Please stop adding pasted quotes in your responses!

I absolutely agree with the elimination of pasted quotes. What's the "obvious answer" that FYB refers to? Highlight and delete doesn't seem to work on my computer?

You probably missed it in among all the embedded quotes.

(An example of how partial quotes can be used effectively. And to do this, I always toggle to the native tagged mode. Much easier to tailor what I’m quoting.)

So this is what we are reduced to when our team is winning and we have nothing to complain about? Lol

Actually since Garney 26 was ‘triggered’ we can read all about the subsequent posters being shot in the street. Wait a minute, we aren’t in Toronto, are we?

(sometimes I can sound a little insensitive when joking. no offence was intended to any of the recent tragic victims :cry: of gunplay in Hog Town.)

Yeah, I want to see if I can find a mod for these forums that strips quotes after the 2nd level. Just not enough time to search / develop it though. :frowning:

The old forum prevented more than three levels, displaying an error message when trying to post. While there’s occasionally a good reason for more, it’s very rare. I do try to follow that rule …

… except, of course, in this thread - an excellent example of why the rule would be useful.

BTW, thanks, Sully, for all the work you’ve done on the site. I, for one, appreciate it.

This thread is pretty funny, in a twisted kind of way…

Kubla Khan
By Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(Or, a vision in a dream. A Fragment.)
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea…

I like the 3 quote limit myself. I usually try to cut out extra quotes that I don't need but sometimes it is hard to do. Don't know if it is IE or what.

Its easy enough to follow a casual convo without quotes. Unless your directly responding to a comment over time just state your point and post. It's much more of a pleasant read!

I know what you mean.

(Now it's up to all of you to figure out who I was replying to.)

Garney nailed it in the OP!
Just like good ol Garney Henley always did!

just wondering, what means “adding pasted quotes”?

Okay, I've turned on a feature that limits the nesting of quotes to just one level. I'd prefer it to be two or three levels, but that's what I've got to work with currently. Let's give it a try!

?

That should be OK. And it will make it a lot easier to read on my phone.

Thanks.

(And in case anyone misunderstood my posts on this thread, I totally agree with Garney26's point. My posts were mostly to demonstrate the issue.

And to have a little fun at the same time, of course.)

I agree. I’ve been laughing a lot at this.

It’s at the point where as I’m scrolling, there’s just lines on the screen.

Guess this is the thread to act juvenile about this topic, lol.

Though I agree, it does get annoying

Well that was an unexpected result

Seriously addressing this subject, I don't know if something I've often done is acceptable.

I will often edit a quote, from another poster, leaving visible, in my post, just the words, or statement, on which I wish to comment. If I've edited out words that were prior to what I've left showing, I use " ...... " before what I'm leaving. And, similarly, if I've cut out comments that followed what I'm leaving, I would use " ......" following the edited quote I've left showing.

it works for me and saves a lot of space in threads. Nobody's ever commented on my doing that, so I presume others are understanding what I'm doing.

I often do that as well. It does make the thread a lot easier to read.

Possibly the worst situation is when a quote includes a picture or five, and then someone quotes that.

Works well. Thanks.

And thanks, Garney26, for raising the issue in the first place. It’s bugged me for a while too.