams, Popp could never get it done! OMG he will need huge support at every assistant position!!

I am a true and long Alouettes fan and I am quite happy. Quite important to make a quick decision. If the team fails or sucks, one person will get the blame and it will be Jim. I have great confidence in the future of the team.

Richard

Glad you do.

Losing record as a HC.

I do not share the same enthusiasm.

Only the Als keep a HC who has a losing record.

Anywhere else, Popp would be searching for a new job.