Poor player evaluation

If the Cats miss the play offs it will be soley on the coaching staffs inability to assess the players capabilities. Quinton Porter will be a great QB down the road. However, at this point it is not a great idea to develope a QB when we need to win games. I question why we have stuck with Chris Bauman when his play is questionable at the best. Corey Grant still has alot in the tank. I question why a team would bring in 5 players with 4 games remaining in the season and not put them in the line up. I question why you would keep a player from training camp and cut him with 4 games remaining (Albert Toinea). Nice developement scheme.

I question why our play calling has been vanilia at the very best. I question why other teams can call a miss direction play and screans and we play a grade 9 game plan. I question why Adams and McIntyre were ready to play 2 weeks ago and we have stuck with Hickman and Long. I question why our kick return game has never improved. I question why our kicking game has cost the team at least 2 wins and the kicker was never challenged. Your thoughts.................

I dont know about Grant, seeing him up close he doesnt look like he's built to take any amount of pounding at all. I doubt he'd stay healthy if he was a starter.

NOW those are neat questions, pod'na

lets split into two categories players and management

players:
QP- cant argue
Baumann- cant argue
Corey grant - cant argue
toniea - with the development of young canadians we can find a better fit with a non import and we have to plan for the future...
kicking game sadly have to agree...something is wrong with nick... but i wont throw this baby out with the bath water...have you seen his hustle..he has more heart than half the kick coverage team

Adams and McIntyre vs Hickman and Long
at first blush cant argue but then I have to think of the intangibles...how seriously hurt are these guys and what does their playing contract call for...ie minimum/maximum number of games to realise best salary outcome under the cap for the team... cruel business sports but a business nontheless

NOW as Management

ie --- play calling BOY ARE YOU ON THE MONEY...our running game is as predictable as the Leafs finish this year ( BTW the leafs suck more than the Argos and for a variety of reasons all surrounding greed----which trumps incompetent coaching anytime)

Much as the little guy is a favourite of mine,,, Im going to really mouth a heresy that will get a dozen nasty retorts on the blogs..Bench Cobb.. his blocking is weak. Just one game mind you, but do it and give the ball to Terry Cauley.
AND NOW I FIND CAULLEY IS INJURED!!!!!????

Gosh gall darn, Bat Man! Whats happening to our backs...Kenton Keith (out) Caulley (out) Tre Smith (out) and they havent even been IN... Do I smell option years in contracts? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

there. nuff said...let the games begin! :cowboy: .

The curse of Jesse Lumsden lives on :? :?

Somebody in Tiger Town made a poor player evaluation keeping Bauman over Chris Getzlaf.

Re: your question, armchair.

why would we bring in 5 players with 4 games remaining in the season

and not put them in the line up?

To put this in context, the latest guy in town is a kick/punt returner.

We might think that since kick/punt returning is his specialty
that we could throw him back there right away, no problem.

Obie said that he will not play in Montreal tomorrow

because he's only had 3 practices to get familiar with our schemes
and since next week is a short week he may not dress in Toronto.

All the new players, regardless of how talented they are
get the same careful preparation while they are assessed.

It may seem that other teams don't do that
but that may just be an untrue perception.

It's not like the NFL airlift of old when players were thrown in.

Some of these players who come available
may have been on Obie's negotiating list

and Obie and Marcel mainly want to see if
they are worth inviting to Training Camp.

Players can definitely get more fully evaluated at
a full Training Camp and a couple exhibition games.

Only one guy who came here after the final NFL cuts last year
was still here after the expanded practice roster period was over

and he didn't stick after training Camp this year. Sasha Lancaster.

Ron,
No offence but our schemes are not that complicated. Three things the kick return guy needs to be aware of, (1) when to give up a single point (2) hit the hole hard and run forward (3) run like blases becuase there will be no blocking. At the very least put the new punt return guy in. Give us something to cheer about. I still honestly believe our level of talent is far behind other teams. I certainly hope Obie has not lost his touch - only time will tell.

Or, we were desperate for receivers, so we picked up a guy who could contribute immediately(Bauman) while trading Getzlaf because we needed roster space. The Riders allowed Getzlaf to sit and develop and he is good today. Bauman got thrown in raw, and hasnt adjusted really. If we had traded Bauman instead of Getzlaf, you would be saying we made a mistake keeping Getzlaf instead of Bauman.

Forgive me but this is just "panic button" blah blah that is based on the hindsight of the last few games in which the Ti-Cats have slumped.

It's still quite possible for the Ti-Cats to host AND WIN a home playoff game.

That would be quite a successful season.

Just to be in the playoff race at this point of the season is a nice change. It's goona be fun to not only follow The Ti-Cats' progress, but also the progress of the Blue Bombers and Eskimos too.

The problem in Hamilton has been the inability to develop players, part of that is turnover and part lack of resources and focus.

As far as missing the playoff. If you blame the coaching you got to blame the management as well. Obilovich picked them and is in charge of providing the talent.

I just don't understand what happened, things collapse when the boys went to Montreal and they never recovered. Until then I was sure this team was going to be a spoiler as the season progressed.

Edit...

Obie
No offence but our schemes are not that complicated. Three things the kick return guy needs to be aware of, (1) when to give up a single point (2) hit the hole hard and run forward (3) run like blases becuase there will be no blocking. At the very least put the new punt return guy in. Give us something to cheer about. I still honestly believe our level of talent is far behind other teams.
I certainly hope you have not lost your touch - only time will tell.

Your comment should be addressed to Obie, you disagrees wth him, not me.

Why would I feel offended,armchair? I am just splainin' the facts, man. :smiley:

P.S.

I would say Obie is right in touch with today's game.

It doesn't matter if Obie is copying Wally Buono's system
of developing players in a slow step by step fashion

but the two of them have been consistently successful
developing players in B.C. and before that in Calgary.

Example:

Jamall Johnson developed on Wally's special teams in B.C. for 2 years,
then 9 starts and 12 starts on defence then 17 starts with us
a
Now he is all star material

Think of all the QBs they developed in B.C. and Calgary

8) Sasha Lancaster didn't even attend training camp this year Ron.
He was released by the Cats about 2 months before camp, during the off season.    <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

It's pretty yough to develop a player when he's constantly looking over his shoulder at guys the Mngmnt are bringing in.Or inserting a basic rookie QB that is still a little green. Have we learned nothing from the styles of the succesful organizations like the Als the green riders or maybe not this year but the Esks.
Wholesale changes every year or the revolving door game to game personel turnover.
No apparent reason to cut our leading reciever earlier this year and then tinker with some "speedy recievers" for the rest of the seaon. Am I missing something here.