Playoffs a given

The beauty of the CFL. Just beat Winnipeg enough times and the equally inept Eskimos { to eliminate the crossover } and the Cats are in. Throw in the now terrible Als and holy mackinaw its off to the playoffs! Have a couple of decent games in the Fall and gives the Cats the Grey Cup. Its so simple.

I don't think it would look good for the league to have a team making the playoffs with only 4 or 5 wins.

It happened in 1981,in the East that year,the Cats ended up with more wins than the other 3 teams combined

Ham.....11.....4.....1
Ott......5......11
Mtl......3......13
Tor......2......14

There was no cross-over rule in effect yet,so you had an East-Semi between a 5-11 vs 3-13
Ottawa fluked it's way into the Cup that year,beating the CATS in the East Final 17-13.Shortly after this the cross-over was implemented to insure of this situation not happening again.Since the implemtation of this,a 6-12 record is the worst record of any team making the play-offs up till this season.Hopefully we won't have a 4 or 5 win team make it this year,but right now it seems like a distinct possibility.

7-11 or 8-10 record is usually what is required for that last playoff spot

Suprisingly 8-10 was good enough to win the Cup in back to back seasons as B.C.(2000) @ Calg.(2001) turned the trick in those years.

http://cfl.ca/greycupcentral/year/2000 http://cfl.ca/greycupcentral/year/2001

The worst team record wise to ever play for the Cup was the 5-11 Ottawa Rough-Riders in 1981

The second worst team record wise to ever play for the Cup was the 6-9-1 Hamilton Ti-Cats in 1984

As far as I can recall these are the only sub .500 teams to ever qualify for the Grey Cup Game.

Ummm, did you happen to knock wood when you typed this title?

I certainly wouldn't call the playoffs a "given".

East Division standings at this time last year:

Hamilton 3-3 (Wins over Toronto and Montreal)
Toronto 3-3 (Win over Montreal)
Montreal 3-3 (Losses against Toronto and Hamilton)
Winnipeg 1-5

We all know how that turned out.

However, things do look favourable for a playoff spot this year.

It's really why we need more teams, I mean as it stands right now, you can win the Grey Cup if you beat out two teams in the standngs and win three games in a row.

As much as I will love it when we make the playoffs and head for the cup, I have to agree with Catsfan in Ottawa. I don't want the team to read this and decide to coast for the rest of the year.

Nothing is ever a given, you get what you earn (barring the rare occurrence of the refs directly influencing the outcome).
I agree that we SHOULD make the playoffs this year assuming our injured list doesn't stay as inflated as it has been, but nothing is guaranteed, we still have a hole to dig ourselves out of.......

In every year that there has been eight teams in the league (1987-1992, 1997-2001, 2006-2012), an eight-win team has never missed the playoffs. When Ottawa's back, it will at least ensure that a 7-11 team won't make it, but 8-10 still could.

Saskatchewan made it to the Grey Cup in 97 with an 8-10 record also. That was a pretty bad football team, led by Reggie Slack.

Good call Dust…I missed that one in 97,For some reason I thought the Riders were 9-9 that year!!

Lets update this then

1981…Ottawa…5-11 (lost to Edm)
1984…Hamilton…6-9-1 (lost to Wnp)
1997…Sask…8-10 (lost to Tor)
2000…B.C…8-10 (won over Mtl.)
2001…Calgary…8-10 (won over Wnp.)

Now I think we have it right!!!

:thup: :cowboy:

Gazing into my crystal ball....here is my prediction for the final standings for the season.

EAST

TOR....12-6
HAM....9-9
MTL....6-12
WNP....3-15

WEST

SASK....14-4
CALG....13-5
B.C......10-8
EDM.....5-13

72 WINS.....72....LOSES

Check back with me,on this when the season's over.....LOL.....I could be close(I think)or way off(who knows)
AGREE ? DISAGREE ? Lets see some other predictions from my fellow posters,gaze into that crystal ball,see what you come up with ? This is strictly for regular season only....play-off predictions/Grey Cup...?? God only knows about that!!

:roll: :rockin: :cowboy:

Oct 4th and Oct.14th are back to back jacks for us against the Arblows.
We win both those games and we have a great shot at 1st in the east
and host the eastern final in Guelph! :rockin:

Let's not count the playoffs as a given yet; but it's certainly looking good. I'm more interested in getting a home playoff game than just making the playoffs. You host a playoff game and anything could happen.

after looking at the remaining schedules, came to basically the same conclusion, except I have Calgary taking 2 of 3 against Sask and finishing first in the West. if Hamilton wins both games against T.O. it’ll be a dogfight for first in the East

EAST

TOR…11-7
HAM…9-9
MTL…6-12
WIN…4-14

WEST

CAL…13-5
SSK…13-5
BC…11-7
EDM…5-13

It's great to be optimistic but at this point in the season missing the playoffs is just as much a possibility.

Hence the "magical" crystal ball,Baldy....only the shadow knows the truth!!!!! :lol: