Pointless PreSeason Predictions

This could be the one of most tight division races ever. Both divisions.

You are right . the big question is Collaros in Hamilton.
Will he be able to pick up where he left off ?
Even if the knee is 100 %, will he be in game shape because he was not able to do a regular off - season routine ?

Everyone is different, but Matt Dunigan had this injury in 93. Cost Winnipeg a for sure Grey Cup.
He came back even better in 94. Hope Collaros can do the same.

However, I am sure the team that wins the 2016 Cup will be from the East.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading that Collaros will almost certainly not be ready to start the season.

Indeed.

“He will not be able to participate in training camp. He will be going through his normal rehabilitation protocol so if you mean ‘will he be ready for the season coming out of training camp?’, the answer is no.?

So really, Hamilton will the team with question marks at QB to start the season. In Montreal, we’ll have Kevin Glenn as the de facto starter. And don’t forget the last-minute loss of OC Condell. He’s been replaced by a guy who is brand-new to the CFL. Question mark there too.

IIRC Collaros said that he expects to miss the first 4 weeks.

Checking the schedule, they play in Edmonton in week five and have a bye-week after that. Playing him for that one week wold seem odd so maybe he only returns for week 7 in Winnipeg then.

We’ll see.

Look at last year predictions, did anyone seriously pick Ottawa to have 12 wins and win the East?
Ottawa still has their four, 1,000 yard receivers and they got stronger at the QB, if Burris falters they have a great backup.
Ticats picked to be number one but struggled in the second half with the Zack injury. They will pick up where they left off last year struggling until Zack returns.
The Als struggled because of inconsistency at QB and missed the playoffs, looks like the same thing again this year.
If Ray is injured again this year or not fully recovered they won't have a backup.

same as last year:
Ottawa
Hamilton
Toronto
Montreal

The West:
Edmonton
Calgary
BC, Winnipeg, Sask all tied

I guess what I'm saying is that saying Montreal has QB issues is an easy talking-point that doesn't necessarily line up with reality. Look at the QBs who will begin the season as starters:

BC: Jennings
EDM: Reilly
CGY: BLM
WPG: Willy
SSK: Durant
TOR: Ray
OTT: Burris
MTL: Glenn
HAM: Masoli or Matthews

Out of that group, every team has someone proven except Hamilton. Now, obviously when Collaros gets back, that picture will change a lot, but if he's not back until week 7, he's missing a significant chunk of the season, which could affect the Cats' place in the standings.

QB depth is another story. If anything happens to Glenn, yes, I am quite willing to concede that Montreal will have serious issues. Having said that, you could say the same of Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, Toronto, and Ottawa too -- not too much QB depth on any of those teams either.

Hmm, I think Ottawa has the best depth in the league at Q.B.

Have I missed an OTT QB signing? Who do they have backing up Burris at the moment? To me, teams like Calgary, BC, and Edmonton have the best QB depth – each has a backup with plenty of experience starting CFL games (Tate, Lulay, and Nichols, respectively).

Trevor Harris who was a coveted FA signing for RB’s is backing Burris.
He led the league in TD’s in addition to being in the top 3 of most offensive passing categories despite missing 3 games.

Ohhhh, right! smacks head

Had forgotten about Harris and where he landed. OK, yes, I would put Ottawa in the “good QB depth” list, then.

The loss of Condell is not as bad as some think. Its Austin's Offence and always has been. He will have his nose in it all season and develop SP along the way. IMO Ottawa will finish 1st or second but defiantly not last place and I say the same about Hamilton.

Really its a toss up for the 1st second and third spot between Hammy, Ottawa and TO. I just don't feel Montreal has the coaching.

I think your point about Montreal’s QB situation is a good one nonetheless though. It’s easy to get a little caught up with all the other activity happening at the position and around the team in general.

I think it is obvious that SSK, EDM, TOR, and MTL have the weakest QB depth, they have HoF shoe in QB’s as starters,
But have unproven back ups.
It will be a very competitive season with this much parity in the League this year. :thup:

And there are MANY reasons to be skeptical about Montreal this year. I get that completely. We ourselves are skeptical, given what’s happened with the team over the past few years. But last year at this time, I don’t think anyone was expecting Ottawa to go 12-6 and make it to the Grey Cup final. :slight_smile: The game is played on the field.

IMO, HAM does not have strong backup depth either in Matthews, Masoli or Harris.

and TBH, I’d take McPherson (Ray’s backup) over the three we have…and I’m a Cats fan!

Pretty sure Nichols went to Winnipeg last year. So we will exchange Edmonton and Winnipeg on your list of Q.B. depth weakness.

Ah, ok, so yes, Edmonton is suspect there.

Franklin is a much better QB than Nichols. Theres a reason the Esks immediately traded Nichols to Winnipeg for a conditional 7th round pick once Reilly was healthy late last season.