Popp goes "pop" at Montreal Players

TSN is reporting...

Jim Popp " in a closed door meeting" with the Montreal Players has gone way-over-the-top in a verbal bashing
to the Team.
Carter..one of the Players that have spoken out against what was said, commented that 10 years ago..he could get away with that, but not now...
As a long time Cat Fan, I do hate Montreal almost as much as the Argo's.
But one does have to feel bad for the Montreal Fan Base.
The Popp Horror Show continue's with no intervention by the owner.
This guy can not Coach..period, and never could.
And even his GM abilities over the last several years..is very suspect.
Yet he still remains the " I want to be everything " in Montreal.
One would think that if he had any class at all..he would look in the mirror and cast the blame were it belongs.
On himself :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: x 3

That demonstrates how out of control Popp's ego is.

Nothing that is wrong is his fault.

Yet, he hires the players and is the head coach, who oversees the battle plan and the preparation.

How dysfunctional.

This article goes way deeper into it

[b][i]EDMONTON — The effect of yet another losing season — at least through one-third of the schedule — appears to have taken its toll on Jim Popp, who delivered an explosive and, at times, insensitive yet troubling tirade to and against his players last Sunday.

Numerous sources have told the Montreal Gazette the Alouettes’ general manager and head coach threatened sweeping changes while addressing the team at Olympic Stadium.

Popp threatened the players, starting with his offensive-lineman, stating they run the risk of being replaced by rookies earning minimum salary. But he then brought the rest of the team into focus, suggesting no player was irreplaceable while serving notice their play must improve or they risk unemployment.[/i][/b]

“He’s free to say whatever he feels will bring this team together,? said safety Marc-Olivier Brouillette, the Als’ player representative. “It may not have been the best post-football career option to use as an example, but it is what it is.?

“The damage is done. How does he survive this?? said one longtime CFL executive. “No matter how bad it gets, you can’t say that.?

“The room’s hanging on by a thread. Sunday’s speech, combined with this travel schedule and bull—- stadium walkthrough ain’t helping his cause,? another player texted. “It could get ugly if it goes bad tomorrow.?

[b][i]Several sources have told the Montreal Gazette veteran defensive-back Billy Parker challenged and took offence with some of Popp’s comments, especially how they would be perceived by a segment of the dressing room who have families. Popp immediately apologized and explained what he meant. Popp then asked the players if they understood the tone and were able to move on. The players remained silent.

“Everybody says things and does things when they’re emotional. I do,? receiver Duron Carter said. “It just happens to be 2016, when you can’t say stuff like that. If this was 10 years ago, I guess this wouldn’t be a problem. For me, it didn’t really mean too much.[/i][/b]

“After a comment like that you would think there would have to be some type of … something. It happened. I’m sure time will tell as we go on.?

[url=http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/jim-popp-tore-into-alouettes-players-after-loss-sources]http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... ss-sources[/url]

So, I'm not sure what Popp said that was so bad. Anyone know?

And what is with this:

“Everybody says things and does things when they’re emotional. I do,? receiver Duron Carter said. “It just happens to be 2016, when you can’t say stuff like that. If this was 10 years ago, I guess this wouldn’t be a problem.
From the story, it sounds like all Popp said was "do your job or we will get someone in here who can." All employers say things like that to under-performing staff. I hear that just about once a week. Why, "because its 2016" can he not say that now?

Sounds like PC BS to me.

Very very interesting, Popp might have just lost the room entirely. If the Als get smacked tonight it's going to be a very interesting next week in Montreal.

I remember a story from a few years back, when Obie was the Hamilton GM...

It was the CFL draft, and Popp and Obie had come to a deal to trade a Montreal starting WR (the name escapes me ATM) straight up for Hamilton's first overall pick. Then moments before, Popp called Obie demanding more players, and I even think money.

Needless to say, Obie told him off and there was no deal. I believe we drafted Barker, so it was 2008. It just goes to show you how bad Popp was years ago, and is getting worse.

I mean really... who the hell tries to strong arm Obie?

Loving every minute of this meltdown.
Looks good on them.

If you have the time and inclination, go over and read a few of the threads and posts on the Alouette chat forum. Seems like a lot of their fans are down on the owner (Wisenhall or something?), the staff, and especially Popp. Calling for wholesale changes, from ownership on down, with a lot of the venom directed at Popp.

Guess he felt he had to do something to fire up the troops, and I can't see Edmonton going 4 losses in a row! Not without one heck of a scrap.

You would think in this heat Popp would have been to pooped to pop......F!@#$ :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Popp should have cut Billy Parker the second Parker challenged Popp in the dressing room in front of the whole team. By apologizing to Parker in front of the team, Popp showed he is soft, and that the players can walk all over him. I'm sure not one player in that room fears or respects Popp any more.

Before this season started, Popp should have just remained GM, and let Thorpe take over as HC. The defensive players at least seem to respect Thorpe, and it seems that the Alouette defensive players run the show there.

I have no sympathy for their fans whatsoever....they certainly showed us none from 2002-2010.

Hmmm do you suppose some O linemen will come on line cheap?

No, from the rumbling that has ensued, it sounds like Popp said something specifically demeaning that crossed the line. If he had merely made a general comment to the effect you are suggesting, he wouldn't have been so vague when reporters asked him about it.

That said, I hope Popp remains coach and GM in Montreal for the next 40 years.

only my speculation but reading between the lines using the Carter statement that this might have been ok years ago I am guessing that Popp used some terms in his speech that were not politically correct.
perhaps questioning the manhood of players by using an inappropriate reference was a part of this.
Just a guess mind you.

He suggested that some would have to go back to the hood and resort to crime to support their families !

HFxTC - if true, this is a situation that should immediately be brought to the attention of both the CFLPA and the League, as it goes WAY over the line...

Why would we want any of them?? Most are young and have little experience. And I don’t think any of them are more talented than the ones the team already has on the roster.

I have a feeling Bomben is very thankful these days that Austin traded his first round pick for him last season! Who’d want to be playing for a team that is such a mess?? :roll:

According to RDS - that is what the hearsay is that he said.

[url=http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/jim-popp-en-eau-trouble-1.3503219?localLinksEnabled=false]http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/ji ... bled=false[/url]
Mais s’il est vrai qu'en plus, Jim Popp a été jusqu'à dire que les joueurs retranchés n'auraient qu'à retourner chez eux dans leurs patelins respectifs et de faire un « travail illicite » alors là, je peux vous dire qu'il a assurément, à ce moment précis, perdu son vestiaire .

S’en prendre personnellement à des joueurs devant les autres n’est jamais une bonne idée, mais remettre en doute leur possibilité de faire un travail digne et surtout légal après leur carrière de footballeur est carrément inapproprié et déplorable.

Google translate
But if it is true that, in addition , Jim Popp was to say that the players cut would only have to return home in their burgs and make an "illegal work" while there, I can say it assuredly at that moment , lost his locker .

Attacking personally to the players in front of others is never a good idea, but calling into doubt their ability to do a job worthy and above legal after their football career is totally inappropriate and deplorable.

tabbiefanmcb: Sorry I didnt make myself clear there. Any pieces we could get cheap would be used as backups, or maybe hidden as per 'Regina Rules'.
And I wasnt really serious anyway

Really??

No wonder the players got steamed. I would too if my boss said that to me.

Oh, yeah that would rally the troops…to mutiny!!!