Poll: Worst owner in the CFL

[i]That's right. The worst owner in the CFL.

Vote early, and vote Bob Wetenhall! :rockin: [/i]

A much more fun poll would be 'worst owners in CFL history'. Just think of the potential options! Even in relatively recent history you've got Horn Chen, the Glibermans, Michael Feterik, much of Braley's tenure in Toronto, and Sherwood Schwarz.

don’t forget Nelson Skalbania who decimated the once proud Alouettes franchise after just one season as owner
and remarking “It’s not like I raped a nun.” after being criticized for folding the team in 1982.

what a piece of work he was.

I don't know if 1982 qualifies as relatively recent, but for all time worst CFL owners he is a serious contender to win it all. :thup:

None of them.

[i]True, but those owners were always crap! They were never any good.

Wetenhall for a long time was a great owner. The Alouettes were a model franchise. It makes the downward spiral the team has been on in the last 4 years even more shocking and unacceptable.[/i]

The problem in Montreal is NOT the owner - - it's the incompetent clown pretending to be a HC & GM.

Has Wetenhall refused to spend money on the team? Has Wetenhall been meddling with football operations? No and no. That's exactly what you want from an owner - - a guy who just keeps the money coming and stays out of the way.

Montreal was a "model franchise" because they had the league's best QB and the league's best coach. Wetenhall did the same during the Calvillo/Trestman years as he's doing right now.

You've got to rid yourself of Popp before anything's going to turn around in Montreal. They guy has absolutely ZERO clue what he's doing. Got his start in football thanks to Daddy, and then rode the coattails of Calvillo and Trestmen.

It's unbelievable to think the Colts actually considered giving this guy their GM job. He would have challenged Matt Millen for all time worst GM in NFL history.

Clearly he has meddled with football operations on some level, as he forced Higgins in there despite Popp's objection. He also pushed Popp into doing both roles to recoup some of the money lost to severance for coaches, so yes....he does in fact avoid spending at times.

All that said...still solid ownership.

Mr. Wet might be the worst current owner, but Horn Chen is the worst ever. No contest. Possibly the most absent and neglectful owner in pro sports history.

I think many a BC fans would argue they are in contention for worst present owner.

How could he let Popp handle the hiring after the unmitigated disaster with Dan Hawkins and Mike Miller? That was a complete fail by Popp.

Horn & The Skalbaniac - it would be hard to find anyone worse - although the father and son act that went on a mad ego-ride after buying the Ottawa franchise would give both nutbars a run for their money.
One of the best owners was that Fred something from the USA who kept pouring coin into a losing down-south proposition. That guy I have a lot of time for.
Wettenhall prolly has a Doomsday number before he pulls his credit card in Montreal - their last crowd was a season high 19,400 - and that was for Ben Cahoon nite. I suspect he'll pull away when the red figure hits about 4 or 5 million.

Exactly! He couldn't! But he didn't know many other CFL GMs that were floating around and available for hire. (ie. the franchise would fold in days if heaven forbid Wetenhall got the wool pulled over his eyes and hired buffoons like Lyle Bauer and/or Brendan Taman. . . . or he went totally mad and put Eric 'Beltman' Tilman in charge!

Title edited. Stop trying to beat the board censors. They're in place for a reason.

A point of clarification: Wetenhall was an active part of the committee that wound up hiring Dan Hawkins. He also hired Tom Higgins over Popp's head, without his approval, decided to fire Higgins on his own, and asked Popp multiple times to serve as interim HC (when Hawkins and Higgins were fired).

but...but...but he isn't involved in football operations????

He is absolutely (and unacceptably) involved in football operations, to the extent that I mentioned above. That's part of the problem that has bothered Als fans for years now.

I don't think Jim Popp has ever fired a head coach in Montreal. The decision has always been Wetenhall's, which was made explicit in the Higgins firing, which Wetenhall did on his own, without Popp's input, just as he hired Higgins without Popp's input. And his tendency, when things go south with the head coach, is to ask Popp to step in and be interim HC to save himself money. What good football man would want to get involved with this crazy structure?

I said it with sarcasm....I said the same thing earlier. I still think he is an overall good owner....just saying he is absolutely getting involved on some level with football operations and while he is putting appropriate funding in place he is still making iffy calls more based on money than product (Popp forced in as GM).

As far as Popp not firing a coach...pretty hard for him to when it was the owner who made the hire....you pretty much have to let them do it at that point.

Ah, sorry, I missed your earlier comment.

I still think he is an overall good owner....just saying he is absolutely getting involved on some level with football operations and while he is putting appropriate funding in place he is still making iffy calls more based on money than product (Popp forced in as GM).
He's been a good owner in the past, but right now the combination of him and Popp is toxic for the franchise. Another problem is the glacial pace at which he makes hires. By the time he decides to interview HC candidates, all the good people have already found jobs. Very little is done in a timely fashion and that hurts us too.
As far as Popp not firing a coach...pretty hard for him to when it was the owner who made the hire....you pretty much have to let them do it at that point.
Exactly, and that's a problem. What other GM doesn't have control of the HC hiring/firing process? It's a crazy, unsustainable situation.

What is the Calgary ownership like? I never hear anything good or bad about them ever.