Poll: Quarterbacks 2019

There are still 5 games left to play. Let’s nonetheless fast forward to training camp 2019.

Should the Als name a starter prior to camp? Or, should they let the QBs fight it out and earn the job?

Vote early and vote often! :stuck_out_tongue:

Johnny voted for a 3 way battle between Manziel, Shiltz and Pipkin.

All 3 are young and have shown some promise. If one of them is truly better than the other two, a full training camp should demonstrate it.

Will Manziel be at Training Camp?
He is due a large raise in 2019.

I was going to vote but Sonny Wade isn’t one of the options . ;D

Grover, where would he be if he wasn’t at training camp? I don’t understand what you are saying?

Ya never know , maybe Grover figures that he might just get a better offer from someone else . :slight_smile:

Unless he flops in the 5 remaining games, there is no reason for him not to be there.

I was looking for Carrol Williams as an option

He's too busy being a "Life Coach".

In the new upstart AAF
His raise in 2019 will be for Starters money($450K with all his bonuses) with a $75K bonus due on March 1st 2019

If he doesn’t show marked improvement over the last 5 games it will be tough to declare him the Starter for 2019.
He could be released, go with Pipkin and spend that money on other needs.

It was just a thought, I hope Manziel stays in the CFL, If he does, he will be the starter at TC

Well you could be right and certainly if he doesn’t do well that would increase the possibility. However, I believe he will continue to improve. I could see him signing an extension in Montreal if he does. I think he could be happy in Montreal.

If he does come back as the starter next season I would expect him to be in a lot better condition. This year he was just getting clean and didn’t even know he would be in the CFL until the season started. If he is the guy in Montreal next season I think things will be a lot different.

If he does come back as the starter next season I would expect him to be in a lot better condition. This year he was just getting clean and didn’t even know he would be in the CFL until the season started. If he is the guy in Montreal next season I think things will be a lot different.
I agree.

Johnny Manziel has to be the starter in 2019 if his contract terms remain as-is. Neither Antonio Pipkin nor Matt Shiltz will have deals anywhere near starter money. Als will try to renegotiate the Manziel deal to lower the off-season bonus in exchange forextending the length of the contract. I am doubtful that Manziel accepts that if he believes the AAF will still be around in 2020. And if the AAF is relatively stable after year 1, I suspect the XFL 2.0 will never play a game.

They get an off season bonus?

I have not participated in the poll. This is because until we get a major upgrade on the offensive line and improve our mediocre receiving corps, it’s not going to matter at all who plays quarterback.

Sam Etcheverry, Sonny Wade, and Anthony Calvillo would be unsuccessful with this squad as presently constituted.

Yes, all three should sort out the who at training camp.

Depends on each individual contract negotiated ... it offers players a guarantee (since CFL contracts can be cut at any time) and apparently for American players the use of such bonuses reduces taxes, allowing a team to pay less in total without the player getting less net.

It all depends on the rest of the season … if JM breaks through in the remaining games then his contract will make him the de facto starter entering next season … if not, then cut ties and find a third QB to enter the open competition … and if JM doesn’t break through I don’t see him wanting to be back.

Shiltz is not a legit starter.I don’t see Montreal bringing him back next year, even to be a #3.

Pipkin has potential…he should be kept, and developed.

Manziel should not be handed anything. If he doesn’t earn that big contract next year by finishing 2018 with a bang, I would ask him to renegotiate that contract.

I agree that if he is not guaranteed to be the starter in 2019,Manziel will either ask for a trade or his outright release from Montreal.

GHT120, Thank you for the explanation.