Poll: CBA, do you side with the players or owners?

I am taking sides with the FANS. And one thing this fan wants to see is minimum 2 yr. contracts so that we can have some player continuity, and not have to go through roller coaster rides every off-season during free agency.

And this fan also wants to maintain the 7 National starters in the Canadian Football League.

Unfortunately we do not have a seat at the bargaining table, let alone a vote.

Extremely well said.

I’m a fan of the CFL , I’m a fan of the Argonauts. Have been a fan of many, many different players since becoming a fan in the 1970’s.

My take is this, players come and players go. The CFL needs to remain strong as does each team/franchise.

The players should be treated fair, but not to the detriment of the league.

The league matters MOST, otherwise just like the AAF, lots of players with no place to play.

So, I’m on side with the owners

Wayne Gretzky left the NHL to retire and guess what, the NHL marched on and continues to march on quite well. I guess you know my thoughts on this.

Owners are the only reason the CFL or any pro league exists. Without owners, no pro sports, end of story, and the owners don’t need pro sports, they have made their money elsewhere and pro sports is basically a hobby for them.

I don’t know why pro athletes are making the huge bucks in the major leagues of pro sports come to think of it. Bill Gates is smart, he uses his talents and smarts and money for much better uses than pro sports.

need the 3rd option of the poll to be neither/both that would be my vote.

In sask, we have sports radio hosts that think the players are “winning” the PR battle because they are sharing with the media. What sharing, they come out and complain and let the media know their side.

I don’t need to hear complaints. Sask’s new LB comes out ranting about the league delaying for two weeks for League business, yet the CFLPA waited 3 months after the Grey Cup to start negotiations.

Just be quiet, negotiate and come out and announce a deal that hopefully adds some to the players (perhaps some increase in entry level wage and some improved benefits) and continued stability to the owners so the league can last another century.

(RIP USFL, WLAF/NFL Europe, UFL, AAFL, XFL1 and XFL2??)

I voted for the players, but there are so many things wrong with the league and sport that honestly I think a strike could give them time to rethink things through.

Don’t worry, Randy’s CFL 2.0 will fix everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I just hope teams aren’t forced to scout for global players.

They are already being forced to draft 'em, so I wouldn’t put it past Randy.

Maybe that’s what the Non-players cap was for ? Instead of spending it on coaches and personnel, there’s now more money to send Randy and some scouts on a worldwide tour. ;D

Sending scouts to Europe, Mexico, etc will be expensive. It would be better, and easier, to find ways to attract these players to come to Canada to play U Sports, CJFL, where the CFL can find them in its own backyard.

By all means include them in the ratio (someway), just don’t make them mandatory.

Sure the players deserve decent pay, what BTW is the minimum wage in Canada? I will say all CFL players deserve the minimum wage in Canada and if any team isn’t providing this, then a strike is in order for sure. There are university grads earning a minimum wage in some cases I wouldn’t doubt so this seems a bare minimum, couldn’t agree more.

The minimum wage in Canada will be:

June 1st 2019, hourly rate of $13.85. Yearly,based on 40 hours week: $28,808.
June 1st 2020: $14.60 and $30,368.
June 1st 2021: $15.20 and $31.616.

In 2018 the average salary for CFL players was roughly $98,000. Much more than the minimum Canadian wage. Not bad for 7 months.

In 2019, I am sure that the average salary for CFL players will be in excess of $100,000.

Richard

The minimum wage is under provincial control .

As low as Saskatchewan around 11.06 and as high as 15 for Alberta as of today .

Ontario is $ 14 .

Yes, each Province has it’s minimum wage rate,but there is Canadian rate for all institutions under Federal jurisdiction.

Richard

Federal employees I am … .

Surprised it’s that low.

Thought it would be higher .

Agree 100 percent.

Actual employees of the Federal Gov’t have collective agreements … the minimum wage applies to banks and the like that are subject to Federal regulation.

As you know Richard, average (mean) salary is not really a useful stat as it is inflated by the few big money contracts on each team … (HYPOTHETICALILLUSTRATIVEEXAMPLE: a 44 player team with a $500K QB, two $200K players, four $150K players and thirty-seven at $50K will show an “average salary” of $76K even though 84% of the players actually make $26K less )… the median salary (i.e., half of players above, half below) would far better reflect what the “average player” makes.

I know what average means,GHT120. Would be nice to talk about median salary,but unless you have all salaries, you can’t. We could exclude the highest paid players,but you can’t talk about average anymore. Unless we have a better measuring tool,I will always talk about average,knowing full well that many are above the average and many more under the average.

We hear/read/learn about average almost daily,i.e. average price of homes, average salaries if families,average liabilities and assets of Canadian,on and on.

Richard

My most sincere apologies … I underlined “you” because I absolutely knew you know the meaning of average … and anything else related to numbers … no offence intended.

I was going to write the post stating that it was directed at other posters but it sounded condescending.

Also forgot to say I tried to find info on the mean and it didn’t seem to be available.

Totally agree that “average” is the stat usually used in the media/etc. for almost anything numerical … just frustrating as it misrepresents things for the general population … can make things seem either better or worse, depending on how the data points are distributed.