Political Commentary

Ontario election last night had (by far) lowest turnout in history
Even worse nearly a quarter of those votes were made during advance polls or mail in ballots

Previously the Feds held an election in Sep which was jokingly called the election noone wanted.

It is a common narrative but seriously if people do not vote then WHY do they spend years online complaining about politics?

3 Likes

Because things don't ever change regardless of who's in government.

Just the way the political landscape wants it to be

2 Likes

I woke up this morning to find out that ex-CFLer Neil "Lumpy" Lumsden won in my riding and is the first PC to do so in a very long time . This riding ever since I can remember has always been for the most part represented by the NDP or Liberal party . As a matter of fact I honestly can't remember the last time (if ever) that a PC candidate has ever won this riding before .

1 Like

because the other two are such geniuses the leaders just quit.

2 Likes

Crazy stuff for sure .

1 Like

I've heard he's going to stop construction of the Confederation GO Station and instead have Tim Horton's Field moved to this location as soon as possible. :laughing:

Seriously though my biggest surprise is that Del Duca couldn't get the job done to even get near Horwath let alone Ford. He had to resign for sure. I thought Ford would win but with a minority and I would say that's directly on the Liberal mess-up of their campaign and leader.

I've got a big open field in my backyard , he can put it there if he wants . :laughing:

1 Like

Speaking about the stadium and where many here, including David Braley, thought it should have been built, at Confederation Park, well this site is now in a bit of a "pickle" shall we say although eventually the site will be used for sports at any rate. :grinning:

1 Like

If they bring a cooler of beers to the field and play ANYTHING, can they call it 'Pickled Ball"?

2 Likes

I think people not wanting change after/during Covid is part of the low turnout. Also, the FPTP system is not great for promoting voter turnout.

2 Likes

IMHO,
Until they find a secure way to vote over the phone or online,
Voter participation will get less and less.
If you are wondering? :thinking:
I vote and vote early in all Federal, Provincial and Civic elections. :canada:

3 Likes

Which of the bunch do you choose tho? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t live in Ontario and have no skin in this election, but I didn’t understand your comment about advance or mail in votes being worse. In fact the turnout would have been worse without them.

Mail in votes are an integral part of any voting system and increase voter turnout. I think it is presently more common in the US and it is my understanding that Colorado has had only mail in voting for a number of years. Despite the propaganda to the contrary, especially from the right, there is zero factual basis that this promotes election fraud. In fact every independent study everywhere has always found that the incidence of voter fraud is infinitesimal, no matter how the voting takes place. The only reason that some states are passing laws to make voting more difficult is because they believe it is to the advantage of their party, not because there is any logical reason for it.

It is not hard to predict that all voting will take place on line one day, probably pretty soon. That is the way the world is going. While some may still want to drive to a voting station in their horse and buggy, it won’t be possible. In fact on line voting will make election fraud even more difficult once they have the proper secure system in place. Most of the bullshit election fraud allegations aren’t about someone showing up in disguise and trying to vote twice, but rather about improper handling of ballot boxes and the addition/destruction of votes. That will no longer even be possible in theory once voting moves online. Remote voting of any kind also increases voter turnout and a purely online system would shave hundreds of millions of dollars in Canada alone off of the cost of a federal election. What’s not to like?

Again, I was wondering why you would object in the face of the actual facts. Perhaps you have other reasons for doing so that I am not aware of.

The Russian hackers would love it,
They would have a field day!

1 Like

They would try but it ultimately wouldn’t work.

3 Likes

The way I understood the comment was that the overall turnout was very low EVEN WITH 25% of the ballots cast by mail or early voting / advance polls.

When voter participation is so low even with such additional means, there are additional concerns.

@kav2001c

It is a common narrative but seriously if people do not vote then WHY do they spend years online complaining about politics?

I was in line with the same thinking a decade ago when a friend of mine, who engaged regularly and often with politics and became quite the junkie like so many any more, did not even vote either.

He lives in a rural area mind you, has a car and does not have to drive terribly far, and has zero excuse not to go vote especially after bringing up politics at every turn.

I don't even know if he ever has voted either. I decided later that I can only be so friendly with such folks.

1 Like

I took the comment differently but that is why I asked Kav if I was missing something or he has other reasons. Perhaps he meant something different.

I don't think Doug Ford uses anywhere near the amount of drugs his late brother Rob consumed.
Rob also far more aggressive & rambunctious in public forums.
Rob Ford was the Lord Lyle Bauer of Ontario Politics!

Horvath had four shots and needed to step aside ... Del Duca apparently has done a lot of good administratively to improve the party but was a political bust (I kept thinking of him as Del Luca); need to rebuild the political side of things with new blood and ideas.

1 Like

But they'll tell everybody it did work. :wink:

1 Like